webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > So when do they turn off the server?
So when do they turn off the server?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By g.vos
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 3 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By barryb20

Old 02/26/2013, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

I am still using my original Palm Pre on Sprint. I find myself wondering for how much longer it will be supported, particularly the backup of my user profile and settings and the syncing of my GMail and calendar accounts. I suppose I could ask Sprint but I honestly don't know which company is responsible for the aforementioned backup/syncing -- Sprint? HP? Someone else? I don't want to pick up my phone one day and unexpectedly find it unusable because a server somewhere is no longer providing the services I depend on now. Thanks for any info!
Samizdat2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think as your contacts, emails and calender are concerned, keep your Gmail as your primairy account, everything should back up to Google.
Only Synergy and the appcat are at risk might HP pull the plug one day. But check with Webos Internals, as they will 'have your your back' as they have stated on twitter and their website!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
g.vos is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kld2009 likes this.
Thanked By: Samizdat2003
Old 02/26/2013, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

It may be worthwhile to figure out how the backups are encrypted, and pull the keys for safekeeping. The backups use a slightly separated service for encryption keys, but it still belongs to HP.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Thanked By: Samizdat2003
Old 02/28/2013, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you both for the advice!
Samizdat2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

as ive said i give you remaining few webos fans credit for sticking to a dead, outdated platform. i mean the thought of them pulling the server plug and having to use rods backup system is something i don't think id personally do. there are plenty of other worthwhile OS'es out there to use.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well, my needs are simple enough, and I use a traditional computer more anyway. webOS suits me as a platform where I can do what I want, and I don't care about what the "average consumer" wants and how other non-outdated platforms suit them. I've owned an Android phone for half a year, and I'm still quite indifferent to it.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by purplepansy, barryb20 and DallasXanadu like this.
Old 02/28/2013, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
as ive said i give you remaining few webos fans credit for sticking to a dead, outdated platform. i mean the thought of them pulling the server plug and having to use rods backup system is something i don't think id personally do. there are plenty of other worthwhile OS'es out there to use.
But as GMman said it suits his needs and he likes the OS. I'm of the same opinion and I have personally owned all the alternatives, but came back to webOS and have a Nexus 4 that's sits next to my 808 Pureview in a drawer ever since I got my Pre 3 again :-)

Barry
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by purplepansy likes this.
Old 02/28/2013, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

You should not keep the 808 in the drawer.
It has an excellent camera. I've used it as a camera during a trip abroad and it was fantastic.
My Pre2 was my phone and the 808 a small camera (it's pretty large for a phone).
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2013, 01:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
You should not keep the 808 in the drawer.
It has an excellent camera. I've used it as a camera during a trip abroad and it was fantastic.
My Pre2 was my phone and the 808 a small camera (it's pretty large for a phone).
Indeed it is coming with me on holiday this year as my phone / camera.

Used it when I was in Delaware for work last year and later went to an Angie Stone concert and filmed a bit of a few songs. Quality was excellent :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0