webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Can someone explain step 7 of dogber1s unlocker to me?
Can someone explain step 7 of dogber1s unlocker to me?

Old 03/08/2013, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey all. I'm thankful that dogber1 took the time to create an unlocker for us. His guide seems to assume a great deal of knowledge though.

Step 7 is failing for me on my win XP machine so I would like to try the linux version of step 7. Here it is:

Linux: Insert the module usbserial module with vendor and product parameters matching the vendor and product ID (lsusb), e.g. sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0830 product=0x8043. You have to make the device file (usually /dev/ttyUSB0) accessible to regular users, or you have to run the unlock script with root privileges.

Could someone explain this in better detail. I'm very comfortable in a terminal but I have no idea what he's talking about starting in the first sentence.

Thanks.
jason.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.o View Post
Hey all. I'm thankful that dogber1 took the time to create an unlocker for us. His guide seems to assume a great deal of knowledge though.

Step 7 is failing for me on my win XP machine so I would like to try the linux version of step 7. Here it is:

Linux: Insert the module usbserial module with vendor and product parameters matching the vendor and product ID (lsusb), e.g. sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0830 product=0x8043. You have to make the device file (usually /dev/ttyUSB0) accessible to regular users, or you have to run the unlock script with root privileges.

Could someone explain this in better detail. I'm very comfortable in a terminal but I have no idea what he's talking about starting in the first sentence.

Thanks.
Depending on the install of Linux you may/may not have the USBSERIAL modules installed as part of the kernel (each motherboard has different USBHUB drivers), assume your USB drivers work (plug in a USB mouse/keyboard/hard drive) will tell you if things are working...

Under XP make sure you are not using USB3 or USB2+ (not sure what they are called but always on USB ports), these seem to not work with the USB mode of the Palm devices.

Once you plug in the USB device (if it is in USB mode) you should see a drive, then goto USB passthru and configure the DIAG port if that sees the other USB modes then you are good. if not try a different USB port.

I have done this with two Veer's (on a MAC, with VMWare fusion) on a XP guest, worked like a charm.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Depending on the install of Linux you may/may not have the USBSERIAL modules installed as part of the kernel (each motherboard has different USBHUB drivers), assume your USB drivers work (plug in a USB mouse/keyboard/hard drive) will tell you if things are working...

Under XP make sure you are not using USB3 or USB2+ (not sure what they are called but always on USB ports), these seem to not work with the USB mode of the Palm devices.

Once you plug in the USB device (if it is in USB mode) you should see a drive, then goto USB passthru and configure the DIAG port if that sees the other USB modes then you are good. if not try a different USB port.

I have done this with two Veer's (on a MAC, with VMWare fusion) on a XP guest, worked like a charm.
Glad to hear it works.

I've been using a MAC (mountain lion) with XP as a guest on virtual box. When I plug in the Pre and attempt to install the drivers windows attempts to for a few seconds but then fails (message something along the lines of windows cannot find the software).

Quote:
Are you referring to the version of USB (USB 1.0/2.0/3.0) or the USB port numbers on the passthrough screen?
Old 03/08/2013, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.o View Post
Glad to hear it works.

I've been using a MAC (mountain lion) with XP as a guest on virtual box. When I plug in the Pre and attempt to install the drivers windows attempts to for a few seconds but then fails (message something along the lines of windows cannot find the software).

Are you referring to the version of USB (USB 1.0/2.0/3.0) or the USB port numbers on the passthrough screen?
First you need to make sure the MAC you are using is allowing the USB port to be assigned (taken over by the virtual interface), I have Virtual box, but I did this in fusion.

Now also make sure you have the drivers, he posts what drivers to get, now you might have to go into device manager and choose the USB device and select to update the drivers then choose I will select the driver and point to the location of the the inf downloaded.

I was refering to the USB version of the ports.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
First you need to make sure the MAC you are using is allowing the USB port to be assigned (taken over by the virtual interface), I have Virtual box, but I did this in fusion.

Now also make sure you have the drivers, he posts what drivers to get, now you might have to go into device manager and choose the USB device and select to update the drivers then choose I will select the driver and point to the location of the the inf downloaded.

I was refering to the USB version of the ports.
I had to create a filter in virtual box to capture the Pre when it gets plugged in (this requires that the XP VM be running before you plug in the phone). It shows up in the XP VM. I've tried going to device manager and selecting the serial port to force the install but I get the same error message as when I try to install when XP detects the phone.
Old 03/08/2013, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

I finally got passed step 7, but now I have no idea where to enter the unlock code. I've put in a t-mobile sim card but the phone boots up and just says 'Check SIM card SOS only'.

Where do I enter the unlock code?

Tags
dogber1, unlock

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0