webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Owners of Both Pre Plus & Pre 3
Owners of Both Pre Plus & Pre 3
  Reply
Like Tree3Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11/27/2012, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
davidsdiego's Avatar
 
Posts: 46
Does anybody own or have owned both the Pre Plus and Preł and used them concurrently?
I barely obtained my first webOS device, the Pre Plus and I'm amazed!

Last edited by davidsdiego; 11/29/2012 at 10:43 PM.
davidsdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 05:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rnp
Member
 
Rnp's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,320
Has you call me?

And add a Veer in package!


Best Regards...
__________________
"If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
(Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Rnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fxspec06 likes this.
Old 11/28/2012, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
davidsdiego's Avatar
 
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Has you call me?

And add a Veer in package!


Best Regards...

I don't understand.
davidsdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rnp
Member
 
Rnp's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,320
I use everyday my Pre 3, my Pre Plus & my Veer.

Believe-me... I miss some option to share profiles!

So... what can I do for you?


Best Regards...
__________________
"If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
(Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Rnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
davidsdiego's Avatar
 
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
I use everyday my Pre 3, my Pre Plus & my Veer.

Believe-me... I miss some option to share profiles!

So... what can I do for you?


Best Regards...
Oh ok, cool! Do you prefer the Pre 3 over the Pre Plus?
Are the headphones the same in the Plus and 3?

After researching and then forgetting about the Pre, I finally obtained
my first Pre Plus (not too long ago) and it was everthing that I was
hoping for!

I know all smartphones have their pros and cons; that's why I own a
different types.
davidsdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
TJs11thPre's Avatar
 
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsdiego View Post
Does anybody own or have owned both the Pre Plus and Pre 3 and used them concurrently?
i have a Pre3 I am testing on various carriers, but I have been daily driving a Pre1 since they released.

I had a "franken" Pre 2 for about a month, but i dropped it and broke the glass.

The Pre and PrePlus are the same, except the Plus has twice the storage capability.

The Pre and Pre3 are almost like different phones, but that is because of the difference in webOS versions. The Pre (and most likely your Plus) use v 1.4.5 The Pre2 and 3 had 2.2.4

The Pre3 is a super fast phone, but I've found is pretty glitchy and requires a significant amount of patience. But it is a really nice phone to use. It's like dating someone who's very pretty and athletic, but high-maintenance and complains a lot.

Meanwhile, my current Pre1* consistently has been a dependable little workhorse. It's had plenty of revisions over its lifespan to work out the bugs. (The Pre3 never had a chance for that kind of support) The Pre's screen is smaller, and plastic, but also easily replaceable. The Pre3 has a better audio codec, but the difference in music quality is more dependent on your headphones' quality than that.

Also, the Pre (and your Plus) is readily available in the used phone market (aka ebay) and there are tutorials to do just about anything to it yourself.

The downsides to a Plus are: no Flash support, so some web content you cannot see; it is a slower processor, so multi-tasking will slow it down (but that is RELATIVE- the phone is still a great multi-tasker!!) and of course, it's limited to 3G data speeds, vs. the Pre3 is HSPA+ ("3.9G")

You will not be disappointed with your Pre Plus. Have no buyer's remorse. Unless you stream a lot of video over cellular you'll be happy with it. And prices are coming down on the Pre3's. If you really want one, wait until after Christmas shopping rush and you'll probably see them for $100. But honestly, the technology of new phones is finally surpassing the Pre3 which was ahead of its time and greatly underestimated by its manufacturer. If a Pre4 was being developed all this time, it would surely have crushed today's leading phones (which are all copying webOS's best features!)

* as my name suggests, i've had a lot of Pre's: between my first-day release Pre, and my current Pre, I had 5 refurbs which were garbage. I was getting replacements from a non-corporate store that I'm pretty sure was not repairing the phones at all. When i finally made a longer trip to a corporate Sprint store, I got a new-in-box replacement, and that is #7 which I've been using steadily for years now. Early phones did have hardware issues, but this Pre has not had a single problem that the other 6 did. And the easy to use webOS is why I didn't mind going to get a replacement each time. The phone is a pleasure to use. I hope you find that too.

Last edited by TJs10thPre; 11/28/2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: wanted to explain why I've had so many phones.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fxspec06 likes this.
Old 11/28/2012, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
davidsdiego's Avatar
 
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs10thPre View Post
i have a Pre3 I am testing on various carriers, but I have been daily driving a Pre1 since they released.

I had a "franken" Pre 2 for about a month, but i dropped it and broke the glass.

The Pre and PrePlus are the same, except the Plus has twice the storage capability.

The Pre and Pre3 are almost like different phones, but that is because of the difference in webOS versions. The Pre (and most likely your Plus) use v 1.4.5 The Pre2 and 3 had 2.2.4

The Pre3 is a super fast phone, but I've found is pretty glitchy and requires a significant amount of patience. But it is a really nice phone to use. It's like dating someone who's very pretty and athletic, but high-maintenance and complains a lot.

Meanwhile, my current Pre1* consistently has been a dependable little workhorse. It's had plenty of revisions over its lifespan to work out the bugs. (The Pre3 never had a chance for that kind of support) The Pre's screen is smaller, and plastic, but also easily replaceable. The Pre3 has a better audio codec, but the difference in music quality is more dependent on your headphones' quality than that.

Also, the Pre (and your Plus) is readily available in the used phone market (aka ebay) and there are tutorials to do just about anything to it yourself.

The downsides to a Plus are: no Flash support, so some web content you cannot see; it is a slower processor, so multi-tasking will slow it down (but that is RELATIVE- the phone is still a great multi-tasker!!) and of course, it's limited to 3G data speeds, vs. the Pre3 is HSPA+ ("3.9G")

You will not be disappointed with your Pre Plus. Have no buyer's remorse. Unless you stream a lot of video over cellular you'll be happy with it. And prices are coming down on the Pre3's. If you really want one, wait until after Christmas shopping rush and you'll probably see them for $100. But honestly, the technology of new phones is finally surpassing the Pre3 which was ahead of its time and greatly underestimated by its manufacturer. If a Pre4 was being developed all this time, it would surely have crushed today's leading phones (which are all copying webOS's best features!)

* as my name suggests, i've had a lot of Pre's: between my first-day release Pre, and my current Pre, I had 5 refurbs which were garbage. I was getting replacements from a non-corporate store that I'm pretty sure was not repairing the phones at all. When i finally made a longer trip to a corporate Sprint store, I got a new-in-box replacement, and that is #7 which I've been using steadily for years now. Early phones did have hardware issues, but this Pre has not had a single problem that the other 6 did. And the easy to use webOS is why I didn't mind going to get a replacement each time. The phone is a pleasure to use. I hope you find that too.
The Pre Plus also has more RAM, more storage, and no home button. I tried a regular Pre and it seemed immensely slow and I didn't like the home button. On my Pre Plus I installed an abundace of Preware patches and overclocked it, so its smoking fast now! Almost as fast as my iPhone 4S. However, my battery doesn't last as long. I do have 4 backup batteries.

I usually don't use 2nd hand phones as a daily phone, although my used Pre Plus was $35 (like new) and webOS kills iOS and Android in so many ways; in my opinion.

I'm amazed on how the Pre Plus' sound quality is on par with the original first generation iPhone. The 1st gen iPhone has a Wolfson Digital Analog Converter (DAC) and blows away my iPhone 4S. Are the headphones in the Pre Plus and Pre3 the same?

I like that the Pre Plus resembles a polished river rock.The hardware feels really cheap, I'd say a 3, although webOS is a 10! It hasn't broken on me just yet. All my past iPhones look like they are built to last. However, they all broke on me, from normal wear and tear, except the first gen iPhone which is the best!

I'm considering the Pre3 right now and might give Android another chance due to JellyBean 4.2. I wonder how the Pre3 keyboard stacks up against a BlackBerry keyboard...
davidsdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
TJs11thPre's Avatar
 
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsdiego View Post
The Pre Plus also has more RAM, more storage, and no home button. I tried a regular Pre and it seemed immensely slow and I didn't like the home button. On my Pre Plus I installed an abundace of Preware patches and overclocked it, so its smoking fast now! Almost as fast as my iPhone 4S. However, my battery doesn't last as long. I do have 4 backup batteries.

I usually don't use 2nd hand phones as a daily phone, although my used Pre Plus was $35 (like new) and webOS kills iOS and Android in so many ways; in my opinion.

I'm amazed on how the Pre Plus' sound quality is on par with the original first generation iPhone. The 1st gen iPhone has a Wolfson Digital Analog Converter (DAC) and blows away my iPhone 4S. Are the headphones in the Pre Plus and Pre3 the same?

I like that the Pre Plus resembles a polished river rock.The hardware feels really cheap, I'd say a 3, although webOS is a 10! It hasn't broken on me just yet. All my past iPhones look like they are built to last. However, they all broke on me, from normal wear and tear, except the first gen iPhone which is the best!

I'm considering the Pre3 right now and might give Android another chance due to JellyBean 4.2. I wonder how the Pre3 keyboard stacks up against a BlackBerry keyboard...
the little headphones packaged with all my Pre's (1, 2, and 3) appears to be the same little earbuds with mic. But i've never used any of them because i have a BT headset.

i HIGHLY recommend the LG HBS-700, now called a 'Tone'. I have two pairs from the 1st gen (with orange color in the magnetic earbud holders. The 2nd gen has grey color in the earbud holding slots.) At my local Sprint store, every tech in there wears these. The asst. mgr reported to me his opinion that the 2nd gen had better sound quality and batt. life, but reduced BT range (between handset & headset). I leave my phone on the touchstone charger, and walk around my apartment with the headset on, and i dont have to run to the phone when it rings. i have never run these things to dead in a day's use, charging nightly. Recharges in 1.5 hrs.

i've compared my LG set with 3 different wired, 'over the ear' headphones on display in that store; JBLs, Beats, and some other brand i can't remember. i thought the sound quality and noise isolation was comparable, so my satisfaction was reaffirmed with my LG set. They are available on ebay for around $50. i love them, which is why i bought a 2nd (on sale!) for when/if the 1st eventually dies. (i like to have back-ups ON HAND)

of course, you can use any earbuds with a microphone & 3.5mm jack, with any Pre model. the ones that come with Pre's don't have the rubber 'noise isolation' earbuds. I find they hurt my ears after a few hours and fall out easily. The rubber kind, (like on the LG) I can wear for well over 8 hrs (streaming music) with no complaints. I have a set of $25 Koss wired headphones, which have remarkable low bass response, that I use occasionally as well. (No mic, just headphones) These are also the rubber in-ear, noise isolation buds.

AS FAR AS KEYBOARDS GO, there is a significant difference. The Pre3 keyboard is 1/8" bigger in each dimension, and has a softer feel. It requires less effort to press the keys, so i do type faster with it, and make slightly fewer incorrect keystrokes. The keyboards of my Pre and Pre2 are the same except the orange highlights have been replaced with grey. But they both feel equally firm to press.

Comparing to a BBerry, most BB keyboards cover the whole bottom of their phone, like a Pixi. But I know of no BBs with keyboard that don't also have the limitation of a smaller screen size. So they are easier to type with, but you'll be scrolling around more to view a whole web page.

The BB Torch (9800/9810) was similar to the Pre physically (a 'portrait slider') but i think it's been discontinued. Look for a used one if you'd like to "test drive" it.

If you're not a webOS addict already, you may want to move to android jellybean and not look back. Today's generation phones with the J-series OS are pretty impressive. Remarkably fast, and has SUPPORT, unlike webOS, which addicts like myself have been "keeping on life support" far longer than we should be, simply because we love it too much to let go.

Last edited by TJs10thPre; 11/29/2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added BB model#
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 06:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
davidsdiego's Avatar
 
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs10thPre View Post
the little headphones packaged with all my Pre's (1, 2, and 3) appears to be the same little earbuds with mic. But i've never used any of them because i have a BT headset.

i HIGHLY recommend the LG HBS-700, now called a 'Tone'. I have two pairs from the 1st gen (with orange color in the magnetic earbud holders. The 2nd gen has grey color in the earbud holding slots.) At my local Sprint store, every tech in there wears these. The asst. mgr reported to me his opinion that the 2nd gen had better sound quality and batt. life, but reduced BT range (between handset & headset). I leave my phone on the touchstone charger, and walk around my apartment with the headset on, and i dont have to run to the phone when it rings. i have never run these things to dead in a day's use, charging nightly. Recharges in 1.5 hrs.

i've compared my LG set with 3 different wired, 'over the ear' headphones on display in that store; JBLs, Beats, and some other brand i can't remember. i thought the sound quality and noise isolation was comparable, so my satisfaction was reaffirmed with my LG set. They are available on ebay for around $50. i love them, which is why i bought a 2nd (on sale!) for when/if the 1st eventually dies. (i like to have back-ups ON HAND)

of course, you can use any earbuds with a microphone & 3.5mm jack, with any Pre model. the ones that come with Pre's don't have the rubber 'noise isolation' earbuds. I find they hurt my ears after a few hours and fall out easily. The rubber kind, (like on the LG) I can wear for well over 8 hrs (streaming music) with no complaints. I have a set of $25 Koss wired headphones, which have remarkable low bass response, that I use occasionally as well. (No mic, just headphones) These are also the rubber in-ear, noise isolation buds.

AS FAR AS KEYBOARDS GO, there is a significant difference. The Pre3 keyboard is 1/8" bigger in each dimension, and has a softer feel. It requires less effort to press the keys, so i do type faster with it, and make slightly fewer incorrect keystrokes. The keyboards of my Pre and Pre2 are the same except the orange highlights have been replaced with grey. But they both feel equally firm to press.

Comparing to a BBerry, most BB keyboards cover the whole bottom of their phone, like a Pixi. But I know of no BBs with keyboard that don't also have the limitation of a smaller screen size. So they are easier to type with, but you'll be scrolling around more to view a whole web page.

The BB Torch (9800/9810) was similar to the Pre physically (a 'portrait slider') but i think it's been discontinued. Look for a used one if you'd like to "test drive" it.

If you're not a webOS addict already, you may want to move to android jellybean and not look back. Today's generation phones with the J-series OS are pretty impressive. Remarkably fast, and has SUPPORT, unlike webOS, which addicts like myself have been "keeping on life support" far longer than we should be, simply because we love it too much to let go.
Thanks for the info on the Bluetooth headphones! I've actually owned quite a few bluetooth devices and I believe the technology is not really up to par to compete with wired headphones just yet; even bluetooth 4.0. I'm sure cost is a factor as well. I've noticed WIFI is better than Bluetooth, although I'm sure a new medium has to emerge soon.

Obviously, they all have pros and cons since they satisfy different requirements. My Grado SR225is are cheaper than my immensely expensive Bowers and Wilkins P5s, although my Grados have superior sound quality. I couldn't take my Grados in a mobile environment since they leak sound. My Grados remind me a lot of the Pré; cheap hardware, although its function returns an amazing output! I found that the Pre Plus headphones to be really comfortable and sound great, despite I thought they were cheap headphones and I was going to throw them away.

I actually owned a BlackBerry Torch and liked it since it reminded me of a Pré. I've only owned 5 different types of BlackBerrys and I can't wait to give BB 10 a try next year! I've also temporarily used a Galaxy S3, with Ice Cream Sandwich, and I really didn't like the UI. The Nexus 4, with JellyBean 4.2 seems promising and I do enjoy Google services. I own an abundance of vintage/modern Apple devices and I'm quite upset with iOS 6 and the iPhone 5. My iPhone 4S is sitting all alone in my desk drawer, while Siri is begging for some attention...

I'm actually considering the Preł, despite the limitations. I'm sure webOS and Preware will more than make up for those minor issues. I hoping Gram and Open webOS become a success in the near future...
davidsdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
fxspec06's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsdiego View Post
Does anybody own or have owned both the Pre Plus and Pre 3 and used them concurrently?
i own a pre plus, two pre 2's, a pre 3, a touchpad, a lumia 800, env2, lg chocolate touch, a block of cheese and a stack of crackers.

but the last two are likely to disappear...

i'd say get a pre plus. it's probably like $20-$70 off contract on ebay and it's pretty awesome for that price i would say

a lot of people seem to forget how unique and satisfying the curvature of the pre -/+'s were. plus the colours on THOSE screens in particular are far superior to that of the screen of the pre 3 IMO.
__________________
Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 81
Quote:
i'd say get a pre plus. it's probably like $20-$70 off contract on ebay and it's pretty awesome for that price i would say

a lot of people seem to forget how unique and satisfying the curvature of the pre -/+'s were. plus the colours on THOSE screens in particular are far superior to that of the screen of the pre 3 IMO.
Really? Good screen? Better than Pre3? Hmm... everyone is entitled their own opinion, I guess. I used the Pre Plus for a long time, and finally upgraded to a Pre2 when the were on sale at Daily Steals this past summer. I'm soooo glad I got that Pre2. The screen is much, much better than the Pre Plus IMO. The glass makes all the difference compared to the cheap plastic screen on the Pre Plus. It's clearer and the touchscreen is much more sensitive. And don't get me started on the keyboards on those Pre Plusses. Pure garbage. Keyboard on the Pre2 is actually pretty good. IMO, the Pre2 is the first webOS phone that should have been released to the public. I've heard that the Pre3 is better still, though I never got a chance to try one out.
noahisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 11:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
davidsdiego's Avatar
 
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
i own a pre plus, two pre 2's, a pre 3, a touchpad, a lumia 800, env2, lg chocolate touch, a block of cheese and a stack of crackers.

but the last two are likely to disappear...

i'd say get a pre plus. it's probably like $20-$70 off contract on ebay and it's pretty awesome for that price i would say

a lot of people seem to forget how unique and satisfying the curvature of the pre -/+'s were. plus the colours on THOSE screens in particular are far superior to that of the screen of the pre 3 IMO.
OMG, that made me laugh!

Yup, I got my Pre Plus off eBay for about $35, not too long ago, and I have an expensive iPhone 4S, that I bought new, sitting in my desk drawer.

I really do like how the Prē and Pre Plus resemble a polished river stone; its very attractive! Also, the screen is really vibrant and the color saturation is astounding. In person, is the exterior of the Preł inferior to the Prē/Pre Plus? Do you think it's worth it getting the Preł?
davidsdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 11:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
davidsdiego's Avatar
 
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahisaac View Post
Really? Good screen? Better than Pre3? Hmm... everyone is entitled their own opinion, I guess. I used the Pre Plus for a long time, and finally upgraded to a Pre2 when the were on sale at Daily Steals this past summer. I'm soooo glad I got that Pre2. The screen is much, much better than the Pre Plus IMO. The glass makes all the difference compared to the cheap plastic screen on the Pre Plus. It's clearer and the touchscreen is much more sensitive. And don't get me started on the keyboards on those Pre Plusses. Pure garbage. Keyboard on the Pre2 is actually pretty good. IMO, the Pre2 is the first webOS phone that should have been released to the public. I've heard that the Pre3 is better still, though I never got a chance to try one out.
The main reason I opted for the Pre Plus over the Pre 2 was price. Another reason was due to the Pre Plus technically being the last phone produced by Palm. According to HP's site on the Pre 2, "Introduced in October 2010 a few months after HP purchased Palm. First phone to be powered by HP webOS 2.0."
davidsdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 08:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsdiego View Post
The main reason I opted for the Pre Plus over the Pre 2 was price. Another reason was due to the Pre Plus technically being the last phone produced by Palm. According to HP's site on the Pre 2, "Introduced in October 2010 a few months after HP purchased Palm. First phone to be powered by HP webOS 2.0."
Yeah that web site is right, pixi has webOS 2.0, PixiPlus had more memory (Plus got WiFi nothing else), Name of devices Palm Veer, Palm Pre3....

The product code tells you the last Palm device (which is the Veer), it is P160 ?notice the P....

So to clear Palm Pre (P100), PrePlus (P101), Pre2 (P102/3), Pixi (P120/200), PixiPlus (P121), and Veer (P160) are all Palm Devices...

HP made Pre3 (HSTNH-F30CE/F30CN/F30CV) and Touchpad (HSTNH-I29C/I30C) the device starts with HSTNH...

FYI the webOSDev2010 (Palm was not yet purchased by HP), they gave away Pre2's (Unlocked), to every person who was there...

For purposes of the OP, I do use my Palm PrePlus (with webOS 2.2.4, with a custom Kernel mashed from Pre2), can not give up my Mobile Hotspot... I do have a webOS 2.1.0 Verizon script which will also give one Skype on the PrePlus (but it will only work on Verizon's Network)...

I have the Pre2 and Pre3, but as the PrePlus is a workhorse it is solid and does everything I need a phone to do... Updated Apps (existing ones from developers) would be nice, newer apps would be nice but that has nothing to do with the Phone...

Last edited by John Steffes; 11/30/2012 at 08:36 AM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 12:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
davidsdiego's Avatar
 
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Yeah that web site is right, pixi has webOS 2.0, PixiPlus had more memory (Plus got WiFi nothing else), Name of devices Palm Veer, Palm Pre3....

The product code tells you the last Palm device (which is the Veer), it is P160 ?notice the P....

So to clear Palm Pre (P100), PrePlus (P101), Pre2 (P102/3), Pixi (P120/200), PixiPlus (P121), and Veer (P160) are all Palm Devices...

HP made Pre3 (HSTNH-F30CE/F30CN/F30CV) and Touchpad (HSTNH-I29C/I30C) the device starts with HSTNH...

FYI the webOSDev2010 (Palm was not yet purchased by HP), they gave away Pre2's (Unlocked), to every person who was there...

For purposes of the OP, I do use my Palm PrePlus (with webOS 2.2.4, with a custom Kernel mashed from Pre2), can not give up my Mobile Hotspot... I do have a webOS 2.1.0 Verizon script which will also give one Skype on the PrePlus (but it will only work on Verizon's Network)...

I have the Pre2 and Pre3, but as the PrePlus is a workhorse it is solid and does everything I need a phone to do... Updated Apps (existing ones from developers) would be nice, newer apps would be nice but that has nothing to do with the Phone...
So you are saying that all the info from http://www.hpwebos.com/ is in correct?

How is the "p" in the Veer product code relevant? The Pre 2 actually says "Palm" on the back cover and they were acquired by HP. Then again, I believe that the general public doesn't know how the transition carried out, unless you were actually there.

According to the site above, the Veer was "Introduced in February 2011. Powered by webOS 2.1.2. Next generation of Pixi/Pixi Plus. Featured Touch-to-Share proximity-based sharing feature, which allows compatible devices to exchange data, media, and information using Bluetooth."

Last edited by davidsdiego; 11/30/2012 at 04:30 PM.
davidsdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 04:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsdiego View Post
So you are saying that all the info from http://www.hpwebos.com/ is in correct?

How is the "p" in the Veer product code relevant? The Pre 2 actually says "Palm" on the back cover and they were acquired by HP. Then again, I believe that the general public doesn't how the transition carried out, unless you were actually there.

According to the site above, the Veer was "Introduced in February 2011. Powered by webOS 2.1.2. Next generation of Pixi/Pixi Plus. Featured Touch-to-Share proximity-based sharing feature, which allows compatible devices to exchange data, media, and information using Bluetooth."
I am saying that a lot of the information that is displayed is incorrect... Yes...

The Legacy Continues... Needs to be corrected...

Palm PrePlus - Introduced in January 2010. Powered by webOS 2.0. Increased memory. Touchstone compatible. Wi-Fi and 3G Hotspot capabilities.

The PrePlus never had a released Doctor for webOS 2.x in the US, only SFR and O2 (and they were not OTA), so it should state that most users are stuck on webOS 1.4.5.x.

Palm Pixi - Introduced in January 2009 and powered by webOS. Considered the smallest smartphone on the market.

However, according to Palm Pixi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The original Pixi was announced on September 8, 2009, on Palm's official blog[1] and was released on November 15, 2009, on the Sprint carrier network in the U.S.

Palm PixiPlus - Introduced in January 2010 along with Pre Plus. Powered by webOS 2.0. Increased memory. Touchstone compatible. Wi-Fi and 3G Hotspot capabilities.

Again, the Plus was addition of WiFi, no memory was increased, again no webOS 2.0, only webOS 1.4.5.x...

However, according to Palm Pixi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Pixi Plus was announced at CES in 2010. The Plus versions include WiFi and the ability to act as a 3G Mobile hotspot (sometimes known as MiFi). The phone was released January 7, 2010, for the Verizon Wireless carrier network, and subsequently for AT&T Mobility, and was released on May 28, 2010, for O2 in the United Kingdom.

Palm Pre2 - Introduced in October 2010 a few months after HP purchased Palm. First phone to be powered by HP webOS 2.0.

Which is correct, according to Palm Pre 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Palm Veer (Branded HP Veer) - Introduced in February 2011. Powered by webOS 2.1.2. Next generation of Pixi/Pixi Plus. Featured Touch-to-Share proximity-based sharing feature, which allows compatible devices to exchange data, media, and information using Bluetooth.

If one looks and Rod's break down of the Veer you will see Palm all over it, including the battery (PB3)...

Follow the link, Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals

The Veer is a smaller then the Palm Pre/PrePlus/Pre2 as for the next generation of Pixi/PixiPlus, that would be the Windsor (which from leaked photos was a slab phone with keyboard, the windsorknot was the same slab without a keyboard, leaked photos were requested to be removed but they can still be found on the internet)...

The Veer does have a A6 chip but without the webOS 2.2.4 (unoffical leaked backup source), it could not exchange data with webOS 2.1.x installed, so even though it had the option to offically it can not...

So yes the web site is incorrect...

FYI this is the most known public doctors: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 04:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
davidsdiego's Avatar
 
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
I am saying that a lot of the information that is displayed is incorrect... Yes...

The Legacy Continues... Needs to be corrected...

Palm PrePlus - Introduced in January 2010. Powered by webOS 2.0. Increased memory. Touchstone compatible. Wi-Fi and 3G Hotspot capabilities.

The PrePlus never had a released Doctor for webOS 2.x in the US, only SFR and O2 (and they were not OTA), so it should state that most users are stuck on webOS 1.4.5.x.

Palm Pixi - Introduced in January 2009 and powered by webOS. Considered the smallest smartphone on the market.

However, according to Palm Pixi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The original Pixi was announced on September 8, 2009, on Palm's official blog[1] and was released on November 15, 2009, on the Sprint carrier network in the U.S.

Palm PixiPlus - Introduced in January 2010 along with Pre Plus. Powered by webOS 2.0. Increased memory. Touchstone compatible. Wi-Fi and 3G Hotspot capabilities.

Again, the Plus was addition of WiFi, no memory was increased, again no webOS 2.0, only webOS 1.4.5.x...

However, according to Palm Pixi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Pixi Plus was announced at CES in 2010. The Plus versions include WiFi and the ability to act as a 3G Mobile hotspot (sometimes known as MiFi). The phone was released January 7, 2010, for the Verizon Wireless carrier network, and subsequently for AT&T Mobility, and was released on May 28, 2010, for O2 in the United Kingdom.

Palm Pre2 - Introduced in October 2010 a few months after HP purchased Palm. First phone to be powered by HP webOS 2.0.

Which is correct, according to Palm Pre 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Palm Veer (Branded HP Veer) - Introduced in February 2011. Powered by webOS 2.1.2. Next generation of Pixi/Pixi Plus. Featured Touch-to-Share proximity-based sharing feature, which allows compatible devices to exchange data, media, and information using Bluetooth.

If one looks and Rod's break down of the Veer you will see Palm all over it, including the battery (PB3)...

Follow the link, Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals

The Veer is a smaller then the Palm Pre/PrePlus/Pre2 as for the next generation of Pixi/PixiPlus, that would be the Windsor (which from leaked photos was a slab phone with keyboard, the windsorknot was the same slab without a keyboard, leaked photos were requested to be removed but they can still be found on the internet)...

The Veer does have a A6 chip but without the webOS 2.2.4 (unoffical leaked backup source), it could not exchange data with webOS 2.1.x installed, so even though it had the option to offically it can not...

So yes the web site is incorrect...

FYI this is the most known public doctors: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
Agree to disagree, although I don't trust Wikipedia as a credible source. Palm was assigned to HP; however they don't equal each other...
davidsdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 04:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsdiego View Post
Agree to disagree, although I don't trust Wikipedia as a credible source. Palm was assigned to HP; however they don't equal each other...
Well,

I have a Palm PrePlus, PixiPlus show me the webOS 2.0 doctor (for Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc..), I know there is one for PrePlus O2/SFR build 284/285?

I have specs of the Pixi 256M of Ram, 8G of Flash, the PixiPlus 256M of Ram, 8G of Flash (FYI if one looks at memory available it is even less 192, as the modem software is also sharing the memory in the Pixi/PixiPlus)...

Where is the memory increase?

I own a HP Veer, it's device ID is P160 for Palm.

I understand you want to agree to disagree but, just because someone in HP put it on a web site, does not make it fact...

wikipedia, maybe not 100% fact, but when it comes to history, I own the devices, I can not with a public doctor released from HP/Palm upgrade to webOS 2.0 on my Verizon Branded Palm PrePlus or PixiPlus...

Now I can use the meta application and create a script with a backup of a SFR PixiPlus, create a unoffical doctor as I made the script...

webOS 2.1.0 Doctor for PixiPlus on Verizon, AT&T, and WR (ROW)/Pixi on Sprint!

But that does not count... it is not an public released webOS version from HP/Palm...

If so they also have to release the GPL of the Palm PixiPlus Kernel show me it on...

Welcome to opensource.palm.com - Palm

All you will find is: linux kernel (pre 2) linux kernel (pre plus) ...

Where is the pixi kernel...

So I will send an email to opensourcequestions@palm.com demanding that they open source the Pixi webOS 2.0 kernel as according to their web site it is being used...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 05:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
davidsdiego's Avatar
 
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Well,

I have a Palm PrePlus, PixiPlus show me the webOS 2.0 doctor (for Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc..), I know there is one for PrePlus O2/SFR build 284/285?

I have specs of the Pixi 256M of Ram, 8G of Flash, the PixiPlus 256M of Ram, 8G of Flash (FYI if one looks at memory available it is even less 192, as the modem software is also sharing the memory in the Pixi/PixiPlus)...

Where is the memory increase?

I own a HP Veer, it's device ID is P160 for Palm.

I understand you want to agree to disagree but, just because someone in HP put it on a web site, does not make it fact...

wikipedia, maybe not 100% fact, but when it comes to history, I own the devices, I can not with a public doctor released from HP/Palm upgrade to webOS 2.0 on my Verizon Branded Palm PrePlus or PixiPlus...

Now I can use the meta application and create a script with a backup of a SFR PixiPlus, create a unoffical doctor as I made the script...

webOS 2.1.0 Doctor for PixiPlus on Verizon, AT&T, and WR (ROW)/Pixi on Sprint!

But that does not count... it is not an public released webOS version from HP/Palm...

If so they also have to release the GPL of the Palm PixiPlus Kernel show me it on...

Welcome to opensource.palm.com - Palm

All you will find is: linux kernel (pre 2) linux kernel (pre plus) ...

Where is the pixi kernel...

So I will send an email to opensourcequestions@palm.com demanding that they open source the Pixi webOS 2.0 kernel as according to their web site it is being used...
Right, that's fine and dandy; however, the original argument was which device was the last one made by Palm.

You said "The product code tells you the last Palm device (which is the Veer), it is P160 ?notice the P....".

I still say that it might be the Palm Pre Plus, although I wonder if Derek knows...
davidsdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 05:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsdiego View Post
Right, that's fine and dandy; however, the original argument was which device was the last one made by Palm.

You said "The product code tells you the last Palm device (which is the Veer), it is P160 ?notice the P....".

I still say that it might be the Palm Pre Plus, although I wonder if Derek knows...
I agree, the product code tells the story, also FCC filing Palm filed a unknown product at the time, which later became the HP Veer. http://www.wirelessgoodness.com/tag/veer/

Also the Pre2 was also a Palm Device (I also have one), and it has palm's name all over it (including all over the packaging)...

So saying the PrePlus was the last I disagree, I would say Palm had several devices in the pipe line, it takes lots of time to come up with a device....
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0