webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Switched to Pre 3... Palm profile was out of date. Any options?
Switched to Pre 3... Palm profile was out of date. Any options?

Old 01/19/2013, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have been a Palm Pre user through Sprint for several years. This week, I decided to move to the Pre 3 under the Straight Talk BYOP program. Everything worked well for the switchover as far as the number porting was concerned and I had the Pre 3 up and running in less than an hour after initiating the port.

My problem starts when I look at my contacts on the Pre 3 and notice several missing names. It turns out that my Palm profile data was over a year old and I am missing some important memos and contacts.

I am sure I have checked the backup settings on the old Pre several times over the past year and have even done a manual backup a few times recently. But now I'm stuck with an old profile backup and I doubt I would get anywhere by contacting HP/Palm...

No big deal, I figured I'd just fire up the old Pre and get the info.

Well, I found out the hard way that I would not be able to access the data on my old pre after the switch. I was locked out. (I should have been more careful)

After researching a bit, I ran the activation-bypass tool and was successful in accessing my old Pre which now appears to have wiped all of my data.

In hindsight, I guessing I should have:

1)Backed up the palmdatabase.db3 file to my computer using webosquickinstall.
2)Exported my contacts using the ##66623# code in the phone dialer and imported them into Google contacts.
3)Double checked the last backup date on the old Pre to make sure it was up to date.
4)Switched my old Pre into airplane mode thus preventing a lockout until I was certain that the switch was successful.

It's too late for that now...

I am able to see my old photos when I mount the old Pre to my desktop via USB. I already had fresh backups of all of that though.

I tried to run a data recovery application (Data Rescue 3) from my mac and I do get recoverable files but I don't think that I am accessing the area of my pre where the palm database file would be.

I am wondering if there is any linux trickery I can use to copy an image of the webos portion of the Palm to my desktop so I can try to recover my old palm database.db3 file (or what remains of it)

I was reading about a "dd" command in linux that would copy a partition byte by byte including the "empty" space as an image. If I could copy this directly from the phone somehow, would I perhaps have luck then mounting this image to my desktop and running my data recovery software to look at this empty space for my data? Am I totally barking up the wrong tree?

Its not a life or death situation but I sure would like to try a little more before giving up.

Any Ideas?

Other than the missing data, I am loving the Pre 3 so far...

Last edited by Ssnipsa; 01/19/2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: title
Ssnipsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0