webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Palm pre - sprint - out of stock / refurbs
Palm pre - sprint - out of stock / refurbs
Like Tree6Likes

Old 02/04/2013, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello. I did some searching but I didn't quite find a recent thread on the subject here and on google.

Is anyone having troubles getting a replacement pre from hardware failure? In the past I walked in and walked out with no problems but now my local store mentioned they didn't have any at either location and that I should call up sprint support. I called up sprint support and they need me to send it off to their repair center ( asurion? ) to get inspected, then to get fixed / replaced if it truly needs it.

I think the fee itself for getting inspected is going to be as much as buying one online.

In any case I will see if the store will find me a palm pre model or pixi at this point but I have been looking at the prices for a Pre plus / 2 or a pixi plus or something. Too bad the veer isn't a cdma phone.

My phone is touching itself and calling 911 that was awesome. My fix was the preware - emergency dialer changer, you have to select ' call 911' then actually dial it. but that was awesome.
Lock button isn't working great ( super difficult to press ) my speaker cuts in and out ( suspected short in a ribbon cord ) also the 'antenna' cuts sometimes too it seems like.

I might just be stupid but maybe there is help available for me. Maybe I am missing something and you see a suggestion that could be raised.

Thanks!

Im about to just go to a regular cheapie phone and switch to a pay as you go plan.
kozanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Straight Talk's "Bring Your Own Phone" plan.

Veer: Brand New in Box and Unlocked.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus and qbenguy like this.
Old 02/04/2013, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rumor! Thanks for the Idea. That is creative and I wouldn't have a problem with it except I think straight-talk is more strict on data usage. Most data I have used is around 10gb and I probably average 1.5gb a month and I have no problems with sprint. It is sub-par connection but it gets me needed technical information.

That is a really good idea and would save a few dollars a month but i would limit my internet experience when I need it.

I will ponder over that for a while.

//edit
I looked into your thread on straight talk about straight talk

I think my browsing can be reduced to under 3gb a month as a rule of thumb, but I even have months of just 300mb. So with that said! I should definitely get that going and grab an unlocked gsm veer and order up online their 'bring your own phone' setup

Last edited by kozanatos; 02/04/2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02/04/2013, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

I ran into the same problem with Sprint. They could not even fix my phone because they can no longer get parts. Your best bet is Ebay or Amazon. They have plenty oof brand new units available between 50-70.00 dollars
Mmacholda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozanatos View Post
Hello. I did some searching but I didn't quite find a recent thread on the subject here and on google.

Is anyone having troubles getting a replacement pre from hardware failure? In the past I walked in and walked out with no problems but now my local store mentioned they didn't have any at either location and that I should call up sprint support. I called up sprint support and they need me to send it off to their repair center ( asurion? ) to get inspected, then to get fixed / replaced if it truly needs it.

I think the fee itself for getting inspected is going to be as much as buying one online.

In any case I will see if the store will find me a palm pre model or pixi at this point but I have been looking at the prices for a Pre plus / 2 or a pixi plus or something. Too bad the veer isn't a cdma phone.

My phone is touching itself and calling 911 that was awesome. My fix was the preware - emergency dialer changer, you have to select ' call 911' then actually dial it. but that was awesome.
Lock button isn't working great ( super difficult to press ) my speaker cuts in and out ( suspected short in a ribbon cord ) also the 'antenna' cuts sometimes too it seems like.

I might just be stupid but maybe there is help available for me. Maybe I am missing something and you see a suggestion that could be raised.

Thanks!

Im about to just go to a regular cheapie phone and switch to a pay as you go plan.
Your best best is Ebay and Amazon. Plenty of Sprint Palm pre for $50.00 to $75.00.
Sprint could not repair mine either or get me replacements
Old 02/04/2013, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah well they wanted me to pay for the inspection by asurion to get the phone inspected to make sure my claims are legit. They don't have any centers nearby.

Are you going to swap to a differet carrier / plan Mmacholda or did you go talk to a manager and explain your problem ?
Old 02/05/2013, 06:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah well they wanted me to pay for the inspection by asurion to get the phone inspected to make sure my claims are legit. They don't have any centers nearby.

Are you going to swap to a differet carrier / plan Mmacholda or did you go talk to a manager and explain your problem ?
There is no need to talk to anyone at Sprint. All you need to do is order a new phone from Ebay or Amazon. Once you receive it just go to the Sprint website and all you need to do is deactivate your old phone and activate your new phone.

There is no charge to do this. I have done this several times on my account. I have three lines with Sprint. 2 Palm Pre and one Pixi. If you have any specific questions please email me at MarcelMPM@aol.com
Old 02/05/2013, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you go with @RumoredNow's suggestion, It leaves you the option of getting a pre2 pre3 or veer, all of which are a nice upgrade from a pre- and at least where I live at&t's 3g (or faux g with pre3 or veer) is much faster than sprints anyway...
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Old 02/05/2013, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mhm! Thank you.

Any problems porting #'s from Sprint to StraightTalk?
Old 02/06/2013, 01:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have an unboxed palm pre (phone only, no accessories, UK model - takes a sim) which is gathering dust and will likely never be used due to the Pre3 and Veer I also have.

Happy to let it go for peanuts (i got it for free, so not looking to profit) to keep a fellow webos user going. PM me if interested.
Thanked By: kozanatos
Old 02/06/2013, 01:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Mhm! Thank you.

Any problems porting #'s from Sprint to StraightTalk?
Not that I've heard of... When I switched to ST I had also just recently moved and needed the new area code so I got a fresh number. Thus no first hand report of how it would go.
Old 02/17/2013, 01:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

This is a kind-of Straight-talk specific question - So I really should ask them but if you get a chance to read this - Let me know!

One thing that I missed a little bit before - Straight-talk allows you to bring a Tmobile gsm phone or unlocked gsm phone - that runs on 850 & 1900mhz bands. Tmobile does NOT work well in my area from what I remember. I thought S-T used Verizon exclusively but I also thought Verizon was a GSM network - They are actually a CDMA network *** combination depending on the prepaid phone you select - So which do they use when you bring your own phone? just T-mobile/at&t?

Last edited by kozanatos; 02/17/2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02/17/2013, 01:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Regarding switching Sprint to Straight Talk, which I just did... There is truth and wisdom in concerns about data use if you're used to Sprint. A) ST 3G is way the heck faster but B) It's unofficially restricted, esp. on AT&T SIM cards. Long story short, don't switch to ST if you're going to abuse data. They won't like you and you may lose your number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Not that I've heard of... When I switched to ST I had also just recently moved and needed the new area code so I got a fresh number. Thus no first hand report of how it would go.
Consensus is if you're very careful to provide all the correct information (Sprint acct # and PIN which you can get from their site, and correct address/zip), it should go smoothly by swapping through the ST site.

Actual experience... I just ported my Sprint number to ST yesterday. I botched my zip code, forgetting I never updated my Sprint address after moving. A rep on the ST Facebook page connected me directly to a rep who got the port fixed. This was a PITA as they were asking about security questions I don't remember answering for Sprint. But they got me squared away and my Pre 3 was working before I hung up the phone.

Quote:
One thing that I missed a little bit before - Straight-talk allows you to bring a Tmobile gsm phone or unlocked gsm phone - that runs on 850 & 1900mhz bands. Tmobile does NOT work well in my area from what I remember. I thought S-T used Verizon exclusively but I also thought Verizon was a GSM network - They are actually a CDMA network *** combination depending on the prepaid phone you select - So which do they use when you bring your own phone? just T-mobile/at&t?
Yes, Verizon's CDMA. Straight Talk now uses all of the big 4, but the Straight Talk BYOP program is for GSM phones. Their CDMA selection is restricted. (God I'm glad to be off CDMA!)

So you can use either T-mo or AT&T network depending on the SIM you buy. Most GSM devices, including the Pre 3, etc, are 1900 MHz. On AT&T you're fine since they're 1900 MHz HSPA+.

But yes, you won't get fauxG on T-Mo if they haven't switched towers as you said. Check a crowd-sourced T-Mo coverage map here: Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

If you get your own SIM, right now you can't get the AT&T SIM through the ST site for some reason, only the T-Mo. Think the regular sized AT&T SIM is still available at walmart.com, though. That's where I got mine. The package with one-month service saves ya $5 too.

Last edited by ananimus; 02/17/2013 at 02:02 PM.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 02/17/2013, 02:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

One other suggestion for the OP I'm surprised no one's made: Why don't you FrankenPre to a Pre 2? It sounds like your comms board is fine and activated. I did that while on Sprint too. It's a pretty posh little upgrade coming from a minus. No need to monkey with your service then.

(Although really, the 3G speeds on Sprint are dismal these days. )
Old 02/17/2013, 03:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Wow! Thank you so much for posting your experience. I am glad it is so recent as well.

___

Cliffs of my post:

AT&T may be spotty for me so I need to ask a friend or two. Does ST running on AT&T Roam at all or no?

this Straight Talk AT&T sim card you can also buy a t-mobile sim card through walmart or online as mentioned in the above post

Franken Pre is possible but I don't want to stay with Sprint because I am not under contract and the price is fairly high.
___

If you care to read some more explinations...

At home with Sprint I get a few bars of 'Evdo' and a few bars of ' 1x' back and fourth - very touchy based on weather conditions. I am in-between the edges of two tower ranges.

I checked your crowd sourced map and there is no sightings within 4 hours of my location.
I checekd AT&T Coverage - I used this coverage viewer.
I show up in a 'moderate' 'partner' coverage - not very good.
If straight-talk at&t doesn't roam on partners towers It will not be good.

Since Tmob is terrible in my area is bad - S-T T-mobile card is not an option.

this Straight Talk AT&T sim card should do the trick though after I do some testing.I

A franken Pre would be alright but I do not want to stay with Sprint because they are expensive. After 3 months on Straight-talk It will pay for a $80-$100 phone and from then on I will be saving money compared to Sprint.

So what I need to do now is find some friends of mine who use AT&T and ask them how their coverage is in this area and try their phone out at my place :P

Then if it all checks out I can run to Walmart and get that sim-card set for at&t and order up a Pre 2 or Veer ( nice to get a little upgrade once and a while - its been since 2010 that I had a different phone. That is why I am willing to spend $80-$100 versus just getting another new pre at ~$50 and having it last 6months.

Oah by the way ! I put a piece of tape over my battery cover speaker grill and that saved my loudspeaker. I used to get metal shavings in there all the time. Now my moisture detector tamper seal / case screw is sitting in there though Somehow it loosened itself out and the magnet sucked it in. I promise I didn't tamper with it!
Old 02/17/2013, 04:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yeah, sounds like T-Mo's out.

Quote:
So what I need to do now is find some friends of mine who use AT&T and ask them how their coverage is in this area and try their phone out at my place :P
A very good idea! And no, I don't know of any pre-paid services including partner roaming. So heck... maybe even trying a friend's AT&T phone won't be a safe portrayal.

To be sure, because I'm... thorough ... I got a SIM for the Pre 3 and didn't port my number at first. Basically paid for a full month of service just to try the coverage. Once happy, I got a fresh SIM to port to (fresh SIM necessary for port).

People say you can get the remainder of a service plan moved to a new card on the same account to save a bit, killing the old one. Sounds like a customer service nightmare to manage though, so I just bit the bullet on that one

Quote:
Then if it all checks out I can run to Walmart and get that sim-card set for at&t and order up a Pre 2 or Veer
Very few stores have the SIM sets; it's an online affair. Takes like 4 - 5 days to arrive. And I recommend this set to save the $5: Straight Talk AT&T Compatible SIM w/ $45 AirTime Card Bundle ($5 Savings): Cell Phones : Walmart.com

And yeah, I didn't think Sprint 3G was worth the price anymore either. In your case you wouldn't have to go back on contract though. If you FrankenPre2, you'll just swap comm boards with no talking to Sprint. They'll think you're still on the same phone.

Don't forget with ST not to be data hungry either. In my case I'm around 1 GB/mo of cell data these days. If you can't adjust your usage to < 2GB/mo, this is a bad idea. If they're not happy they won't just throttle you, you may lose your account and cell number without warning. A service that simply throttles might be wiser. Cheers!
Old 02/17/2013, 05:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
To be sure, because I'm... thorough ... I got a SIM for the Pre 3 and didn't port my number at first. Basically paid for a full month of service just to try the coverage. Once happy, I got a fresh SIM to port to (fresh SIM necessary for port).
Yeah that was a good idea to test that out. I am going to call up S-T and ask them about my area specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
And yeah, I didn't think Sprint 3G was worth the price anymore either. In your case you wouldn't have to go back on contract though. If you FrankenPre2, you'll just swap comm boards with no talking to Sprint. They'll think you're still on the same phone.
The Pre2 is a little more spendy unless I can find a good deal. If I'm going to be swapping antenna boards I wouldn''t want a new pre2

The problem with the pre minus is that they only last me 6-8 months before the shoulder button junks out. I can't imagine buying a USED Pre 2 and expecting it to perform for very long.
Old 02/17/2013, 05:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
The problem with the pre minus is that they only last me 6-8 months before the shoulder button junks out. I can't imagine buying a USED Pre 2 and expecting it to perform for very long.
Had the same shoulder button problem on my minus. The build quality was easily the biggest improvement with the Pre 2, imho, don't think you'd have trouble. But yeah, putting monthly savings back towards a trusty newer phone I understand! *pats his new Pre 3*
Old 02/18/2013, 12:56 AM   #19 (permalink)

I'm considering buying a Pre3. In your opinion, how does the veer holdup against the Pre?
qbenguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2013, 01:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbenguy View Post
I'm considering buying a Pre3. In your opinion, how does the veer holdup against the Pre?
The biggest thing about Pre 3 is the bigger screen. If you check the Pre 3 forum there are many here who love that phone... But you'll also see it's a bit quirky in the never officially released North American version(s). Another advantage is Touch to Share with TouchPad is built in.

Now to the Veer: The biggest thing about it is the small size.

If you browse the web, reply on forums, watch videos or game very heavily that might be a deal breaker. The screen is small - no one can deny that. For my style of use it suits me just fine.

The whole thing is reduced. It's slim. Smart phone midget on a diet small. That's a huge plus for me. The most pocketable smart phone there ever was. The keyboard is small, but the button pushes are crisp and snappy. I have no problems firing off SMS all day. Even an occasional e-mail reply that just won't wait...

How does it compare to Pre? Which Pre? The only other one I've used is Pre 2...

Like the Pre 3, the Veer gets H+ data speed. It's noticeably faster than my Pre 2. GPS gets an accurate fix pretty quick (I use AGPS through Google Services). Seems a tad faster than Pre 2 there as well.

The call clarity and in call volume are top rate (on both ends of the conversation {I've asked friends on the other end how I sound}) - beats my Pre 2 where I never seem to get enough volume from the ear piece.

If I Bluetooth sync my Veer to my TouchPad I can send and receive both voice and SMS through the TP effortlessly.

I stay with 2.1.2 and haven't meta-doctored up to 2.2.4. TTS is not that big a deal to me. It breaks stereo over corded headsets (not Bluetooth headsets, however). The deal breaker for me is that going to 2.2.4 forces you to give up UberKernel. Veer does run fine at the stock 800 MHz and many users enjoy it that way. I just like the Overclock - and I do some other tweaks through Govnah that help me extend battery life. Everyone's set up is a bit different. I've found for my usage I can Overclock at peak loads (85% CPU capacity), yet still save juice over the long haul. The little Veer is mighty snappy and responsive at 1.344 GHz and I never get any stutter, overheat or other issues.

About that battery. Here is where small takes a hit. If you typically suck up a Pre battery in one dusk to dawn period then Veer may not satisfy you. The battery is also small at 942 mAH and is not easily replaced (you have to partially disassemble the phone).

I'm sure Pre 3 is nice. One day I may try one. I thought Veer would be a toy when I got one and it was cheaper than a Pre 3 so I got one as a stop-gap. I needed to trade up from Pre 2 (mostly because of the call quality and the 3G speed). Once I started using a Veer, however, my burning desire for a Pre 3 just faded out. Now It's more a curiosity or collector idea that I get a Pre 3.

Veer is a mighty little phone. Try one and see.
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Thanked by ananimus, qbenguy

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0