Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Apologies in advance if there's a thread about this I couldn't find...

I've had an original Palm Pre on Sprint since soon after it was introduced. Yes, still. It's been dying a slow death for 8 mos. or so, and now is almost totally belly up. Touch screen doesn't respond most of the time, cards open and close randomly, it even makes calls and sends texts completely on its own occasionally (attached a 2-year-old photo to a random contact and emailed it just the other day during the middle of the night as I slept).

Aside from the entertainment value its useless. I plan to jump to Android soon, but in the meantime have a new Palm Pixi (Verizon) that I've yet to unbox. My question is can I activate it (Page Plus) and then import my contact info from whatever is stored in the profile of my existing WebOS account (which I had a hell of a time even finding on HP's site)? Once I activate the Pixi will it be added to my WebOS account, even though I'll be transferring the Sprint number from my Pre? I can't tell what is stored on my WebOS account or what I can do with it, but what I know I can't do is export anything from my existing device. The touchscreen is simply too effed up to reliably respond to any commands. I can't even reliably scroll through my contacts to manually get to them.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by thestem View Post
    Apologies in advance if there's a thread about this I couldn't find...

I've had an original Palm Pre on Sprint since soon after it was introduced. Yes, still. It's been dying a slow death for 8 mos. or so, and now is almost totally belly up. Touch screen doesn't respond most of the time, cards open and close randomly, it even makes calls and sends texts completely on its own occasionally (attached a 2-year-old photo to a random contact and emailed it just the other day during the middle of the night as I slept).

Aside from the entertainment value its useless. I plan to jump to Android soon, but in the meantime have a new Palm Pixi (Verizon) that I've yet to unbox. My question is can I activate it (Page Plus) and then import my contact info from whatever is stored in the profile of my existing WebOS account (which I had a hell of a time even finding on HP's site)? Once I activate the Pixi will it be added to my WebOS account, even though I'll be transferring the Sprint number from my Pre? I can't tell what is stored on my WebOS account or what I can do with it, but what I know I can't do is export anything from my existing device. The touchscreen is simply too effed up to reliably respond to any commands. I can't even reliably scroll through my contacts to manually get to them.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Perhaps I can help clarify some things but take what I say lightly and don't get mad if I accidentally misinform. You should be able to activate that Pixi via Wifi (Requires a modified webOS doctor), or if you choose to swap it over to replace your Pre in the meantime. All your contacts are stored in whatever Synergy account you chose, personally I use Google, and it also integrates all of my contacts I had from Google Voice. If you don't have any synergy accounts linked, your contacts *should* be stored in your palm profile.

If you can manage to open preware, you can install Impostah to have a limited range of functions regarding your profile, but even I don't know what half the stuff does and usually I only peek through stuff and try to figure out what it means.

Verizon *may* allow you to use the device on Sprint, but I really don't know. I don't use either, never have, never will. The verizon plus model for the Pixi has Wifi, but the sprint pixi does not, as they never got the plus model.

See 1 and 2 for some articles which may help. Somewhere there is a guide to activating your palm profile via WiFi.

Hope this helps.

PS. You're going to hate going from a Pre to a Pixi.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention if your device is in developer mode, you can always use novaterm to get into the device and steal files.
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Thank you. I have no idea what Synergy account I have since I don't believe I ever chose one. When I bought the Pre from Sprint I set up a Pre Profile and that was it. There was no Synergy and I've had nothing to do with Palm or the profile since setting it up (hence my difficulty in finding it or even knowing what is stored in it). So, if I have a Synergy account I don't know what's in it or how it's stored. As for Google, the only thing I've actively done with regard to them is set up a few Gmail addresses on the phone when I first got it.

I can't open preware, unfortunately.

The Pixi is Verizon (must be a Pixi Plus), not Sprint, so that's straightforward. All I care about is getting my contact over from the Pre.

It may be a lousier phone, but right now I just need one that works. If WebOS weren't dead I'd be shopping for a new WebOS phone, but I'm thinking the Pixi would at least give me a functioning phone where I could properly export my contacts...assuming I can get them over to it from the Pre in the first place!