1.    #1  
    Has anybody had any trouble with sudden Power Loss with a Palm Pre?

I've been using a Palm Pre for the last 3 years (I've been holding off upgrading because I like the device and there isn't a similar device to upgrade to). Up until last week my Palm Pre has worked as expected, but in the last week I've experienced sudden power loss. The device has been at full charge and working normally. Then suddenly it will flash up the low power message. When I check the battery status I'm told I have 0% power and shortly after the device will shut down. Sometimes (but not always) applications appear to lock up for a second as the power is lost.

Has anybody had similar problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by tymefly View Post
    Has anybody had any trouble with sudden Power Loss with a Palm Pre?

I've been using a Palm Pre for the last 3 years (I've been holding off upgrading because I like the device and there isn't a similar device to upgrade to). Up until last week my Palm Pre has worked as expected, but in the last week I've experienced sudden power loss. The device has been at full charge and working normally. Then suddenly it will flash up the low power message. When I check the battery status I'm told I have 0% power and shortly after the device will shut down. Sometimes (but not always) applications appear to lock up for a second as the power is lost.

Has anybody had similar problems?
    I have had my PrePlus for over 4 years now, gone through three OEM batteries, 1183 versions, amazon has 1150 versions for like $3, 1183 are harder to find but they are out there.

After about ~1000 or so charges Li-Ion no longer charger right and also one of my batteries bulged like a mushroom...

So my first question do you have a spare battery? And if so does it do the same? If not get a few spare batteries for the future...
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I concur with the post above; sounds like it's time for a new battery. Should be able to find quite a few on Ebay these days.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info.

I have to admit I was wondering about the battery, but strange thing about it was the how quickly it's gone from a normal working system to something that fails after a few minutes of usage. Last week it was working as normal, and now it's virtually useless. I had expected the battery to get slowly worse as the cells degrade.

Sadly I don't have a spare battery, so I think eBay might the answer...

Cheers,
    Quote Originally Posted by tymefly View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I have to admit I was wondering about the battery, but strange thing about it was the how quickly it's gone from a normal working system to something that fails after a few minutes of usage. Last week it was working as normal, and now it's virtually useless. I had expected the battery to get slowly worse as the cells degrade.

Sadly I don't have a spare battery, so I think eBay might the answer...

Cheers,
    This I think is normal for Li-Ion's they drop fast (at least mine did, but then it exploded like a mushroom), My MAC battery did the same, worked great then boom mushroom, it was growing so big, it was making the touchpad mouse move on it's own... Something about how Li-Ion's work... you can Google about the life of a li-ion and bulging...

Make sure you get a new battery not a used one... they are cheap on Amazon/ebay...
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    This I think is normal for Li-Ion's they drop fast (at least mine did, but then it exploded like a mushroom), My MAC battery did the same, worked great then boom mushroom, it was growing so big, it was making the touchpad mouse move on it's own... Something about how Li-Ion's work... you can Google about the life of a li-ion and bulging...

Make sure you get a new battery not a used one... they are cheap on Amazon/ebay...
    Swelling is from heat. The drop off in capacity is normal over time, but made worse by heat.

- Matt
    I know the problem with sudden "power loss". So what about phones with non removable batteries, do they use different batteries/technology or not have this problem. Or just a palm pre issue
    It happens to all lithium batteries - removable or not.

- Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I know the problem with sudden "power loss". So what about phones with non removable batteries, do they use different batteries/technology or not have this problem. Or just a palm pre issue
    I have seen this with Li-Ion's removable or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It happens to all lithium batteries - removable or not.

- Matt
    Which is why it is so hard to find a Phone replacement, a lot of the newer phones are non-removable...

Apple and others would rather you replace the entire unit, instead of replacing the batteries...

My Son's IPOD 4thG Battery is starting to fail, sometimes it keeps a good charge and sometimes it lasts 5 minutes (although this is a teenager telling me, trying to see if he can get a newer replacement as a gift, hint hint), anyway looked at swapping the battery it is like a 42 step process including soldering...

When my Palm Phones die, or when Verizon no longer allows them to run, then I will have to look for a small pebble with a real keyboard and a removable battery (do not care for a big screen, I have a laptop/touchpad/tv for that).
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I have seen this with Li-Ion's removable or not...

Which is why it is so hard to find a Phone replacement, a lot of the newer phones are non-removable...

Apple and others would rather you replace the entire unit, instead of replacing the batteries...

My Son's IPOD 4thG Battery is starting to fail, sometimes it keeps a good charge and sometimes it lasts 5 minutes (although this is a teenager telling me, trying to see if he can get a newer replacement as a gift, hint hint), anyway looked at swapping the battery it is like a 42 step process including soldering...

When my Palm Phones die, or when Verizon no longer allows them to run, then I will have to look for a small pebble with a real keyboard and a removable battery (do not care for a big screen, I have a laptop/touchpad/tv for that).
    As adults, we can get away with replacing the device.. But we have to be 'mean' to our kids. Getting the battery replaced in a 4th gen iPod is probably not super cost-effective, but I guess it is still cheaper than a new one. I don't think I'd want to do it myself - not because I don't think I could, but because I don't want to deal with the hassle.

- Matt