webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Pre as an usb diplay?
Pre as an usb diplay?

Old 01/12/2013, 03:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello.
I would like to know is there a way to use a pre as an usb display?

The story follows:
I have a pre with a broken display, it does not react to touch but it is usable as a display.
So I was wondering if it is possible for the hardware to enable some sort of display protocol over usb.
I don`t need it to boot into webos[/U], or for that matter I don`t need any other function from the phone.
I just want to display some basic information on the screen, like cpu/gpu/mem temp/usage...

So... any help would be nice.
Did a search for it in the forums but found nothing on the matter...
Jozsef Zonai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozsef Zonai View Post
Hello.
I would like to know is there a way to use a pre as an usb display?

The story follows:
I have a pre with a broken display, it does not react to touch but it is usable as a display.
So I was wondering if it is possible for the hardware to enable some sort of display protocol over usb.
I don`t need it to boot into webos[/U], or for that matter I don`t need any other function from the phone.
I just want to display some basic information on the screen, like cpu/gpu/mem temp/usage...

So... any help would be nice.
Did a search for it in the forums but found nothing on the matter...
No video signal available there. We don"t have MHL.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Jozsef Zonai
Old 01/12/2013, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
No video signal available there. We don"t have MHL.
Thank you for the reply.
I think you misunderstood my question. (If not then sorry).
I was thinking about displaying information from the pc (windows) on the screen of the PRE. As a little monitor, with some basic information. It can be totally text based.
My idea was to boot some kind of an xserver, and acquire data though the usb connection from the pc.
But I really don`t know what I`am talking about...

By MHL did you mean Mobile High-definition Link, or is this something else?

Thank`s again for the reply, and sorry for wasting you`r time.
Jozsef Zonai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

On actual webOS you'll have to do something with USB Gadget, or use Novacom. I can see a program on the phone that reads a specific location and displays stuff, and another program that sends the data with Novacom.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

If you want use Pre as 2nd display for windows machine then you can use ZoneScreen
(ZoneOS ZoneScreen)
If you want use Pre with Linux machine you can use Xvfb + x11vnc.

You can enable usb network on Pre to create private network between machine and phone...or you could even use WiFi/GSM if you know how to properly setup firewall/routing on both devices.

You will need to run VNC client on phone to display content of 2nd (virtual) monitor.
artxxork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
display, monitor, usb

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0