Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By trwrt
  • 1 Post By laoh
  • 1 Post By Alan Morford
  1.    #1  
    I still have my pre- and the weird thing is that when I fire it up once every few months, it's practically unusable b/c of the lag and stutter, even after going into Govnah to bump it up to 1ghz. It wasn't like that when I retired it.... scratching head. Does it just slowly die away over time?
  2. trwrt's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    #2  
    It might be trying to synchronize all the email, calendar, etc stuff that's changed since the last time it was on. How long do you let it run?
    xandros9 likes this.
  3. #3  
    Agree on background updates.

    Also, may need a Doctor or at least a full erase. Of course it will again be slow for first day or so while it syncs/sorts a ton of stuff.

    Also also, you may need something newer than a Pre-.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Agree on background updates.

    Also, may need a Doctor or at least a full erase. Of course it will again be slow for first day or so while it syncs/sorts a ton of stuff.

    Also also, you may need something newer than a Pre-.
    If he's on Sprint and he doesn't want to FrankenPre 2, he doesn't have much choice.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    If he's on Sprint and he doesn't want to FrankenPre 2, he doesn't have much choice.
    As a reformed Sprint user, my vote is entirely FrankenPre 2. Maybe the OP is just using as a spare wifi device though. And really, probably just leaving it up on wifi for a day or getting a fresh start would do it.

    I know having a lot of stuff in the different data bases (huge text or phone history, lots of photos, etc) also seemed to affect performance. Clearing those out may also help a bit. I used to be a history hoarder myself.

    Edit: Oh. And maybe make sure the Root Certificate update from the App Catalog is installed if it's not used a lot. Wouldn't think this would cause trouble, but who knows?
    Last edited by ananimus; 09/29/2013 at 01:07 PM.
  6.    #6  
    I've moved to Androidland since spring 2013 so the pre is no longer a daily driver but I still have it. Sometimes I'll just fire it up for no reason and that's when I noticed things being so slow. Maybe all the synching it's trying to do is the culprit as you guys say... Aside, what I can't get over is just how dang small the pre is compared to what I have now. It literally fits in the palm of my hand.
    ananimus likes this.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I've moved to Androidland since spring 2013 so the pre is no longer a daily driver but I still have it. Sometimes I'll just fire it up for no reason and that's when I noticed things being so slow. Maybe all the synching it's trying to do is the culprit as you guys say... Aside, what I can't get over is just how dang small the pre is compared to what I have now. It literally fits in the palm of my hand.
    I had the same thing happen to me when my Nexus died and I had to use my Pre+ temporarily (which enticed me back to webOS altogether). I kept thinking, this thing is TINY! I like my Pre 3 now though. Good size without being overly huge but small enough to not feel like I have a tablet in my pocket.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    ananimus likes this.
  8. #8  
    What you guys are saying is exactly why I stay in Preland. Haven't been able to get over how huge the Android phones are in comparison.

    The Pre 3 does hit a nice sweet spot between size and usability for those who prefer pocketability over most else. A hidden hardware keyboard goes a long way in making small still comfortable. (No on screen keyboard eating space, and can feel buttons so the smaller keyboard is still very usable.) I tried a Veer too actually. Freakishly small!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    What you guys are saying is exactly why I stay in Preland. Haven't been able to get over how huge the Android phones are in comparison.

    The Pre 3 does hit a nice sweet spot between size and usability for those who prefer pocketability over most else. A hidden hardware keyboard goes a long way in making small still comfortable. (No on screen keyboard eating space, and can feel buttons so the smaller keyboard is still very usable.) I tried a Veer too actually. Freakishly small!
    I would love to try a Veer but I have Verizon...and other than for testing I have no reason to buy one. I have THOUGHT about it for fun but there's no practical reason. I DO have every webOS phone released for Verizon though.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  10. azdenn's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #10  
    even a year on since moving to Lumia 920 on Windows, I keep having dreams of moving back to my palm pre+... I'm thinking of taking it to AT&T's prepaid GoPhone service... because I really only want a basic phone. Beyond making actual archaic phone calls and basic txt messaging, I've not found myself getting any extra use out of the Nokia. The poor battery life of the palm and the lumia don't allow for music playing, nor listening to the radio. I have no interest in apps, games, nor watching video... I just want a simple phone, palm pre+ is a more perfect size...

    just hafta find a new battery for the pre+, current original battery dies as soon as i take it off the touchstone...
    Palm IV > Palm Treo 600 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre Plus > Nokia Lumia 920

Similar Threads

  1. VZW Pre+ owners - nows the time to upgrade to the pre 2
    By Consequence_9 in forum Palm Pre 2
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09/19/2011, 08:15 PM
  2. Wrong Time with Network time on or off / time zone on or off?!
    By jossanaijr in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10/28/2010, 08:59 AM
  3. My Pre can't tell the time
    By Berath in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06/09/2010, 04:26 AM
  4. Long time Palm user, first time Pre owner
    By ging-ging in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01/27/2010, 10:23 AM
  5. Pre looses the time if battery is empty (and network time off)
    By brasax in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11/16/2009, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions