Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Hi all,
    I was an early adopter of Palm Treo and Pre plus. Looking to get one as a back up or to just for variety;current Lumia user (Verizon). On Ebay, Pre + are dirt cheap while Pre 2's are around $40-50 new or like new.
    I am being a cheapskate(sp?) but... Is Pre2 worth 30 extra bucks or so?
    Is slider much better?
    Software access better?
    GPS any better than what Pre + had?

thanks.

I am amazed at the following for this platform still. Maybe that is what draws me to it.
    I would say yes: Pre 2 is worth the upgrade for the higher CPU clock speed and the jump from 1.x to 2.x on the OS...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    No doubt: go to Pre 2!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    No comparison.... Pre2
    But for Verizon, with the upgrade to a Pre2 you will lose the ability to use an open card of Verizon Navigator to switch to "normal" (precise) GPS mode...

Unless you downgrade the Pre2 to 1.4....

Also, you lose the more reliable WiFi Hotspot app, and will have to rely on MyFreeTether instead (which i heard, in some circumstances doesn't always work until you reboot the phone)

FYI, i'm on Verizon, with a Pre+ and using that as my home internet connection (canceled DSL service)
    Last edited by Remy X; 05/29/2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    But for Verizon, with the upgrade to a Pre2 you will lose the ability to use an open card of Verizon Navigator to switch to "normal" (precise) GPS mode...

Unless you downgrade the Pre2 to 1.4....
    True story... Vzw does sabotage the GPS to force you onto their navigation app. It's driven a few people away from that particular device/carrier combo.

There are many threads like this one: GPS Not Working On Pre 2
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I would also recommend the Pre2. You will get the newer webOS as others have indicated, Skype, and bluetooth integration with the TouchPad.
    TouchPad 4G, TouchPad 32GB w/4.4.4
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I remember the issue with Verizon and GPS when I first had the Pre. Crazy.
    Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Go for the pre2. In my opinion that was the most stable pre. Even after owning the pre3. That thing kept open multiple cards like nobody's business.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    I'd say go for the Pre 2 as well. Though I've only used a Pre Plus, I thought it was annoyingly slow unless it was overclocked to at least 720Mhz and even then there were some hiccups. Faster processor is worth it.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Pre 2 is the best choice. Even when you overclock the Pre Plus to match the clock speed of the Pre 2 it's performance is noticeably slower. Once you have Uberkernel and WebOS 2.2.4 on the Pre 2., it's downright sporty. If your on Verizon, paying the $5 for the Verizon Navigator app is worth it for having reliable GPS and it also appears to improve battery life. You lose the free Verizon Mobile hotspot but FreeTether is a good replacement and adds bluetooth tethering.
    Last edited by namgod; 06/17/2013 at 04:28 AM. Reason: gps stuff and hotspot
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3