webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Old account on new pre2
Old account on new pre2
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By GMMan

Old 12/27/2012, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

I crashed the screen of my PRE 2 and I am going to buy a new one.

Will I be able to register the phone with my old account and access my stored data or I would have to start the new phone with a new account?

If so, how can I recover all my contacts from the PALM Server and save them on a computer?

Best
Boranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2012, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, you can put the old phone into "airplane mode" (no data or WiFi) and then activate the new one with the same Palm Profile credentials (email and password).

Then, (after you re-download all of the apps you had), to transfer things like old SMS messages and call log, you can put the old phone into "developer mode" and then, using "webOS Quick Install", back up the "objects.db" file (global database). If the OS version is the same, you should be able to overwrite objects.db on the new phone and then reboot. Your other files are in the USB drive partition..

So if you're interested, i can write out the full process for you
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Boranga
Old 12/27/2012, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Better yet, boot to installer ramdisk, and tar up/dd the original phone's var/db/filecache and then restore it on to the new phone. It'll be like the two phones are identical. You'll need to sign in to Palm Profile again on the new phone because the two phones have different device IDs.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2013, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Dear Remy,
first of all happy new year.
Sorry if I reacted so late to your kind mail, but I have been away these holydays in a place with
no electricity nor internet connection, a paradise and a hell at the same time.

I have a few questions to ask you, if you do not mind. I quote you:
"Then, (after you re-download all of the apps you had), to transfer things like old SMS messages and call log, you can put the old phone into "developer mode" and then, using "webOS Quick Install", back up the "objects.db" file (global database).

My questions are:
- how can I put the old phone in "developer mode" ?
- will I find "webOS Quick Install" as a function on my Pre2?
-If so, where?
-If not where?
-How do you back-up the "objects.db" file?

Sorry for all these questions but up-til now my use and knowledge of the phone has been very basic.
Also, I am not sure I understand how to handle my other files in the USB drive partition.
I think that your offer to write out the full process for me is a wonderful idea.

One last thing.
Is there a software that would allow me to download my contacts library from the PRE2 to my Apple Mac?
I once spoke to Palm, when they still existed, and they mentioned a company that was developping such a software, do you have some info about it?

All the very best,
Boranga
Old 01/05/2013, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Better yet, boot to installer ramdisk, and tar up/dd the original phone's var/db/filecache and then restore it on to the new phone. It'll be like the two phones are identical. You'll need to sign in to Palm Profile again on the new phone because the two phones have different device IDs.
Dear GMM,
happy new year to you also.

I only have one question, do you think you could explain the process in details?

All the very best,
Boranga.
Old 01/07/2013, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boranga View Post
[...]
I have a few questions to ask you, if you do not mind. I quote you:
"Then, (after you re-download all of the apps you had), to transfer things like old SMS messages and call log, you can put the old phone into "developer mode" and then, using "webOS Quick Install", back up the "objects.db" file (global database).

My questions are:
- how can I put the old phone in "developer mode" ?
- will I find "webOS Quick Install" as a function on my Pre2?
-If so, where?
-If not where?
-How do you back-up the "objects.db" file?
[...]
Don't worry

We were all "newbies" once.

Anyway, the main thing is to make sure that your old damaged phone is in "airplane mode" (data off, WiFi off), and that option can be found in the phone's main menu.

Only then you can log into your Palm Profile on the new phone.

On the old phone, (already in airplane mode) on the main screen, type:
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart

You will see an icon for Developer Mode. Click on that, and then enable Developer Mode.

Then download http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-4-0-a.html

Make sure you have the latest version of Java on your computer (important!). You can go on java.com: Java + You to download an installer, and un-install the old version before loading the new.

Then, once you have Java installed and Quick Install downloaded, connect your phone to your computer and double-click the file WebOSQuickInstall-4.4.0.jar. The program will run and recognize your phone.

One the phone's screen, it will ask you if you want to enter USB drive mode. Click "Just charge".

On the computer, under Quick Install, click "recieve file" and enter this: /var/db/main/objects.db
and select where you want to drop this file.

Then, once you new phone has logged in and downloaded all of its apps, repeat the above steps, but send the database file instead. You should have all of the old call logs and browser history on it after you reboot it.

Have fun
Old 01/07/2013, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Dear GMM,
happy new year to you also.

I only have one question, do you think you could explain the process in details?

All the very best,
Boranga.
I'll just give a broad overview for now; I don't have anything prepared or tested.
- Tar and zip /var into /media/internal (this will contain both the database and file cache). Note they system must be live
- Doctor replacement phone
- Enable Novacom before first boot (use installer ramdisk and touch the novacom flag)
- After First Use app shows, shell in and back up the existing file cache and DB encryption keys (important)
- Un-tar everything from the backup into /var
- Restore encryption key from current installation
- Reboot
- Connect to network
- Use luna-send and Palm Profile service to obtain new auth token
- Restore /media/internal from other phone
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 01/18/2013, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Don't worry

We were all "newbies" once.

Anyway, the main thing is to make sure that your old damaged phone is in "airplane mode" (data off, WiFi off), and that option can be found in the phone's main menu.

Only then you can log into your Palm Profile on the new phone.

On the old phone, (already in airplane mode) on the main screen, type:
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart

You will see an icon for Developer Mode. Click on that, and then enable Developer Mode.

Then download http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-4-0-a.html

Make sure you have the latest version of Java on your computer (important!). You can go on java.com: Java + You to download an installer, and un-install the old version before loading the new.

Then, once you have Java installed and Quick Install downloaded, connect your phone to your computer and double-click the file WebOSQuickInstall-4.4.0.jar. The program will run and recognize your phone.

One the phone's screen, it will ask you if you want to enter USB drive mode. Click "Just charge".

On the computer, under Quick Install, click "recieve file" and enter this: /var/db/main/objects.db
and select where you want to drop this file.

Then, once you new phone has logged in and downloaded all of its apps, repeat the above steps, but send the database file instead. You should have all of the old call logs and browser history on it after you reboot it.

Have fun
Hi!

When I reached this:

"On the computer, under Quick Install, click "recieve file" and enter this: /var/db/main/objects.db
and select where you want to drop this file."

Nothing happens.

I mean, the software "sees" my Pre2, but when I open "Receive File" and punch in:
/var/db/main/objects.db
and select DESKTOP
and then GET FROM DEVICE, nothing happens.

Help!!
Old 01/18/2013, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hmm...

I'll boot into a 2.1 emulator and look again. If i got the file path wrong, i'll let you know.
Old 01/19/2013, 02:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

That's odd... it works for me...
Old 01/19/2013, 10:24 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
That's odd... it works for me...
Could it be the operative system of my computer?
Perhaps when the app asks where to drop the file it should be a specific name, or folder?
Old 01/19/2013, 02:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Could it be the operative system of my computer?
Perhaps when the app asks where to drop the file it should be a specific name, or folder?
I suppose you could try restarting the phone, restarting the computer, and then trying again with the drop location being your C drive (C:\ )

I really hope this will work for you...
Old 01/19/2013, 09:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

If you have the webOS PDK, there's a Device Browser tool that has the option to download the app database as one of its menu items.
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 01/23/2013, 05:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I suppose you could try restarting the phone, restarting the computer, and then trying again with the drop location being your C drive (C:\ )

I really hope this will work for you...
OK.
The procedure works perfectly with WINDOWS but NOT with MAC.
I also have tried the procedure #*66623# CELLEBRITE, wich works perfectly with both MAC and WIN.

I shall keep tyring on MACOS and let you know when it'll work.

Many thanks!

UPDATE:
No version of Mac Os works with WebOS installer, any idea why?

Last edited by Boranga; 02/05/2013 at 04:54 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0