Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I have a Pre+ that managed to cook itself to death and am wondering if it is possible to pull the flash memory out of it and either put it in another device (I presume I can get one from eBay or the like) or potentially an external hard drive case or something similar. If it is possible, how difficult is it? I have a good deal of experience with electronic repair and such so would just need to know what pieces and parts I need to pull and swap. Thanks!
    TBH I rarely look at the front page of Webos Nation. But I wouldn't mind seeing your idea adopted. My question, what in the hell would you write about? Lol

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    TBH I rarely look at the front page of Webos Nation. But I wouldn't mind seeing your idea adopted. My question, what in the hell would you write about? Lol

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    ROFL,

wrong thread.

@OP,

You mean the Pre+ doesn't respond to doctoring? What are the symptoms? Can you memboot and Novaterm into it, or is there absolutely no life signs, not even screen backlight?

I know that with the proper equipment, it is possible to pull data from the flash memory block by block, and then reconstruct the filesystem on the computer, but it takes skilled hands not to fry anything...
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    There is no life. Tried different batteries, tried leaving plugged in, my PC doesn't even register that it's connected so no doctor. It was on a TS for about a month and was hotter than a firecracker when I picked it up so I think either the processor or power board were literally cooked to death. Hence the question of being able to do a sort of Franken-pre with the memory portion.
    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusI View Post
    There is no life. Tried different batteries, tried leaving plugged in, my PC doesn't even register that it's connected so no doctor. It was on a TS for about a month and was hotter than a firecracker when I picked it up so I think either the processor or power board were literally cooked to death. Hence the question of being able to do a sort of Franken-pre with the memory portion.
    Yeah i see.

Sounds like the charging circuit failed.

I'm afraid you won't find much more help on this forum, but please hang around for at least a week, because someone like John Steffes would know more about the technique than i do.

Best i can do right now is find out the brand name and specs of the flash memory chip, which off the top of my head i remember to be an Elpida 16GB, but not much more. But what will need to be done, by an electronics tinkerer or hardware professional is to find the power, ground and data leads on the chip and hook up the equipment, then, if the chip isn't fried and responds as normal, download the chip's contents block by block, then under Linux (like Ubuntu) it should be possible to convert this raw dump into a "disk image" and specify block size and "drive geometry", then mount the image as a regular drive. Your USB partition is under /media/internal, while the apps are under /media/cryptofs, but i doubt those will be recoverable, since cryptofs is an encrypted file, mounted by webOS as a virtual directory and depends on some device hardware ID's or tokens to generate the crypto key...
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Quote Modified:

Sounds like the charging circuit failed.

I'm afraid you won't find much more help on this forum, but please hang around for at least a week, because someone like John Steffes would know more about the technique than i do.
    I have not attempted a NAND swap, although if one could unsolder each pin and then re-solder into another pre/preplus it is possible, and assuming one used the Show Properties (Preware App), and updated the phone with the tokens (it would then allow one to get to the cryptofs).

But I assume if the phone got hot enough the chip also overheated, but there is always a chance.

I have re-flashed many chips keyboard micro-processor's (in a old Compaq Presario), Touch/Digitizer Chips, Bios, CMOS, etc.. that were thought to be trash and they came back to life. So I will never say never, but the task is far from easy.

The biggest thing I would do is swap the COMM board as the charging circuit is with the comm board the chance the other parts might be ok.

FYI the Pixi/PixiPlus is the easiest as the WIFI swap also includes the NAND chip, although I have never seen one I have heard of a 16G WIFI PixiPlus. Would love to see a Pre/PrePlus/Pre2 NAND swapped from 8G/16G to 32G.
    Remy X likes this.