webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Facebook for HP webOS
Facebook for HP webOS
Like Tree30Likes

Old 11/26/2012, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

I posted this in the App section, but figured that some of my brothers still clinging to their original Palm Pre (like me) might be better found in this section... I am experiencing a problem with the my Facebook App... My device is a Palm Pre with webOS 1.4.5 and Facebook v1.5.62... Starting this morning, when opening the Facebook App I received a message stating "Communications error. An error occurred communicating with the server." and it gave me the option to "Retry" (which repeatedly generated the same Communications Error message) or "Dismiss" which would initially open the App, but without functionality & with a news feed that wouldn't refresh.

I then came to this forum and found a few Facebook threads... The first suggestion that I attempted was to go into my Facebook App account preferences and sign out & back into my account. I was unable to successfully sign out of my account from my Pre - when I tried to sign out of the account I received a message saying "AcctMgr_Authentication_Bad_Request".

I then got on my desktop computer to sign in to my Facebook account and take a better look at my account from a computer. I went to my Account Settings/Apps page and noticed that the Facebook for HP webOS App has mysteriously disappeared and is no longer showing in my list of authorized apps. I also noticed that mobile uploads of 2 photos that I posted to Facebook from my Pre last Friday were no longer showing on my timeline (Actually all of my Mobile Uploads are missing - when I go to my Photos section it shows a Mobile Uploads folder with 9 photos, but when I open the folder there are no pictures there).

So the disappearance of the Facebook for HP webOS authorization has obviously created the issue with the App's integration between my Facebook account and my Pre.

I next went back to my Pre and uninstalled and reinstalled the Facebook App, thinking that the new installation & sign on would create a new authorization script for my account. Unfortunately that was not the case. The App did reinstall successfully, however when I open the App and get the initial Sign In page I am unable to sign in to my account and am back to getting the "AcctMgr_Authentication_Bad_Request" message that I had received earlier.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how this issue can be resolved?
jg_zona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't recall if I've used the Facebook app today on my Pre, but when I tried to sign in after finishing my FrankenPre2, I got a 401_UNAUTHORIZED error. The description says: When in development mode, only application owners can use this method. Surely that has nothing to do with developer mode being enabled on my phone. When I tried to log in via the accounts app, it said invalid credentials. I don't know if this is related to your error or not, but it has me wondering. I also checked my apps on the website and the webOS apps are all missing, and if you search, they don't come up. Going to try again on my Pre here in a minute.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Starting the app on my Pre, which just worked yesterday or possibly today, now says "User cannot access this application"

Edit: oddly enough, after I dismissed it, it retrieved my news feed, and appears to have let me update my status.

On further review, my status update did not post.

Also, turning off developer mode did not help. :P
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 11/26/2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11/26/2012, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Starting the app on my Pre, which just worked yesterday or possibly today, now says "User cannot access this application"

Edit: oddly enough, after I dismissed it, it retrieved my news feed, and appears to have let me update my status.

On further review, my status update did not post.

Also, turning off developer mode did not help. :P
Same problem on my Palm Pre 2 phone Facebook app, saying that the "User cannot access this application" error when loading the application. Don't know what it's this error causing it, but it's scary knowing that somehow this app has run its course(now it's broken) with no possibility of a future update that could fix this problem
Old 11/26/2012, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I suspect Facebook has done something to cause this.

Old 11/27/2012, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

I seem to be able to retrieve my news feed and notifications after a couple of tries. I suspect the webOS Synergy app got pulled off of Facebook, and while current tokens may be valid, new ones can't be obtained. Maybe the undocumented API call the system used for authentication has finally been disabled (it was in a deprecated API version anyway). In any case, unless HP can restore this soon, we may have to get someone to set up a new API key and rewrite the Synergy authenticator to use web based login (which would probably be really annoying).
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 12:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Undocumented eh? Surely Palm had permission to use it? I'd hope anyway.

Old 11/27/2012, 12:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just now I was able to comment on my status from my Touchpad app, but not update my status. Anyone else?

Thanked By: shanpalm61
Old 11/27/2012, 01:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

This error...
Quote:
401_UNAUTHORIZED - Facebook login failed 1: [400]: When in development mode, only application owners can use this method
Maybe it actually means HP has put the app back under development, and are working on some stuff. It's likely temporary, just like the backups. Could be for Open webOS, or maybe the same reason backups were malfunctioning.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 02:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

well i get a Error in Communication "user cannot acces this application".
Could have something to do with Facebook starting to request SSL connections:
Facebook starts rolling out HTTPS by default - The H Security: News and Features
Old 11/27/2012, 03:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

I believe it's what gimzo says. I don't use the App much, just for my notifications (which have been erratic the past month and I needed to manually turn off/turn on notifications in order to receive them) and to post a status, but this is a big problem.
The app in my touchpad takes a lot of time to load and then gets me to the account screen where my account is not present and I dont seem able to add it again.
The app in my Pre2 starts with communication error, if I dismiss it it then loads. I can still post in other people's statuses or upload pics (I think).
Very bad situation indeed
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 03:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

I have been getting this too lately. I can post status updates, but they don't seem to appear anywhere except from in the Palm Facebook app.
Attached Images
File Type: png facebook_2012-27-11_091443.png (56.6 KB, 38 views) Email Attachment
Charence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 04:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yesterday suddenly all my photo's in my Facebook album "Mobile Uploads" where gone. I didn't check today yet. Also all my mobile posts(Pre3 and Touchpad) have disappeared.

Very strange. Does this have anything to do with this topic or is this unrelated?
I'm in Europe btw, but I set Facebook to English.
Jozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 05:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Wow, you're right. All the mobile uploads do not exist !!!
Comments and likes still work I think. No status updates though and the worse is the mobile uploads thing.
Devastating
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 05:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
Yesterday suddenly all my photo's in my Facebook album "Mobile Uploads" where gone. I didn't check today yet. Also all my mobile posts(Pre3 and Touchpad) have disappeared.

Very strange. Does this have anything to do with this topic or is this unrelated?
I'm in Europe btw, but I set Facebook to English.

ayer en la noche empece a experimentar el problema no puedo iniciar sesión, y no puedo subir fotos, también no se actualiza el estado, lo probé en mi hp ouchpad, pre 3 y pre original, y en ninguno de los tres funcionaba, es posible que la API que usa webOs ya este obsoleta, HP dará alguna actualización?

Staff edit: Google Translate.... very helpful if you are replying...
Quote:
last night I started to experience the problem I can not log in, and I can not upload photos, also does not update the status, I tried it on my hp ouchpad, pre pre 3 and original, and none of them worked, you may API that uses the webOS and the outdated HP give an update?

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/27/2012 at 06:58 AM.
MAMISHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 06:44 AM   #16 (permalink)

You are indeed right! So odd!
I didn't think this would affect old posts too!
It feels as though someone has purposely gone back and removed all content that was submitted from webOS...

In my Mobile Uploads, the summary says there are 141 images, but when you open it only 28 images (all not uploaded from webOS) appear.

So strange...

Report the bug https://www.facebook.com/help/

EDIT:
If I remember correctly, everything was submitted through a Facebook app called "Facebook for HP webOS"?
That seems to have disappeared now. Maybe deleting that app also deleted any content submitted through it?

Last edited by Charence; 11/27/2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11/27/2012, 08:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charence View Post
You are indeed right! So odd!
I didn't think this would affect old posts too!
It feels as though someone has purposely gone back and removed all content that was submitted from webOS...

In my Mobile Uploads, the summary says there are 141 images, but when you open it only 28 images (all not uploaded from webOS) appear.

So strange...

Report the bug https://www.facebook.com/help/

EDIT:
If I remember correctly, everything was submitted through a Facebook app called "Facebook for HP webOS"?
That seems to have disappeared now. Maybe deleting that app also deleted any content submitted through it?
Did you report this to Facebook?

My collegue (who has an iPhone) said that Facebook had changed an API. Somehow he could see that. Don't ask me how. He is a developer (not for Facebook).
Maybe this change also involved removing support for WebOS. I hope not, but I think it's possible.

Maybe this topic should be moved by an admin since it's not related to Pre and Pre+ only.

Last edited by Jozz; 11/27/2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Added suggestion for Topic move.
Old 11/27/2012, 08:43 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
Did you report this to Facebook?

My collegue (who has an iPhone) said that Facebook had changed an API. Somehow he could see that. Don't ask me how. He is a developer (not for Facebook).
Maybe this change also involved removing support for WebOS. I hope not, but I think it's possible.

Maybe this topic should be moved by an admin since it's not related to Pre and Pre+ only.
Yes, but I'm not sure if anyone will actually see it. I think the removal of Facebook for HP webOS might have caused the problem too. Since the app no longer appears in Privacy Settings, it probably affects its ability to display content on your Facebook account.
Thanked By: Jozz
Old 11/27/2012, 08:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

I found another active topic on the forums here about the issue: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...yone-else.html
Old 11/27/2012, 09:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

I tried reporting this to Facebook? Under the column that's meant for reporting failing Facebook apps, webOS has been removed. What's the most appropriate alternative, in which I can report this? I'm super-upset that my old uploads & statuses disappeared.
shulem unger is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0