Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
    So I assumed you have never used webos 2x version with the fancy card stacking. It replaced the mini-card view in the old versions of webos
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by juanma_1980 View Post
    2 weeks ago I changed my pre for a new and marvelous pre3.
    Overclocked and with webos2.1 the pre was almost usable but lacks power.
    Again, I would LOVE a Pre 3, but I'm unfortunately on Sprint. The thing that blows my mind to this day is they announce 3 products. The Veer, Pre 3, and the Touchpad. They release the Veer BEFORE the Pre 3?!? The Pre 3 had everything people with webos were asking for! Bigger screen, better build quality, faster internals, better camera, etc. Yet they take a step back and release the Veer...a smaller phone. I'm sure the sales weren't great so they pulled the plug. Literally the worst move at releasing the Veer first. Sorry for my rant lol. I may purchase a Pre 3 just to have and maybe someday activate it with a GSM carrier.
    Yep. Enjoy the Pre!

And what Matt said is of course right on. I Sprintified a Pre 2 after a while with my Pre-. Totallly worth it. And the software part wasn't that bad. Helps to know a little Linux, and trust in the directions.

If an MVNO like Straight Talk is an option, that's eventually why I left Sprint. Cheaper service, Pre 3 and *much* faster 3G.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderMatthews View Post
    Again, I would LOVE a Pre 3, but I'm unfortunately on Sprint. The thing that blows my mind to this day is they announce 3 products. The Veer, Pre 3, and the Touchpad. They release the Veer BEFORE the Pre 3?!? The Pre 3 had everything people with webos were asking for! Bigger screen, better build quality, faster internals, better camera, etc. Yet they take a step back and release the Veer...a smaller phone. I'm sure the sales weren't great so they pulled the plug. Literally the worst move at releasing the Veer first. Sorry for my rant lol. I may purchase a Pre 3 just to have and maybe someday activate it with a GSM carrier.
    No need to apologize for the rant. I'm sure there are a whole lot of people here that feel the same way.
    BobKy likes this.
    Ordered a Palm Pre on amazon for like $16 and plan on overclocking it to 1ghz when I get it. Do people still use their Pre's? Do you have it overclocked? Just curious to get peoples comments. Love and MISS WebOS!
    I am on my third Pre. I also had a Pixi. I use my 32G Touchpad everyday. Exhibition mode makes the Touchpad alarm clock too. I have no intention of switching to another OS any time soon. I'm also on Sprint. I'm on a REAL tight budget lately, so no Pre2 in the near future for me.

Only WebOS complaint I have is the "Cannot read MIME type" problem on PDF files. That is quite annoying.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
    I am on my third Pre. I also had a Pixi. I use my 32G Touchpad everyday. Exhibition mode makes the Touchpad alarm clock too. I have no intention of switching to another OS any time soon. I'm also on Sprint. I'm on a REAL tight budget lately, so no Pre2 in the near future for me.

Only WebOS complaint I have is the "Cannot read MIME type" problem on PDF files. That is quite annoying.
    Only your 3rd Pre? That's really not that bad!! Considering how I used to work for Sprint anytime I start having troubles with my Pre I will take it in and just have them order me another refurb. Also, Straight Talk wouldn't be a bad option, but I'm on a family plan with Sprint and I only pay about $50 a month for unlimited everything...plus I do have a iPhone 5, but I started thinking about WebOS and the good old days. Thought I'd get another one, overclock it, and test it out for a while.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I have also had virtually no problems with my Sprint Pre's. I am technically on my 3rd, but I only ever had one issue with my original Pre - it fell off of my lap onto a concrete floor and the touch screen would only work intermittently after that. The replacement for that (I'll call it #2) is still functional, but my dog chewed up the screen. I had purhcased my current one (#3) after I became upgrade eligible, simply so I would have a spare. My wife was using #2 when it got chewed up -- ironically, as she was rescuing my Pre from the dog. She didn't notice that Pre #2 had fallen on the floor, and he got it while she wasn't looking. Pre #3 is still intact and functional, but not active, as I replaced it with the Franken Pre2, using a different radio from a parts phone.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I have also had virtually no problems with my Sprint Pre's. I am technically on my 3rd, but I only ever had one issue with my original Pre - it fell off of my lap onto a concrete floor and the touch screen would only work intermittently after that. The replacement for that (I'll call it #2) is still functional, but my dog chewed up the screen. I had purhcased my current one (#3) after I became upgrade eligible, simply so I would have a spare. My wife was using #2 when it got chewed up -- ironically, as she was rescuing my Pre from the dog. She didn't notice that Pre #2 had fallen on the floor, and he got it while she wasn't looking. Pre #3 is still intact and functional, but not active, as I replaced it with the Franken Pre2, using a different radio from a parts phone.
    I think after a couple checks I'm going to invest in purchasing a verizon Pre 2 and attempt the FrankenPre 2...if it works you better believe I'm going to start saying, "It's alive...IT'S ALIIIIVE!!!"
    Grabber5.0 and ananimus like this.
  9.    #29  
    Also, can anyone shed some light on the battery life after overclocking the pre? Did anyone invest in the 1350mah extended battery for the pre?
    Battery life was never very good on the Pre - I wouldn't say overclocking made it a lot worse, but by then my batteries had started depleting anyway. I've gotten used to charging often to make sure I don't end up out somewhere with a dead phone.
    You can always use mode switcher or the patch that changes how often synergy connects to update calendar and contacts - I change that to 24h instead of the default 20 min and that helps even more than having the mode switcher connecting to the network on the hour for 5 min.
    Plus new batteries are dirt cheap on ebay - last/first time I bought 2 @ 2$!
    One build in Taiwan and one in China - the Taiwan showed more capacity in Dr Battery than the OEM one - not anymore after 7-8 months
    Also, can anyone shed some light on the battery life after overclocking the pre? Did anyone invest in the 1350mah extended battery for the pre?
    Got a mugen on the pre2 & I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not a heavy user and it lasts about a day. It's also nice to carry both batteries and just swap out when needed - I try to prioritise the old battery as it's dying anyway and hopefully maximise the mugen's life. It's possible to hot swap if you connect to USB and are quick! ;-)

I think there was a thread about replacement batteries, so you may get a better picture there.
    TheStigOnline likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Yep. Enjoy the Pre!

And what Matt said is of course right on. I Sprintified a Pre 2 after a while with my Pre-. Totallly worth it. And the software part wasn't that bad. Helps to know a little Linux, and trust in the directions.

If an MVNO like Straight Talk is an option, that's eventually why I left Sprint. Cheaper service, Pre 3 and *much* faster 3G.
    Red Pocket will have Verizon plans soon. Could be worth looking into to get out of the og Pre. I just reactivated mine for a spare line. If it had better storage I would use it as my always carry media player. Picked up a Kyocera Hydro for $10 (and 6 free months of Netflix) and have been using that for the same purpose. The things I want to do just can't be done on the Pre...Sonos controller, Harmony remote with their hub, media player with OTF playlists (just not enough storage). Shame as it's the perfect size to wear on the hip while running.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    1 Global Posts
    I've had a Palm pre for 4 yrs... I love it... but Verizon has it retired and my apps won't install anymore. I haven't found anything to help that problem...
    Ordered a Palm Pre on amazon for like $16 and plan on overclocking it to 1ghz when I get it. Do people still use their Pre's? Do you have it overclocked? Just curious to get peoples comments. Love and MISS WebOS!
    I still get my beloved PrPrPr&#$275$; $out$ $of$ $its$ $box$ $and$ $let$ $my$ $gesture$ $loving$ $fingers$ $be$ $happy$ $with$ $the$ $awesome$ $multitasking$ $of$ $WebOS$ $from$ $time$ $to$ $time$.

My wife and I also have a PalmPad each.

I'd love to be able to do with my PrPrPr&#$275$; $what$ $I$ $do$ $with$ $my$ $GS4$... &#$128551$;

Sent From The Pegassus Galaxy With My GS4
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Just fired up my Pre Plus this past weekend because my main device, a Nokia Lumia 928, developed touchscreen problems and is going in for warranty service. Had some of the issues others had with app catalog errors and such, but thankfully other users' tutorials helped me get through it. I'm very surprised how useful this device still is after 3-4 years. I got my Office 365 Exchange account set up without issue. I'm a paid Spotify subscriber and that app works just fine. Pandora is my go-to for radio listening--app works fine! I used AccuWeather on the Lumia and their app was still in the catalog...and it works great. From prior use, I had already installed the UberKernel, but somehow my Govnah app had gone missing, so I got that back on the device and everything is quite speedy. And I'm using Music Player Remix for the MP3 files I loaded into memory because they're not available on Spotify. Great app!

No complaints about network speed although it's "just" a 3G device. Apps "back then" seemingly were optimized for this kind of network speed. That's the bad thing about Android--while older devices will run newer apps, newer apps are optimized to run on the newer, faster networks, so using the newer apps on older devices can be very painful. Not so here.

What's most refreshing about this device is its size. The last three or four devices I've used have just been huge, uncomfortable to keep in your pocket when sitting down, difficult to use one-handed and such. This thing is tiny! Probably one of its strongest appeal factors.

Anyway, I guess I'll be using the ol' Palm for at least a couple of weeks while the 928 gets repaired. Who knows, maybe when that one comes back, it will have to earn its way back into my pocket due to a rekindled affection for the Pre Plus.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
    Rnp and Grabber5.0 like this.
    Just ordered me a used Palm Pre for sprint for 10 bucks on Ebay , rocked it for nearly 2 years and then switched to Android. I am super excited to try it out again, Android is a bit to bulky now in days. Glad to see the community is still around for this phone!
    You will need to update the certificate for the app catalogue. There are also patches for API changes in Google & Yahoo.

The Status Report will give you a start on current resources (link below).
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    You will need to update the certificate for the app catalogue. There are also patches for API changes in Google & Yahoo.

The Status Report will give you a start on current resources (link below).
    Not sure if you directed that at me, but I have everything set and have been reading whats changed, whats no longer available, etc. Is the consensus still to go to 2.1 on a Sprint pre minus? Or stay at 1.4.5? I remember 2.1 having memory leaks of some kind and causing the phone to hang randomly.

Loving the status report! Lots of great info. Can't wait till I get the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjacoder View Post
    Not sure if you directed that at me, but I have everything set and have been reading whats changed, whats no longer available, etc. Is the consensus still to go to 2.1 on a Sprint pre minus? Or stay at 1.4.5? I remember 2.1 having memory leaks of some kind and causing the phone to hang randomly.

Loving the status report! Lots of great info. Can't wait till I get the phone.
    I found 2.1 on my Sprint Pre to be too slow, so I built a Franken PreČ. On a Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 runs very well, esp over-clocked to 800 or 1000 MHz.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast