Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28
Like Tree32Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Hi, I have a PrePlus and I am running webOS 2.2.5 on it (parts from webOS 2.2.5 from Verizon Pre3)...



    I agree webOS 2.2.4/2.2.5 is bugger then webOS 2.1.0 on the PrePlus...

    But better then webOS 1.4.5.1 (YMMV), the reason for me was the LunaSysMgr in webOS 2.x is compiled C code versus the old javascript Luna which always seemed to have memory leaks..



    The Pre3's build quality is better is some respects, but I find, the Pre3 have a higher rate of NAND failures then the Pre/PrePlus/Pre2.



    I love my Pre3, as a developer device, but the Apps never were configured (yes I know I can hack them to make them sort of work), but some apps just do not work at all...



    I have never been able to make my FrankenKernel to be stable (webOS 2.1.0 PrePlus kernel with webOS 2.2.4 parts mashed in), it does reboot on me about every week or so...

    Now as with the 5G Free Tethering, as with the Mobile Hotspot, the moment you switch from a PixiPlus/PrePlus to a Pre2/3 on Verizon you loose the 5G mobile hotspot (yes Freetether app is not affected, as it is designed to look like data that comes from your phone, not from tethering as I understand it, do not use it), as I have a PrePlus/PixiPlus/Pre2/Pre3 I can validate the moment you switch the free hotspot goes away, however, the moment you switch back it does come back.

    Also the Visual Voice Mail on the Pre3 I could never get to work, even with Verizon adding a $1.99 plan to have that function it still never worked.

    Also I have heard others swapping their Verizon PrePlus comm board, into a Verizon Pre2 device (FrankenPre2) and the Pre2 looks on Verizon as a PrePlus, but also the Palm Profile also see's the device as a PrePlus, using an impostah app it is reported one can force Palm to see it as a Pre2, but keep Verizon seeing it as a PrePlus, keeping the free 5G mobile hotspot...



    I agree the NAND failure rate of the Veer/Pre3/Touchpad is way to high... Although the build quality is great the quality of the components are not, and failure to glue the volume ribbon down will cause the volume button to fail over time...
    Wow. This is scaring me. Are you trying to scare me? Is this phone going to implode the minute I turn it on? Anybody out there that has a Pre 3 that hasn't had problems should chime in any second now.
  2. #22  
    Do your backups diligently and let fate take its course... You may be lucky enough to get another two years out of it, and yet someone else will have to replace theirs in six months.

    Besides NAND (SSD storage) failure, the charging circuit may fail, or the graphics chip... Fairly predictable...
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Wow. This is scaring me. Are you trying to scare me? Is this phone going to implode the minute I turn it on? Anybody out there that has a Pre 3 that hasn't had problems should chime in any second now.
    Sorry NOT meant to scare you...

    Just as Remy X, has posted there are many threads of NAND lock issues on the Veer, Pre3 and Touchpad, more then the Pre/PrePlus/Pre2...

    Now have I seen a NAND lock on a PrePlus yes, I bought one as a spare, was a Verizon Demo unit (never used), and I doctored it from webOS ~ 1.2.x to 1.4.5.1 and it never came back... It got webOS 1.4.5.1 but it's NAND got locked and it no longer would accept a device wipe... nor a fresh doctor...

    Now there are ways HP/Palm/Samsung has to unlock their NAND chips, I do not have the tools, but I have seen others who have unlocked NAND chips in other devices, but I have never heard anyone not even Rod who has unlocked a NAND webOS device.

    This is not to scare you or anyone, my Pre3 works fine (although it is a developer device) and it has not locked as of yet, but make sure you fix the volume rocker ribbon cable or you will loose the volume controls... (a click during the rocker opening is the signal of a volume ribbon cable being hit by the rocker chaffing the ribbon)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Do your backups diligently and let fate take its course... You may be lucky enough to get another two years out of it, and yet someone else will have to replace theirs in six months.

    Besides NAND (SSD storage) failure, the charging circuit may fail, or the graphics chip... Fairly predictable...
    Even though I am responding to Remy X's post it is directed to alanmorford:

    I agree backup the device, and enjoy it, it is a great device, and with the APP hacks one can make almost all APPs work (there was only a few that I could not fix)...

    Make sure you get a spare battery (if you can get a OEM HP/Palm branded, they do exist as spares), 3rd party batteries although they work, I have heard cause issues (reboots and circuit issues)...

    Also get a screen protector and case (I used a skinomi, http://www.skinomi.com/hp-pre-3-carb...protector.html), and it protected both, more from a cracking then from dropping, a hard shell case might be better but as it is a developer device...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 08/14/2013 at 07:48 PM.
    Remy X and steeled like this.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Sorry NOT meant to scare you...

    Just as Remy X, has posted there are many threads of NAND lock issues on the Veer, Pre3 and Touchpad, more then the Pre/PrePlus/Pre2...

    Now have I seen a NAND lock on a PrePlus yes, I bought one as a spare, was a Verizon Demo unit (never used), and I doctored it from webOS ~ 1.2.x to 1.4.5.1 and it never came back... It got webOS 1.4.5.1 but it's NAND got locked and it no longer would accept a device wipe... nor a fresh doctor...

    Now there are ways HP/Palm/Samsung has to unlock their NAND chips, I do not have the tools, but I have seen others who have unlocked NAND chips in other devices, but I have never heard anyone not even Rod who has unlocked a NAND webOS device.

    This is not to scare you or anyone, my Pre3 works fine (although it is a developer device) and it has not locked as of yet, but make sure you fix the volume rocker ribbon cable or you will loose the volume controls... (a click during the rocker opening is the signal of a volume ribbon cable being hit by the rocker chaffing the ribbon)...



    Even though I am responding to Remy X's post it is directed to alanmorford:

    I agree backup the device, and enjoy it, it is a great device, and with the APP hacks one can make almost all APPs work (there was only a few that I could not fix)...

    Make sure you get a spare battery (if you can get a OEM HP/Palm branded, they do exist as spares), 3rd party batteries although they work, I have heard cause issues (reboots and circuit issues)...

    Also get a screen protector and case (I used a skinomi, Skinomi TechSkin - HP Pre 3 Carbon Fiber Skin Protector), and it protected both, more from a cracking then from dropping, a hard shell case might be better but as it is a developer device...
    Ok well I can't say I feel better but I went ahead and bought a screen protector and battery to start the protection and preservation! HP PRE3 Original Battery New | eBay looks HP branded to me, hopefully it's not DOA. I guess I'll just hope for the best. The Pre+ I have is device number 4...I wasn't rough on it but they just died...it's funny though because they're so cheap now. Even Pre 2s are going for a little over $30 on ebay. Is there a resource you use for the app hacks or is it all found in Preware?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Wow. This is scaring me. Are you trying to scare me? Is this phone going to implode the minute I turn it on? Anybody out there that has a Pre 3 that hasn't had problems should chime in any second now.
    I've been using my Verizon Preł for over a year with no problems.

    Even though a 10% failure rate would indicate unacceptably low manufacturing or component quality for an actively-sold product, it would still mean a 90% chance of getting a good phone. The truth is, no one really knows what the failure rate is, since there's no data repository (as we'd have if HP was providing warranty service on the Prełs). It's all just guess and conjecture.

    As with any grey-market device, you rolls the dice and takes your chances.

    Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Alan Morford and Remy X like this.
  6. #26  
    I have a used old beat up pre3 with a crack on the screen in the corner that has been dropped, kicked, stepped on, and smashed more than any phone should be, still going stong, I also have a new one in box as a backup just in case, but my trusty pre3 has never let me down and has no hardware problems in the year I have been using it, and I bought it well used and abused.
  7. #27  
    No need for scares or worries. Its going on 2 years and the only 'issue' was the "P middle" falling off the back logo (wasting time searching for a silly piece of vinyl was not one of my prouder moments).
    Indeed, the number of posts spanning at least 3 threads (here, hear and hare ) also hint of unusually high failure rates. Yet, the sky is in place.

    I say enjoy life, invest in a Pre3 if you like and hope that the more serious issues mentioned are outside the norm, reflecting skewed observation. Its difficult to pin down the number of devices sold and near impossible to compare against anything. At the PC repair shop one would find mostly broken PCs; at the hospital, mostly the sick. It says nothing, however, in the absence of other data. A safe assertion is that the majority of happy device owners (likely non-techs) do not frequent this forum. The ones we see are those w/ issues but how do we stack the one group against the other?

    Hopefully its not high failure rates or planned obsolescence and your Pre3 will give at least 3 years service. If for some reason you find that you bought a lemon, just do what rational folks do w/ lemons.
    steeled likes this.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    No need for scares or worries. Its going on 2 years and the only 'issue' was the "P middle" falling off the back logo (wasting time searching for a silly piece of vinyl was not one of my prouder moments).
    Indeed, the number of posts spanning at least 3 threads (here, hear and hare ) also hint of unusually high failure rates. Yet, the sky is in place.

    I say enjoy life, invest in a Pre3 if you like and hope that the more serious issues mentioned are outside the norm, reflecting skewed observation. Its difficult to pin down the number of devices sold and near impossible to compare against anything. At the PC repair shop one would find mostly broken PCs; at the hospital, mostly the sick. It says nothing, however, in the absence of other data. A safe assertion is that the majority of happy device owners (likely non-techs) do not frequent this forum. The ones we see are those w/ issues but how do we stack the one group against the other?

    Hopefully its not high failure rates or planned obsolescence and your Pre3 will give at least 3 years service. If for some reason you find that you bought a lemon, just do what rational folks do w/ lemons.
    That was the most philosophical response about a phone I have ever read.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Is Rock Band 3 Commercial Guy PAAAAALLLMMM Guy??
    By Evansgw in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11/12/2010, 08:48 PM
  2. Overclocking question from a non-tech guy
    By luau joe in forum webOS Patches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06/10/2010, 08:01 AM
  3. Verizon tech support response to my GPS issues
    By YankBoy in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05/09/2010, 07:14 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01/13/2010, 08:22 AM
  5. Verizon's Top Guy Confirms Treo 600 Availability
    By charlynu in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06/08/2004, 04:04 PM

Posting Permissions