Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jochen K.
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

is there any way to restore the contents of the .appstorage folder that I lost (through a concerted effort of my stupidity and Palm's crass idiocy)?

Having lost (I thought) my Pre+ some weeks ago, I searched the net and found a new (as in "still in its sealed box") Pre-, bought it, and found that the latest backup of the Pre+`s .appstorage directory was nearly a year old (there is one app I use a lot, which has accumulated a massive amount of data, and unfortunately is not on Save/Restore's list).

I installed everything on my "new" device... and yesterday the cleaner in my office found the Pre+ - it had somehow fallen behind my desk and cunningly hidden behind a desk leg.

So - all my data were back, but rather than backing it up, I decided to reactivate the Pre+; I was aware that (unlike with Android) you can't run two devices on the same profile, but stupidly assumed that the profile mangement had been programmed in a customer friendly way (I have migrated countless PC programs from old to new PC repeatdly, and am used to being asked "This software has been registered for a different PC; do you want to transfer the registration to this one?")

Not good enough for Palm - they simply erased my Pre+ - giving me the choice to "just reboot" or "delete everything from USB storage"; I chose "just reboot", but they deleted .appstorage anyhow. (The way they cared about their customers, it's no wonder they went out of business.)

I've got three data recovery programs on my PC, none of which I had actually ever needed.

Now I found that two just offer to restore file types like pdf, mp3, jpg, and the third (freeware Recuva) found all kinds of other stuff, including one .db file, but reported "235 files found, 8834 ignored".

Do the experts know of any bit of Windows software that can help me, or are the data gone for good?

Regards,

Jochen
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Try piriform's "Recuva" recovery (the "free" one with no support is totally fine). It should restore all files, regardless their extension.
    As i think this dir in the FAT partition you could try to use the very good commercial GetDataBack FAT

It's "free to try" so you can see if it could recover what you need. before buying.
    Data Recovery Software Products - Runtime Software Products

There are serveral other products in this field, i just had good results on usual HDDs with that one.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 07/10/2013 at 12:43 AM.
    I'm not entirely sure if Palm simply marks files for deletion or actually destroys the file content, but it's kind of past my bedtime and I'll revisit the subject tomorrow. There's a nice free file recovery app for Windows that verifies file integrity and shows red, yellow and green bars to mark how well preserved (or overwritten) each file is, so I'll dig it up for you.

But hey, watch what you say there. It doesn't sound like you know the real story of what happened at Palm in the last years. WebOS was literally cobbled together by a couple of overworked engineers, and when you work nights like that, there's absolutely no guarantee you'll think of everything and catch every embarrassing bug. Cheap hardware and Verizon's treachery played a role in Palm's demise, and there's been other factors as well, but don't discount the hard work of the people who put their heart and soul into making webOS into a tangible, working reality. They still deserve respect, no matter how things have turned out in the end.

If you don't believe me, fine. You can read "From Pre to post-mortem" on the Verge yourself, and then I'll post a couple of other links of worthy reading, detailing Palm's history, and then some personal experiences of other people.

And don't forget that some of the same people still post here occasionally.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post

But hey, watch what you say there. It doesn't sound like you know the real story of what happened at Palm in the last years. WebOS was literally cobbled together by a couple of overworked engineers, and when you work nights like that, there's absolutely no guarantee you'll think of everything and catch every embarrassing bug. Cheap hardware and Verizon's treachery played a role in Palm's demise, and there's been other factors as well, but don't discount the hard work of the people who put their heart and soul into making webOS into a tangible, working reality. They still deserve respect, no matter how things have turned out in the end.
    Sorry - I stand corrected.
    I'm afraid I let my vast irritation (made much worse because I could simply have backed up....) get the better of me.

I beg the pardon of everyone I insulted.

Regards,

Jochen
    Remy X likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    As i think this dir in the FAT partition you could try to use the very good commercial GetDataBack FAT
    Thanks for the info - unfortunately, while it's better than the other stuff I tried - I think it shows even more than Recuva - the list is still very limited; at some point you can select to be shown "Recommended" (or something like that) or "All"; I chose "All", and a very long list of cryptic names scrolled by - with the word "ignored" again being the Star of the show.

Regards,

Jochen
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    Sorry - I stand corrected.
    I'm afraid I let my vast irritation (made much worse because I could simply have backed up....) get the better of me.

I beg the pardon of everyone I insulted.

Regards,

Jochen
    Thank you

Oh, and i've found the app for you. There's no guarantees that it will work better than the other options, but i've used it in the past and it's worked well.

It's called Recover Files 2.02...

Now, just a heads up, this is the older version (2.02) which is free. The newer version available elsewhere (3.29+) is full of malware AND you have to pay for it.

Read here: Recover files 2.02
    Download there: Recover Files - Download - COMPUTER BILD (I've personally tested the download)

Hopefully you'll get some use out of it, now or later

And now for the links:

Pre to postmortem: the inside story of the death of Palm and webOS | The Verge, as mentioned

webOS on The Verge, a blog post by Josh Marinacci concerning the above article, and be sure to read the comments at least here. Some of the "Pre to post-mortem" comments are informative as well, while others are just reactionary.

Palm: I'm ready to wallow now, an interesting read on pre-webOS Palm and the company's many "mutations", spin-offs and mergers...

Ivan Gevirtz - My Palm Pre Keeps Failing Me, a firsthand experience of the launch-day Pre-, told by Ivan Gevirtz.. It sums up the product pretty well, even though he's never mentioned the "slider crashes" or having to go through a half dozen refurb phones before finding one that's "just right".

I have since forgotten where i read this, but in the first two months since the release of the Sprint Pre- in June '09, there was a constant stream of OTA updates to fix obvious bugs and missing functionality. They've met the deadline and then finally got the time to work on what webOS should have been. But as you can see, even Touchpad-era webOS carries with it some of the "launch day" bugs

On the developer side, it was similarly a mess and a work in progress. PDK (C++) was released much later, debugging was a pain and still is, many APIs were off limits due to the threat of system updates breaking apps. And much more.

From hardware (loose battery that caused slider closing induced crashes/shutdowns) to software (the missing alarm clock app and a whole lot more), to developer tools and system APIs, it was all very "alpha" and not even beta when the Pre was released.

But even with all that, the webOS user experience still managed to surpass the bigger budget projects like iOS and Android, a real testament to the skill, will power and dedication of those who built it. No one else had cards, a gesture area and an inductive charging Touchstone dock (that still works more reliably than that newer copies sold by competitors like Google)... That's why we still like it, bugs and all
    Last edited by Remy X; 07/09/2013 at 04:27 PM.
    hulickr likes this.
    So once you install and run "Recover Files", in the left pane uncheck the system drive (C:\) or whatever else there is besides the Pre+, and click "Analyze". Once that's done, in the same left pane you will see some pre-defined file categories, and then one for "other files", which is what you'll most likely need.

But still, there is no guarantee that the files have not been overwritten by Palm.

You'll only have files and not directories, but you may be able to reassemble the directory tree by hand, since the file paths are listed.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    But still, there is no guarantee that the files have not been overwritten by Palm.

Thanks a million - both for the software link and the informational links.

I'll take a closer look at both during lunch break.

Regards,

Jochen
  10.    #10  
    Well....

I've got my lost files back - I think; rhere were more than 100000 files on the USB partition, 99000 of which have cryptic names like =22XQHYULIGUIW2QZY75QLA===.
    I've saved them to my PC and (over the weekend) will try to deal with them.

Thanks again to all who offered advice and liNKs.

Regards,

Jochen

P.S. The articles quoted above by Remy X are definitely "recommended reading" for WebOS enthusiasts! (...even if they make you want to cry)
    Last edited by Jochen K.; 07/10/2013 at 05:04 AM. Reason: typo, addition
    for your personal data, the .db files should be most valuable, the crypted stuff should be not that important as the apps can be reinstalled (if they are still there in app catalog).

To restore those app .db files just open the newly installed app once (so a media/internals/.appstorage/<app subdir>/<whaterever-new-id>.db and/or /var/palm/data/<app subdir>/<whaterever-new-id>.db) is created. then rename your restored <whatever-old-id>.db to <whaterever-new-id>.db and overwrite the new one in the appropriate folders. This is the method save&restore does automatically.
    Then all data should be back, well at least if nothing was stored in app-cookies.

I'll add this to "My hidden webOS Tips and Tricks" link in my signature. e.g. there is a backup method for all apps installed on a device with "mybackup" by Metaview, to restore if removed from appcat.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    for your personal data, the .db files should be most valuable, the crypted stuff should be not that important as the apps can be reinstalled (if they are still there in app catalog).

To restore those app .db files just open the newly installed app once (so a media/internals/.appstorage/<app subdir>/<whaterever-new-id>.db and/or /var/palm/data/<app subdir>/<whaterever-new-id>.db) is created. then rename your restored <whatever-old-id>.db to <whaterever-new-id>.db and overwrite the new one in the appropriate folders.
    Hi,

I would love to do that, but the one .db file I'm looking for was stored in the old .appstorage, which Palm deleted when they found the device was "no longer connected to your profile", and that's what has me even think of trying to find it - supposing it IS one of those 99000 files.

Regards,

Jochen