Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By namgod
  1.    #1  
    I continue on with my original Palm Pre Plus (with even my original Compuserve email address), but the hardware seems to finally be crapping out. The slider wobbles, the button is no longer working to turn the screen on or off, there is a crack in the screen etc . I have a brand-new Palm Pre Plus sitting in a box. What are the steps to switching to this phone? With all the updates and software patches I have installed over the years, I'm afraid I'll royally screw things up. Any advice from the great minds here at WebOSNation?
    Quote Originally Posted by dfbaskwill View Post
    I continue on with my original Palm Pre Plus (with even my original Compuserve email address), but the hardware seems to finally be crapping out. The slider wobbles, the button is no longer working to turn the screen on or off, there is a crack in the screen etc . I have a brand-new Palm Pre Plus sitting in a box. What are the steps to switching to this phone? With all the updates and software patches I have installed over the years, I'm afraid I'll royally screw things up. Any advice from the great minds here at WebOSNation?
    Depends on what you want to do?

Replace the parts that are causing you issues (keyboard, buttons, slider, plastic housing, etc...)

Replace the entire phone (backup the old phone as some apps may no longer be available, so you can side load apps or create new IPK's based on the backups), re-install app, save/restore for save data, patches, etc...

Explain what you want to do and someone can point you in the right direction, even heard someone has swapped their comm board from a PrePlus into a Pre2 (Franken Pre2), which kept them on Sprint, or Verizon with the Free Hotspot, but with the Pre2 hardware, even heard of someone who swapped their PrePlus Screen with the Pre2, as they liked the Plastic Screen versus the Gorilla Glass.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    1. Use Preware to update the "Save Package List" this is a list of everything you've installed from Preware.

2. Take screen shots of your app icons in the Launcher

3. If you don't have it install Save/Restore app from Preware and run it.

4. [Backup everything] copy everything in your /media/internal/ folder to your computer.

5. Install Impostah app from Preware and use it to email yourself a copy of apps you've bought from the Palm/HP store. Some apps are no longer available, but you'll know what you own.

6. Register the new device MEID# with the carrier. This is painless with Verizon, but I don't know what to do for other carriers, and I'm clueless on SIM card stuff.

7. Make sure you know your Palm login and password.

8. Completely shutdown old phone.

9. Turn on new phone. The First run program should start. I've forgotten what order theses events occur in but you'll select a language and the phone will activate. You will then be given the option to create a new account or login to an existing Palm account. At that point the backup from the Palm/HP server will restore general items like addresses, memos, calendar, etc. I think it then ask for other accounts such as Google, Facebook, and emails. It will then start to restore all/most apps available. switch to WiFi as soon as possible, also the phone will be quite laggy because it's downloading in the background.

There are probably better examples on what to do on the site.

Good Luck.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
    Rnp likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by namgod View Post
    1. Use Preware to update the "Save Package List" this is a list of everything you've installed from Preware.

2. Take screen shots of your app icons in the Launcher

3. If you don't have it install Save/Restore app from Preware and run it.

4. [Backup everything] copy everything in your /media/internal/ folder to your computer.

5. Install Impostah app from Preware and use it to email yourself a copy of apps you've bought from the Palm/HP store. Some apps are no longer available, but you'll know what you own.

6. Register the new device MEID# with the carrier. This is painless with Verizon, but I don't know what to do for other carriers, and I'm clueless on SIM card stuff.

7. Make sure you know your Palm login and password.

8. Completely shutdown old phone.

9. Turn on new phone. The First run program should start. I've forgotten what order theses events occur in but you'll select a language and the phone will activate. You will then be given the option to create a new account or login to an existing Palm account. At that point the backup from the Palm/HP server will restore general items like addresses, memos, calendar, etc. I think it then ask for other accounts such as Google, Facebook, and emails. It will then start to restore all/most apps available. switch to WiFi as soon as possible, also the phone will be quite laggy because it's downloading in the background.

There are probably better examples on what to do on the site.

Good Luck.
    Thanks, Guys. I want to just act like the new phone is the old phone "magically" refurbished. So the list of things on your post is exactly what I wanted. I'm on Verizon too. Somehow I don't mind having an old phone on a OS that is not as ubiquitous as Apple or Android. I may just hold out as long as possible, as the phone still does almost everything I need. I will try to keep the Palm memories alive, as I go back to the original Palm Pilot from nearly day 1. You would have thought I would have picked up a little more tech knowledge along the way. I guess I'm just too slow for that!