webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > A few questions about my Pre Plus
A few questions about my Pre Plus
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tartilc

Old 12/31/2012, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

So, I just bought my Verizon Pre Plus a few days ago (used) and really love the phone. Its awesomely fluid and quick! So for the past few days, I have been setting it up to my liking. I upgraded it to 1.4.5.1 (it used to be 1.4.1) and then overclocked it, put some apps, and stuff like that. I then made a 2.1 doctor and installed it to my phone. It seemed much slower than 1.4.5, so I downgraded back to 1.4.5.1. It was pretty hard to set up the profile (I don't have a data plan), so I had to go through the process of enabling WiFi and resetting the profile and finally it was settled. If you don't want to read all this stuff, just skim though the paragraphs, and read the bold things. So now that I made my not-so-brief introduction, I'll get to those questions:

1st Question: When I upgraded to 2.1.0, it definitely felt like I made a mistake, because it seemed so laggy. Luna was perfectly smooth and quick, but system processes seemed so slow. Like for example, when holding the power button, the menu seemed reluctant stopped a few times before coming up all the way. Same thing with the HP app catalog. The screens would lag while shifting and menus froze periodically. None of this happened on 1.4.5. I even overclocked the phone while on 2.1.0, but while that seemed to mitigate the problem a lot, there was still the occasional lag or stop. After overclocking, 1.4.5 was completely smooth; no lags whatsoever! After a while, I put all this off as me expecting too much from the newer OS, and that I was wrong to believe that it was a huge upgrade and proceeded to downgrade. What really makes me confused is that before and after doing all of this, I read from many people that 2.1.0 was an awesome upgrade, and it was quicker, smoother, and faster even! All this leads to my question: Why was my installation so slow and problematic? I'm pretty sure I did something wrong. How can I fix it? Also, what were your experiences with 2.1.0? Were they similar to mine? If not, what did you do differently? Is 2.2.4 any faster, better, or worth the upgrade? If it is, then how would I go about doing that?

2nd Question: While using my 2.1.0 installation, I had overclocked my phone (I also did it while on 1.4.5). I used UberKernel for this purpose. After seeing the lag and getting very frustrated, I browsed for a while looking for a better solution. I saw a person saying that they love their 2.1.0 upgrade, because they used a special kernel called F105. While looking for that kernel so that I could be as happy as this person, I saw many different names of kernels; so many similar ones, that it hurt my brain! There were people talking about F14, F15, F150, F105, F1, F5, Thunderchief; and so many different others (I'm kind of exaggerating here, but you get the point) with none of them giving a hint of where they got it except for one person who pointed to the testing feeds. I have the beta and alpha feeds enabled, but I only see three kernels (Uberkernel, F102, and another one). With a bit of sleuthing, I found that F105 is available for 1.4.5 and 2.1.0, but not 1.4.5.1. That's really weird. I want a kernel with a good trade-off between speed and battery life, while stability is a must. So this brings me to my question: If these kernels are still-in-testing-stage kernel, are they any good? If they are, where can I get them reliably? Which version is the most reliable or best? Out of curiosity, why isn't F105 available for 1.4.5? If these kernels are not what everyone says, which kernel is the best? What are your opinions with the kernel you are using?

3rd Question: This question is a bit different than the others. So, as most people know, the Palm app catalog is not one of its strengths. It can be speculated with many reasons why though, so I won't go into that. I have found that people have ported Android (which has a reasonably sized app store, with most popular apps) to the Palm Pre. The thing is, with a bit more research, I found out that Pre Plus users should not try to do this, or else they will end up with a brick (although it is pretty straightforward to fix it). I know that there are very key differences between the two models, but I really still want Android on my phone. I ordinarily use the Android phones of my friends and family members (to fix, root, put custom ROMS, test out my developments, etc.) while I don't have one or really care to get one. I like webos better in the sense of stability and usage. I really want that app store though, and the only way to run those apps on my Pre Plus would be to run Android on it. This leads me to my question: Is there any way to get Android on my Pre Plus? If so, how? If not, then well, I guess this is either a pointless question, or a more experienced developer than me can be inspired to work on porting Android to the Pre Plus and Pre 2. I expect the Pre 3 to be either much easier due to closer specifications to a real Android device (namely, the processor) or much harder due to a bigger difference from the legacy Palm devices and a bit smaller user base.

Thanks for reading my very long post! I hope I didn't bore you or annoy you with this post. I just like being very specific and like giving as much background information as possible. I hope someone can answer my questions and hopefully solve the problems I was facing outlined above! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by tartilc; 12/31/2012 at 08:06 PM.
tartilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2013, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartilc View Post
So, I just bought my Verizon Pre Plus a few days ago (used) and really love the phone. Its awesomely fluid and quick! So for the past few days, I have been setting it up to my liking. I upgraded it to 1.4.5.1 (it used to be 1.4.1) and then overclocked it, put some apps, and stuff like that. I then made a 2.1 doctor and installed it to my phone. It seemed much slower than 1.4.5, so I downgraded back to 1.4.5.1. It was pretty hard to set up the profile (I don't have a data plan), so I had to go through the process of enabling WiFi and resetting the profile and finally it was settled. If you don't want to read all this stuff, just skim though the paragraphs, and read the bold things. So now that I made my not-so-brief introduction, I'll get to those questions:

1st Question: When I upgraded to 2.1.0, it definitely felt like I made a mistake, because it seemed so laggy. Luna was perfectly smooth and quick, but system processes seemed so slow. Like for example, when holding the power button, the menu seemed reluctant stopped a few times before coming up all the way. Same thing with the HP app catalog. The screens would lag while shifting and menus froze periodically. None of this happened on 1.4.5. I even overclocked the phone while on 2.1.0, but while that seemed to mitigate the problem a lot, there was still the occasional lag or stop. After overclocking, 1.4.5 was completely smooth; no lags whatsoever! After a while, I put all this off as me expecting too much from the newer OS, and that I was wrong to believe that it was a huge upgrade and proceeded to downgrade. What really makes me confused is that before and after doing all of this, I read from many people that 2.1.0 was an awesome upgrade, and it was quicker, smoother, and faster even! All this leads to my question: Why was my installation so slow and problematic? I'm pretty sure I did something wrong. How can I fix it? Also, what were your experiences with 2.1.0? Were they similar to mine? If not, what did you do differently? Is 2.2.4 any faster, better, or worth the upgrade? If it is, then how would I go about doing that?

Have you installed patches to kill logging and other stuff like that from Preware? webOS logs an insane amount of data to where the already lackluster performance goes down the drain somewhat.

2nd Question: While using my 2.1.0 installation, I had overclocked my phone (I also did it while on 1.4.5). I used UberKernel for this purpose. After seeing the lag and getting very frustrated, I browsed for a while looking for a better solution. I saw a person saying that they love their 2.1.0 upgrade, because they used a special kernel called F105. While looking for that kernel so that I could be as happy as this person, I saw many different names of kernels; so many similar ones, that it hurt my brain! There were people talking about F14, F15, F150, F105, F1, F5, Thunderchief; and so many different others (I'm kind of exaggerating here, but you get the point) with none of them giving a hint of where they got it except for one person who pointed to the testing feeds. I have the beta and alpha feeds enabled, but I only see three kernels (Uberkernel, F102, and another one). With a bit of sleuthing, I found that F105 is available for 1.4.5 and 2.1.0, but not 1.4.5.1. That's really weird. I want a kernel with a good trade-off between speed and battery life, while stability is a must. So this brings me to my question: If these kernels are still-in-testing-stage kernel, are they any good? If they are, where can I get them reliably? Which version is the most reliable or best? Out of curiosity, why isn't F105 available for 1.4.5? If these kernels are not what everyone says, which kernel is the best? What are your opinions with the kernel you are using?

Uberkernel is recommended and widely used. Its not necessarily the kernel, it's more how you set it up, the settings can be changed and modded extensively to your taste using the app Govnah. If they are still in testing, it means there's a greater risk of your device going nuclear. But I believe they are good for the most part. But try uberkernel first.

3rd Question: This question is a bit different than the others. So, as most people know, the Palm app catalog is not one of its strengths. It can be speculated with many reasons why though, so I won't go into that. I have found that people have ported Android (which has a reasonably sized app store, with most popular apps) to the Palm Pre. The thing is, with a bit more research, I found out that Pre Plus users should not try to do this, or else they will end up with a brick (although it is pretty straightforward to fix it). I know that there are very key differences between the two models, but I really still want Android on my phone. I ordinarily use the Android phones of my friends and family members (to fix, root, put custom ROMS, test out my developments, etc.) while I don't have one or really care to get one. I like webos better in the sense of stability and usage. I really want that app store though, and the only way to run those apps on my Pre Plus would be to run Android on it. This leads me to my question: Is there any way to get Android on my Pre Plus? If so, how? If not, then well, I guess this is either a pointless question, or a more experienced developer than me can be inspired to work on porting Android to the Pre Plus and Pre 2. I expect the Pre 3 to be either much easier due to closer specifications to a real Android device (namely, the processor) or much harder due to a bigger difference from the legacy Palm devices and a bit smaller user base.

I highly do not recommend trying to install Android. Getting Android to run and getting Android to run well are two different things. If it was made for the Pre+, It may boot and all, but is very likely not fit for normal usage and is probably lacking key functionality (something big like no Wi-Fi (example)) and polish.

Thanks for reading my very long post! I hope I didn't bore you or annoy you with this post. I just like being very specific and like giving as much background information as possible. I hope someone can answer my questions and hopefully solve the problems I was facing outlined above! Thanks in advance!
My responses in bold italics above.
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2013, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
My responses in bold italics above.
Thanks! I will definitely try out what you answered for question one! I did use UberKernel. Before installing it, the performance was terrible, but even after, it was still quite laggy and still not as smooth as 1.4.5.1. Could you give me the settings that worked out for you? I really don't want to overclock too much, as this phone is my daily driver, and I need reasonable battery life. I see what you mean about Android. Installing it is no problem for me. I have experience using the Android SDK and Linux terminal usage, and if it was possible, I'd do it. You have a good point about making it run, and making it run well. Well, I could work around the Wifi usage by other means, but you definitely have a point about it probably being very slow. I guess I can do without it. Thanks again for your quick response! I really appreciate it!
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 01/03/2013, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, with Govnah, it really depends on how you use your device.

Application:Govnah - WebOS Internals

I'm not familiar with the Pre+ settings, I only owned the Pre 2, and there might be a slight variation in clock speeds.
I guess for starters, you could use the ScreenState-v3 governor, with the screen off speed at the minimum or around 300 MHz. You want Ondemand on, which changes processor clock speed depending on usage, and is a nice to have.
For a maximum, speed, 500 (or was it 600) is obviously too slow, so perhaps kicking it up a few notches to 800 MHz or maybe 1 GHz is nice. As a tip, temps above 50 degrees are not good. Set up the speeds when battery is low / temps too hot and everything should be alright.

I wrote a guide on undervolting the processor, which is a powersaving measure. I dont know where that patch is right now.

There's so many settings, the wiki and built in help helps a lot

have fun
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2013, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks! I'll definitely follow your advice! I really appreciate you help!

Tags
android, kernel, upgrade

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0