webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > maps help with two Palm Pre Minuses (Sprint)
maps help with two Palm Pre Minuses (Sprint)

Old 12/28/2012, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

...long-time webOS holdout here.

My launch-month Sprint Pre finally died; I had a new-in-box Pre ready-and-waiting.

My first Pre had preware and a bunch of important apps that only preware could provide...including Google Maps.

I am now having a bit of trouble with my 'new' Pre...and I cannot remember exactly what I think I did in order to make the preware-associated Google maps the default application.

I also cannot remember what I did as far as the Bing Maps app was concerned; as it stands now my 'new' Pre has two Google Maps icons on the 'desktop' and one of them takes me to Bing and asks that I download it...which of course needs to be repeated at every restart.

I guess what I'd like to have most is the preware Google Maps be the default map application and for the Bing maps to reside on my phone, to be occasionally used, and to work properly even after a restart.

Make sense?

All of this holds true for my daughter's Pre Minus, as well. Please point me in the right direction and I think I'll remember...

Thanks.
josephandrews222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2012, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

the bing maps update will bring Enyo support to your pre- so its ok to install it

after downloading google maps homebrew which I assuming your speaking of you go to device info then drop down preference menu top left and choose Default applications
Old 12/28/2012, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kataran View Post
the bing maps update will bring Enyo support to your pre- so its ok to install it

after downloading google maps homebrew which I assuming your speaking of you go to device info then drop down preference menu top left and choose Default applications
When I download the bing maps it works well until I have to restart the phone...then before using it again I have to reinstall it...
Old 12/28/2012, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

hmmm....it should replace the google maps....do you have the maps icon when you download it?
Old 12/28/2012, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

I know the re-installing google maps problem is not new, but I don't know how to fix it. There are a number of threads on it though.

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2012, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

...found this on the hp website (Pls Help: My Bing Map update does not "stick;" How do I set... - HP Support Forum - 2133715

=====

So, I have my answer. And for the dozen or so folks who're still on the Palm Pre, and attempt to provision a new phone, I'll lay out the details here.

To get Bing Maps to stick, you have to use the WebOS Doctor utility, assumming that at some point you had downloaded the Bing Maps Updater App.

The reason I was having problems is because the Maps sw provisioning process that is supported through the app catalogue does not instruct the palm pre to replace the existing Google Map app properly. To do that, Palm (or HP) had used ANOTHER app called "Maps Updater." It used to be that when you got the error from googlemap telling you to upgrade, it linked you to a website that allowed you to provision the Bing Map app WITH this Map Updater App. Now, something changed, and all you get is an installation of the Bing Map App. The Map Updater app is the one that removes the references to the Google Map defaut, and directs it instead to Maps. Downloading the Maps app from the catalogue is NOT synonymous with downloading the Maps Updater app. Once I ran WebOS Doctor, and logged into my webOS profile, it proceeded to download aaaaaall the apps I had ever downloaded, and at that point it downloaded and installed the Maps Updater app backup, which ran, and restarted my phone, and properly configured my device.

Finally!

=====

I am not ready to see the Dr. yet...
Old 12/29/2012, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow.....cool

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0