Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ordered a Palm Pre on amazon for like $16 and plan on overclocking it to 1ghz when I get it. Do people still use their Pre's? Do you have it overclocked? Just curious to get peoples comments. Love and MISS WebOS!
    ananimus and TheStigOnline like this.
  2.    #2  
    27 views and no help?
    The last WebOS item I used was the TouchPad. I have to admit to not doing a whole lot with it. The nice thing about these forums is that there are some devoted people that still use WebOS and are very knowledgable. Give them some time to respond. Unfortunately we don't have the thousands of visitors we used to have. Thus patience is a virtue here.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Hi Alexander,

YES!! I'm using my Palm Pre and still LOVING IT. I've got a backup number with an iphone, but never use it. The Pre is overclocked to 1gHz.

Good luck with your Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderMatthews View Post
    Ordered a Palm Pre on amazon for like $16 and plan on overclocking it to 1ghz when I get it. Do people still use their Pre's? Do you have it overclocked? Just curious to get peoples comments. Love and MISS WebOS!
    Not rocking the original Pre since the Pre2 came out, but I do still use my Pre2 and Pre3 when I get to missing the OS too much. I do use my Touchpad daily though
    ananimus and Rnp like this.
    I would say get one of the new models, something with a glass screen will look better longer. Pre2 its easier to get parts, pre3 if you want bigger screen.

But yes, still rocking webos and have no urge to quit
    ananimus, Rnp and TheStigOnline like this.
    I still use the comm board from my 2009 Sprint Pre in a Verizon Pre2 as my daily driver. I love the huge step up from the original Pre except for a couple of things I miss about 1.4.5 (.commands, some network app never updated to 2.x and a few things that aren't coming to mind) and I liked the curved face and physical center button. The Pre2 runs circles around the original Pre in most respects. I run uberkernel with the OnDemandTcl 1200 which scales from 300 to 1200MHz I don't recall the profile I was running on the original Pre, but I definitely was running uberkernel overclocked.
    I think there are still a few of us around running webOS daily - oh yeah, I use my touchpad every day as well.
    That's awesome! But really hoping you meant a Pre 2 or 3. Price difference is nothing now (if you can find them), performance and quality difference are everything. They have their tradeoffs, but in a Pre style, at least get a 2.

Pre 2 build quality and spec bumps were VERY helpful. And a lot of apps/support/batteries carried over from the Pre.

Pre 3 screen res and AF camera are VERY nice, though support and accessories are a little harder since it was terminated at birth. Plus some hardware-level changes (esp. battery and memory management) cause some nagging issues. Still, the community's done a lot to fill that gap since the devices still got out!

Anyway, heck yeah. There's still an avid, though much smaller group around here kickin' it! Not as many as there used to be though, so responses on the forum aren't as instant as the old days.
    TheStigOnline likes this.
    I would think it wouldn't take much browsing of the forums to see there are quite a few people here still rocking their webOS phones. I have briefly switched to other phones twice - once because of app envy, and once because Palm devices are now blocked from my work Exchange server. However, I switched back both times. I never really left, as I have 5 or 6 webOS phones and 2 Touchpads, and using it on a secondary device just wasn't satisfying enough, so I had to move back to webOS on my active phone. My main device is a Sprintified Pre 2, and I also have a Pre 3 I use regularly, that I was carrying with me while using an iphone as my active device. I decided if I was going to carry two phones, I might as well keep the Pre 2 as the active one.
    ananimus, pogeypre, Rnp and 1 others like this.
    Yeah. I'd add what you know: there are still things webOS still does better. If those things help, they kick the out of everything else out there and worth the abandonment. Synergy, just type, Touchstone, not giant phones

Anyway, still a perfect balance for me as a professional user (Exchange) with some support for personal (Google/Facebook stitched in too, podcasts and other smartphone things). WebOS puts it together without being tedious or distracting. Except this community, which is awesomely distracting.
    Still using Pre2 as only phone on uberkernel. Sync via Exchange (work) and Zarafa (home) still work great.
    I also have spare a Pre2 lying around as i could not give up the small formfactor, hardware keyboard and all my inductive Touchstone chargers.
    laingman and TheStigOnline like this.
    I have a Pre+ and a Pre3. I never saw a Pre2 face to face, but I would get one if I were on a tight budget because itīs great value for the price. Also, uberkernel is a must as is preware obviously. Me, I use my Pre3 on a daily basis and love it...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lispy View Post
    I have a Pre+ and a Pre3. I never saw a Pre2 face to face, but I would get one if I were on a tight budget because itīs great value for the price. Also, uberkernel is a must as is preware obviously. Me, I use my Pre3 on a daily basis and love it...
    Yeah, but I'm on Sprint so it's just the first good old Pre for me. I could try and FrankenPre a Pre 2. I know it wouldn't be difficult to swap the comm boards because I used to be a repair technician for Sprint. The only problem I would run into is getting it programmed.
    Crazy US. I can use any Pre on any carrier here in germany...
    Yeah, but I'm on Sprint so it's just the first good old Pre for me. I could try and FrankenPre a Pre 2. I know it wouldn't be difficult to swap the comm boards because I used to be a repair technician for Sprint. The only problem I would run into is getting it programmed.
    You can't activate a Pre 2 on Sprint - just make sure the comm board you swap in is already active and there are no issues. If for any reason you need to deactivate it, you have to put the board back in a Sprint Pre to reactivate it. Fortunately it's an easy swap once you have done it once.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 03/11/2014 at 07:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lispy View Post
    I am the opposite. Never seen a pre3 in person,. I would have gotten one if I wasn't married to sprint but I read something about free tether not working too good on pre3 so now I am glad I didn't get one especially for the price I would have paid at the time.

So its sprint and my pre2 for the foreseeable future, and I am still not paying that $10 smart phone tax, ha ha
  17.    #17  
    So if the comm board from a pre is active and I swap it onto a Pre 2 then there's nothing I need to do after that??
    So if the comm board from a pre is active and I swap it onto a Pre 2 then there's nothing I need to do after that??
    Yes, there is something that has to be done: build and install the meta-doctor for a Sprint Pre 2. The procedure is documented here: http://en.webos-internals.org/wiki/Sprint_Pre_2 The script you run depends on which type of Pre 2 you use. Also there are some forum threads on the topic. Save the resulting metadoctor jar and you can re-run it any time you feel the need to doctor your phone. As long as the phone is active, you will have no trouble signing back in (problems with profile servers excluded )
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 03/05/2014 at 01:27 PM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Yes, there is something that has to be done: build and install the meta-doctor for a Sprint Pre 2. The procedure is documented here: Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals The script you run depends on which type of Pre 2 you use. Also there are some forum threads on the topic.
    I may give that a shot. Still going to mess around with the Palm Pre though. Gosh, I miss WebOS.
    2 weeks ago I changed my pre for a new and marvelous pre3.
    Overclocked and with webos2.1 the pre was almost usable but lacks power.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast