1.    #1  
    So since I've finally been receiving stable 3G signal on T-Mobile with my Pre+, I decided to try and tether my phone to my windows desktop to fix Steam and ran into a few issues.

I did searches and found a few steps and instructions. I have tried almost everything I can think of.

First I tried just freetether and the usb slider. That gave me the RNDIS or whatever ethernet gadget. Ok, cool. It did something. I google the device and find mentions of the Pre, so I end up with this instruction for windows 7: "Select the driver manually as 'Microsoft Corp. -> NDIS compatible internet sharing device' ". I do this and it works. Or so I think.

It would not identify to the Pre, and usually ended up always saying 'disabled' in the network adapter list. No matter what I tried it would never get past identifying. Windows's network status thing will say it is connected to a network but not internet, while the adapter folder says 'disabled'.

More and more google'ing turned up a few more possible solutions which did not work.

One of which was run 'usbnet enable' from a terminal and reboot, I did that and it still did not work.

Next I tried USB Passthrough, and when that did not work, I decided to come here. USB Pass settings were 'ACM -> DUN' and the usbnet slider set to on.

I used the same driver for the same device that showed up for freetether.

Anyone got any help for me?
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    I used USBNet slider set to Enable and all ports set to none... That let me USB tether via freetether on Win 7.

When I moved to Win 8 the RNDIS driver trick failed. It's been awhile since I had USB tether going, but I swear it was just setting USB Net to Enable after I had drivers set up....

Somewhere in the Pre 2 forum I documented what I did. I'll try looking for the post.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  3.    #3  
    Well i enabled usbnet via commandline yet that did not work.

the passthrough app does not allow me to enable the slider unless the port is set.
    --
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
    Well i enabled usbnet via commandline yet that did not work.

the passthrough app does not allow me to enable the slider unless the port is set.
    I just tap on enable and select OK to the warning... It stays on enable anyway...

You're doing it via terminal. Guess I missed that part. I used the USB Passthrough code generated by the first half of Dogbert's unlock... (Works for GSM Unlocked as well.) That let's you dial in #*USBpass# on the phone anytime and open up the USBPassthrough App. I just toggle USBNet to Enable after that.

Try Dogbert's method (linked in my sig) and generate the USBPassthrough unlock #. Enter it once when you first dial into the App and it is always unlocked.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I just tap on enable and select OK to the warning... It stays on enable anyway...
    Yeah I just noticed that. It didnt used to do that for me.

You're doing it via terminal. Guess I missed that part. I used the USB Passthrough code generated by the first half of Dogbert's unlock... (Works for GSM Unlocked as well.) That let's you dial in #*USBpass# on the phone anytime and open up the USBPassthrough App. I just toggle USBNet to Enable after that.
    Yes, I have done it via terminal, usbpassthrough from the launcher and usbpass's poundcode via dogbert's instructions. Although im fairly certain I have the passthrough patch bundled into a launcher mix, so it did not question me for a password.

Try Dogbert's method (linked in my sig) and generate the USBPassthrough unlock #. Enter it once when you first dial into the App and it is always unlocked.
    No dice. See above.

For the love of WebOS and all that is Palm, I'd really like to play Skyrim damnit :'(
    --
    Enable USBPassthrough patch is documented to break things. Can't quite remember what it borked on my Pre 2, but I read a few threads and decided to not reinstall it after I had to Doctor my phone. I won't enable that patch again...

When I used Dogbert to Unlock a pair of Veers, I noted the Passthrough unlock came with it. I tested a Veer and it USB tethered. I then ran half of Dogbert to get the USB Pass code for a GSM Pre 2 and have confirmed USB tether on that.

Scrap the patch. I believe it's not the answer it appears to be.

I too followed all the documentation on My Tether for RNDIS drivers etc. and the patch never enabled a blessed thing. The true USBPass unlock code is what finally worked. I believe the patch needs further manipulation that puffthemagic or any others in the know never divulged openly on these forums for whatever reason...

Mobile Nations Devotee
  7.    #7  
    Ugh. The solution was stupid and freetether's fault it would seem.

I don't know how it worked but having wifi and usb on, and running usbnet enable from the terminal worked under linux, so it should work in windows 7 now.

I had tested the device in linux after win7, due to it being plug and play.

also, i was more cautious with the usb passthrough application, the launcher unhides it. I don't think its the actual patch that breaks things from preware.
    --
    Here's what went wrong: Freetether,Enable-USB-Pass-Through Patch, and big troubles
    Taken from this thread: Freetether,Enable-USB-Pass-Through Patch, and big troubles

And here is where I made progress: Connecting Palm Pre Plus via USB breaks my WIFI in Ubuntu....
    Taken from this thread: Connecting Palm Pre Plus via USB breaks my WIFI in Ubuntu....

So according to the post about getting USB tethering to work on Windows 7. it seems like I needed some USBNet drivers as well... Try here on Internals: USBnet Setup - WebOS Internals

Mobile Nations Devotee
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Here's what went wrong: Freetether,Enable-USB-Pass-Through Patch, and big troubles
    Taken from this thread: Freetether,Enable-USB-Pass-Through Patch, and big troubles

And here is where I made progress: Connecting Palm Pre Plus via USB breaks my WIFI in Ubuntu....
    Taken from this thread: Connecting Palm Pre Plus via USB breaks my WIFI in Ubuntu....

So according to the post about getting USB tethering to work on Windows 7. it seems like I needed some USBNet drivers as well... Try here on Internals: USBnet Setup - WebOS Internals
    Yeah it didn't work properly. I did connect to youtube but I was unable to login to steam. Adapter was listed as disabled, while the connection center said it was connected.

Woe is me

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    --
    What was the final answer here for the Veer and USB tethering with the freetether app to a Win 7 laptop?
    I see these instructions below from webosinternals, is this all that is needed? (the veer came in an unlocked state).

My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - turn your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router!
    Instructions for USB Tethering on Vista and Windows 7 by mu7efcer
    1. On Pre: in the My Tether program turn on usbnet.
    2. Reboot Pre and open My Tether again and turn on DHCP
    3. Plug in Pre to USB on Vista/Windows 7
    4. In wizard that comes up asking for driver software, I chose ignore.
    5. Then I went into the device manager, by right clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Manage", then clicking on "Device Manager"
    6. There was a device called "USB Ethernet Gadget". I right clicked on it and selected "Update Driver Software..."
    7. In the wizard that came up, I clicked "Browse my computer for driver software"
    8. In the next page, I clicked "Let me pick from a list of deice drivers on my computer"
    9. It asked me to pick a type of hardware. I chose "Network Adapter"
    10. Under "Manufacturer", I chose "Microsoft Corporation". (Note: this is not the same as "Microsoft")
    11. In "Network Adapter", I chose "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
    12. Then I clicked Next.