Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
Like Tree32Likes
  1.    #1  
    Wow it has been a while webOS Nation forums...LONG time fan. Pre Plus and Touchpad owner here. Gotta be honest...I've been using the Galaxy Nexus for the last (almost) 2 years. UNTIL IT DIED YESTERDAY. Had to call Verizon and order a replacement but in the meantime...I reached for my Palm Pre+. Dusted it off, charged it up, and booted her up (1.4.5.1). Hmmm I said. Needs 2.1.0. WEBOS INTERNALS...AWAAAAAAAY. Installed Ubuntu, ran through the steps (some links are dead) and installed 2.1.0. While this is happening I'm talking to the Verizon guy and he squared me away with the replacement and then asked if he could activate a phone for me. I said SURE! How about my Palm Pre+? "Oh sorry, after the HP Palm merger they disabled their profile servers. We can turn it on but you won't be able to get the phone completely activated". Right. #notbornyesterday #slackeremployee #misinformednincompooptechnician So AFTER I got my Pre booted up with 2.1.0 AND bypassed activation AND enabled WiFi AND installed and utilized Impostah (I really do love that app) my Pre+ activated on Big Red JUST. FINE. Just like I knew it would.
    Now that I'm playing with this wonderful little device (uberkernel and govnah help) I really do love it still. I'm due for a phone upgrade soon but the one I think I'll get isn't out yet (Note 3) so I think instead of turning my Nexus back on I'll just play with this here Pre+. Great device. Better platform. webOS.

    Thank you thank you thank you webOS Internals
  2.    #2  
    ...nevermind...
    Last edited by alanmorford; 08/13/2013 at 07:32 PM.
  3. #3  
    lol

    I have a Pre+ on Verizon, from launch day, still going strong with the WiFi hotspot as my home internet

    If anything happens to it, there's always the option of the faster, newer Pre2 (uses the same $3 batteries), or better yet, a "Verizon on Verizon" Frankenpre with the old phone's comm board in the Pre2 to retain the official hotspot plan


    Anyway, glad you're enjoying yours
    ananimus and steeled like this.
  4. #4  
    Oh, and BTW... the guy is even worse than incompetent.

    You don't have to bypass activation. All you have to do is get through First Use, then roll back the date to the beginning of July and download the "App Catalog Update" from the App Catalog. This will update the SSL root Certs and your Profile cloud backups will continue working like before...
    Rnp likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Oh, and BTW... the guy is even worse than incompetent.

    You don't have to bypass activation. All you have to do is get through First Use, then roll back the date to the beginning of July and download the "App Catalog Update" from the App Catalog. This will update the SSL root Certs and your Profile cloud backups will continue working like before...
    Yeah I had to do the cert thing with my Touchpad about 2 weeks ago because it's dual booted with CM 10.1. I hadn't used it in forever. In fact, when I got it the idea was my wife would use it. Didn't happen. So I removed her Palm profile and added mine. Wow I had a lot of apps! None of which installed of course...so I fixed the cert and all was well. Had to do the same thing with the Pre+. Wow launch day Pre+? Crazy man. I love this phone and I think webOS is awesome but what can't Android do? I'll give it to webOS for looks and functionality. But synergy has caught up and surpassed webOS these days.
    Rnp likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    lol

    I have a Pre+ on Verizon, from launch day, still going strong with the WiFi hotspot as my home internet

    If anything happens to it, there's always the option of the faster, newer Pre2 (uses the same $3 batteries), or better yet, a "Verizon on Verizon" Frankenpre with the old phone's comm board in the Pre2 to retain the official hotspot plan


    Anyway, glad you're enjoying yours
    You gotta find a Pre 3 on Verizon on ebay or something. Like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Palm-Pre-...item1c35944614
    Last edited by alanmorford; 08/13/2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added link
    ananimus likes this.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    You gotta find a Pre 3 on Verizon on ebay or something. Like this one HP Palm Pre 3 8GB Black Verizon Smartphone | eBay
    The Pre3's quality is crap TBH and replacement parts are expensive because it's rare. So, thanks but no thanks
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    The Pre3's quality is crap TBH and replacement parts are expensive because it's rare. So, thanks but no thanks
    OK fair enough fair enough. With my Pre+ overclocked I really don't have any complaints. I wonder if a Franken Pre 2 is really worth it for all the work it takes to make?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Yeah I had to do the cert thing with my Touchpad about 2 weeks ago because it's dual booted with CM 10.1. I hadn't used it in forever. In fact, when I got it the idea was my wife would use it. Didn't happen. So I removed her Palm profile and added mine. Wow I had a lot of apps! None of which installed of course...so I fixed the cert and all was well. Had to do the same thing with the Pre+. Wow launch day Pre+? Crazy man. I love this phone and I think webOS is awesome but what can't Android do? I'll give it to webOS for looks and functionality. But synergy has caught up and surpassed webOS these days.
    Glad you know. But yeah, i got my Pre+ right away, thinking that it's the closest thing to an iPhone, not realizing how much better it actually turned out to be
    Alan Morford likes this.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    OK fair enough fair enough. With my Pre+ overclocked I really don't have any complaints. I wonder if a Franken Pre 2 is really worth it for all the work it takes to make?
    It's worth it for the Sprint people, but for Verizon, the CDMA Pre2 can be activated just like that... but i'd prefer mine to show up as a Pre+, hence the comm board swap...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    ...nevermind...
    Thread title fixed
    Remy X likes this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    It's worth it for the Sprint people, but for Verizon, the CDMA Pre2 can be activated just like that... but i'd prefer mine to show up as a Pre+, hence the comm board swap...
    Oh yeah I forgot the Pre 2 was actually released normally on Verizon. Eh...I still don't really care. I heard there was a way to update Pres on Verizon to 2.2.4. What's yours running?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Oh yeah I forgot the Pre 2 was actually released normally on Verizon. Eh...I still don't really care. I heard there was a way to update Pres on Verizon to 2.2.4. What's yours running?
    Yes, i think John Steffes got that working, but everyone seems to say that 2.2.4 is slower and buggier on the Pre+ than 2.1

    I personally run 1.4.5, because i just don't care... it's a little lighter than 2.x and then i use DrewPre's Pre Backup Utility, and that's 1.4-only... In any case, i don't use more than a dozen apps, so i have no incentive to upgrade...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    The Pre3's quality is crap TBH and replacement parts are expensive because it's rare. So, thanks but no thanks
    No its not! Its has a wonderful build quality!
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    No its not! Its has a wonderful build quality!
    I agree with that! Having had a Pre+, Pre2 and the Pre3, the Pre3 is the best. I agree spare parts are hard to come by, I've got 2 backups for my Pre3.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    creepingmee likes this.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I agree with that! Having had a Pre+, Pre2 and the Pre3, the Pre3 is the best. I agree spare parts are hard to come by, I've got 2 backups for my Pre3.
    I second what broncot says. I had a Pre- (which is still perfectly functional BTW) since UK launch day but I now use a Pre3 (also since UK launch) and the build quality is much better, as is the functionality and speed.

    Spares are tricky but you can get batteries and accessories just fine and it's easy enough to pick up an entire spare phone (something I will almost certainly do soon).
    creepingmee and steeled like this.
  17.    #17  
    I've been inspired to return to webOS for my primary phone. Check out the conversation I had with Verizon today to clear up confusion about losing unlimited day and how that happens How and Why unlimited on VZW goes away and how to avoid it and check out this post for what I just did here Just bought a Pre 3!
  18. noahisaac's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Yes, i think John Steffes got that working, but everyone seems to say that 2.2.4 is slower and buggier on the Pre+ than 2.1

    I personally run 1.4.5, because i just don't care... it's a little lighter than 2.x and then i use DrewPre's Pre Backup Utility, and that's 1.4-only... In any case, i don't use more than a dozen apps, so i have no incentive to upgrade...
    I can confirm that you should NOT use 2.2.4 on a Pre+. I really wanted to get it working for Skype, but there are just too many bugs. Despite following all of John Steffes's instructions, and testing a million settings and kernel variations, I was never able to get 2.2.4 running on a Pre+ for more than a few days without a spontaneous reboot. Often the reboots were 5+ times per day. I tried for about 6 months, and finally gave up and bought a cheap Pre2 instead.

    On that note: To those thinking about creating a FrankenPre2 to retain the tethering capability: I don't think you need to do this. I always had my Pre+ tethering plan, and since I activated my Pre2, it's still working. Although, I do use freeTether. Not sure if that makes a difference. I use about 10-12 GB a month through tethering, and I have not been charged anything extra so far.
    Remy X likes this.
  19. #19  
    I didn't say build quality

    I was referring to board components, which you cannot swap out individually when they die. You can bury your head in the sand all you want...

    Sure, the slider and keyboard are rock solid, (same parts that truly suck on the Pre+), but the failure rate for electronics is much higher than the Palm-era webOS phones (not counting the poorly assembled Pre-) and is in line with what I saw happening to HP pc's back when I was doing repairs and tech support.

    You can defend HP all you want, no one is arguing about the quality of the slider. But when your phone suddenly dies, you'll still come here to post a thread and that will again count towards its statistics
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Oh yeah I forgot the Pre 2 was actually released normally on Verizon. Eh...I still don't really care. I heard there was a way to update Pres on Verizon to 2.2.4. What's yours running?
    Hi, I have a PrePlus and I am running webOS 2.2.5 on it (parts from webOS 2.2.5 from Verizon Pre3)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Yes, i think John Steffes got that working, but everyone seems to say that 2.2.4 is slower and buggier on the Pre+ than 2.1

    I personally run 1.4.5, because i just don't care... it's a little lighter than 2.x and then i use DrewPre's Pre Backup Utility, and that's 1.4-only... In any case, i don't use more than a dozen apps, so i have no incentive to upgrade...
    I agree webOS 2.2.4/2.2.5 is bugger then webOS 2.1.0 on the PrePlus...

    But better then webOS 1.4.5.1 (YMMV), the reason for me was the LunaSysMgr in webOS 2.x is compiled C code versus the old javascript Luna which always seemed to have memory leaks..

    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    No its not! Its has a wonderful build quality!
    The Pre3's build quality is better is some respects, but I find, the Pre3 have a higher rate of NAND failures then the Pre/PrePlus/Pre2.

    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I agree with that! Having had a Pre+, Pre2 and the Pre3, the Pre3 is the best. I agree spare parts are hard to come by, I've got 2 backups for my Pre3.
    I love my Pre3, as a developer device, but the Apps never were configured (yes I know I can hack them to make them sort of work), but some apps just do not work at all...

    Quote Originally Posted by noahisaac View Post
    I can confirm that you should NOT use 2.2.4 on a Pre+. I really wanted to get it working for Skype, but there are just too many bugs. Despite following all of John Steffes's instructions, and testing a million settings and kernel variations, I was never able to get 2.2.4 running on a Pre+ for more than a few days without a spontaneous reboot. Often the reboots were 5+ times per day. I tried for about 6 months, and finally gave up and bought a cheap Pre2 instead.

    On that note: To those thinking about creating a FrankenPre2 to retain the tethering capability: I don't think you need to do this. I always had my Pre+ tethering plan, and since I activated my Pre2, it's still working. Although, I do use freeTether. Not sure if that makes a difference. I use about 10-12 GB a month through tethering, and I have not been charged anything extra so far.
    I have never been able to make my FrankenKernel to be stable (webOS 2.1.0 PrePlus kernel with webOS 2.2.4 parts mashed in), it does reboot on me about every week or so...

    Now as with the 5G Free Tethering, as with the Mobile Hotspot, the moment you switch from a PixiPlus/PrePlus to a Pre2/3 on Verizon you loose the 5G mobile hotspot (yes Freetether app is not affected, as it is designed to look like data that comes from your phone, not from tethering as I understand it, do not use it), as I have a PrePlus/PixiPlus/Pre2/Pre3 I can validate the moment you switch the free hotspot goes away, however, the moment you switch back it does come back.

    Also the Visual Voice Mail on the Pre3 I could never get to work, even with Verizon adding a $1.99 plan to have that function it still never worked.

    Also I have heard others swapping their Verizon PrePlus comm board, into a Verizon Pre2 device (FrankenPre2) and the Pre2 looks on Verizon as a PrePlus, but also the Palm Profile also see's the device as a PrePlus, using an impostah app it is reported one can force Palm to see it as a Pre2, but keep Verizon seeing it as a PrePlus, keeping the free 5G mobile hotspot...

    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    I didn't say build quality

    I was referring to board components, which you cannot swap out individually when they die. You can bury your head in the sand all you want...

    Sure, the slider and keyboard are rock solid, (same parts that truly suck on the Pre+), but the failure rate for electronics is much higher than the Palm-era webOS phones (not counting the poorly assembled Pre-) and is in line with what I saw happening to HP pc's back when I was doing repairs and tech support.

    You can defend HP all you want, no one is arguing about the quality of the slider. But when your phone suddenly dies, you'll still come here to post a thread and that will again count towards its statistics
    I agree the NAND failure rate of the Veer/Pre3/Touchpad is way to high... Although the build quality is great the quality of the components are not, and failure to glue the volume ribbon down will cause the volume button to fail over time...
    Remy X and steeled like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is Rock Band 3 Commercial Guy PAAAAALLLMMM Guy??
    By Evansgw in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11/12/2010, 08:48 PM
  2. Overclocking question from a non-tech guy
    By luau joe in forum webOS Patches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06/10/2010, 08:01 AM
  3. Verizon tech support response to my GPS issues
    By YankBoy in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05/09/2010, 07:14 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01/13/2010, 08:22 AM
  5. Verizon's Top Guy Confirms Treo 600 Availability
    By charlynu in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06/08/2004, 04:04 PM

Posting Permissions