webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Frankenpre from a broken screen device?
Frankenpre from a broken screen device?
Like Tree1Likes

Old 11/21/2012, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've got an early Sprint Pre and I recently got a Pre2 for creating a Sprint Frankenpre. Unfortunately before I had the chance to do the operation the screen on the Pre cracked (multiple cracks fanning out from the lower middle button). The touchscreen still displays everything fine, but won't accept any touch input. I can launch the Save/Restore application with the keyboard, but I can't press the "Save Selected" button onscreen. Likewise I can launch the Backup application, but can't turn backups off. I'm not able to get the device into USB drive mode (because I can't select that from the options I get when I plug in the USB cable). Basically I can't do anything that requires a touchscreen input.

Is there any way to do this without any screen input?

Thanks.

Last edited by JayV; 11/21/2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling error
JayV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Orange+sym+U will put it in USB drive mode to get files. As for app databases, I'm not sure what your options are if any. If it's in developer mode, you can pull stuff off with webos quickinstall, or via sftp if you install the PDK device components using the SDK.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: JayV
Old 11/21/2012, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

You can force developer mode with the activation bypass tool. You can then download a copy of webOS Doctor, extract it, and read the source for the calls needed to turn on and off various system functions. Use luna-send to run those commands, and it's just as good as using the app.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

A few weeks ago my freshly franked Pre2 was run over by a truck (and a car). It still took calls and I could still jam a USB in it. I used command line access to Save/Restore so I could grab my recent Keyring entries from that morning and then moved the Sprint comm board to another donor Pre2.
Here's a link to the technique I used to run Save/Restore via CL:
Save/Restore Community Development
-Worked like a charm (my Sprint comm board chugs on)!

EDIT: Link above shows how to run all Save/Restore scripts via CL, I actually just needed Keyring this time (only thing that changed since last backup) so this link was what I used (couldn't find it at first):
Keyring - Easy password management

Last edited by bbito; 11/21/2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Added correct URL
bbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I forgot about the activation bypass tool.. I'll blame being on the road. I even used it on a Pre that was having Dr issues to try check t out via ssh.
Old 11/22/2012, 08:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try to force developer mode with the activation bypass tool and run Save/Restore from command line. I'm going to try and follow the instructions for the activation bypass tool in this video:
how to bypass activation palm pre - YouTube
If there are better instructions somewhere else I'll try those. I'm kind of at a level where I should be able to do this, but I'm not super familiar with webOS beyond an everyday user, so any advice and pointers to good step by step instructions is appreciated.

Thanks again for the assistance.
Old 11/22/2012, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well, I screwed up. Thanks again everyone for the assistance. I ran the devicetool.jar which I think forced it into developer mode. Then I ran the webosdoctor which I believe deleted everything and I'm now at a screen asking me to choose between english and spanish (which I can't do as the touchscreen is still broken). I guess it's time to try and transplant the sprint comboard into the Verizon Pre2 and then see what happens. I believe all my info on the Sprint Pre is gone.
Old 11/22/2012, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ah, yes, you should have stopped before webOS Doctor. Remember it removes everything except what's on the USB drive partition. If you have anything important there you can still retrieve it.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm moving on without any of the data from the Sprint Pre. I have the sprint comboard in the Verizon Pre2. I need to change the Pre2 to my profile. Am I correct that I need to run MetaDoctor for that? I'm a bit confused as it looks like MetaDoctor may be for updating webOS versions. Do I just need to run webOSdoctor on the Pre2 with the Sprint comboard? Or is there an easier or better way to get rid of the previous owners profile and get it to recognize mine?

Thanks again.
Old 11/22/2012, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

There is a metadoctor script specifically for a Sprint Pre2. You need to run that. Before you do, you should spend some time reading the Wiki page on the subject. It outlines all of the steps you need to follow.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Old 11/24/2012, 11:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'm trying to follow the directions for the metadoctor process but I'm running into a problem with the turning off the automatic backups. When I try to turn them off in the Backup app I get a "No Internet Connection" error. I'm connected to a wi-fi connection, I can open various web pages, so I'm not sure why the Backup app doesn't see the internet connection. The current profile on the phone belongs to the previous owner (mine was on the pre with the cracked screen, that has since been doctored). So backups for my profile were never turned off. Not sure what will happen if backups on this other persons profile aren't turned off.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 11/24/2012, 07:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayV View Post
I'm trying to follow the directions for the metadoctor process but I'm running into a problem with the turning off the automatic backups. When I try to turn them off in the Backup app I get a "No Internet Connection" error. I'm connected to a wi-fi connection, I can open various web pages, so I'm not sure why the Backup app doesn't see the internet connection. The current profile on the phone belongs to the previous owner (mine was on the pre with the cracked screen, that has since been doctored). So backups for my profile were never turned off. Not sure what will happen if backups on this other persons profile aren't turned off.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay
I didn't turn off backups for either of my comm board moves (Pre- to Pre2 and Pre2 to Pre2). The directions I was going off suggested I could take my chances - and I did with no ill effects I've noticed.

However I believe this to be completely unrelated, but several folks running 2.2.4 (myself included) haven't been able to use WebOS Backup since the 19th: HP\Palm Backup Not Working?????

It seems HP changed something that effects those of us with frankenPre2s...
bbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2012, 10:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbito View Post
I didn't turn off backups for either of my comm board moves (Pre- to Pre2 and Pre2 to Pre2). The directions I was going off suggested I could take my chances - and I did with no ill effects I've noticed.

However I believe this to be completely unrelated, but several folks running 2.2.4 (myself included) haven't been able to use WebOS Backup since the 19th: HP\Palm Backup Not Working?????

It seems HP changed something that effects those of us with frankenPre2s...
bump bbito.....

Not a good time to be doing any doctoring or anything that you will need to reload data from the palm profile.

Just a minor inconvience!

Hans
hans109h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2012, 11:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm basically ready to run metadoctor (I think) but held off due to not being able to successfully follow the instruction to turn off automatic backups. Is the recommendation to wait a couple days and hope that something changes on HP's server? If I'm understanding correctly, even if I successfully metadoctor, I likely won't be able to access my profile anyway?

Thanks again,
Jay
Old 11/25/2012, 01:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm basically ready to run metadoctor (I think) but held off due to not being able to successfully follow the instruction to turn off automatic backups. Is the recommendation to wait a couple days and hope that something changes on HP's server? If I'm understanding correctly, even if I successfully metadoctor, I likely won't be able to access my profile anyway?

Thanks again,
Jay
I doctored my phone today and cannot access my palm profile. My touchpad is able to backup as of about 24 hours ago. Considering that there is something going on with the backup servers, I would recommend not doctoring if you want to have a working device with your profile.....but if you're willing to give it a try, let us know if you get access to your profile.

Hans
Old 11/25/2012, 08:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans109h View Post
...I would recommend not doctoring if you want to have a working device with your profile.....but if you're willing to give it a try, let us know if you get access to your profile.

Hans
Ok, right now I have a phone that can make and receive calls and I can access the web (I wasn't expecting that after the com board swap, prior to doctoring). But it's got the previous owners profile. I'll wait a few days and see if anything changes and profiles become available.

Thanks for all the advice and help to everyone in this thread.

Jay
Old 11/25/2012, 07:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, right now I have a phone that can make and receive calls and I can access the web (I wasn't expecting that after the com board swap, prior to doctoring). But it's got the previous owners profile. I'll wait a few days and see if anything changes and profiles become available.

Thanks for all the advice and help to everyone in this thread.

Jay

There have been multiple confirmations that the server problem has been resolved, as they are for me too. I think it's safe for you to go ahead.

Hans
Old 11/26/2012, 09:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Trying to run metadoctor, everything appears to have gone as expected, as the script launches the doctor, but once I get to the screen instructing me to connect the phone to the computer via usb cable, nothing happens. I plug in the cable and I get the "USB Drive" or "Just Charge" option on the phone. I've waited without making a selection and tried selecting each option. I've tried various USB ports on the computer and nothing happens. The "Next" button never becomes an available option.

Have I missed something?

Thanks,
Jay
Old 11/26/2012, 09:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

Answering my own question...bad form I know, but maybe someone else will find it useful.

While waiting for the "Next" button to activate I followed the following and it seemed to do the trick:

If your PC does not recognize your device and you cannot go past step 3 above, try the following steps:

Disconnect the USB cable
Completely power off the device (hold down the power button until the option to power off appears)
Remove the battery
Connect the USB cable and wait for the battery image to appear on the screen (or wait around 10-15 seconds)
Hold down the Up button on the volume rocker
While holding the Up button, insert the battery. The USB logo will appear on the screen
"Next" should now be enabled - proceed with the recovery
Old 11/26/2012, 09:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Yes, that is the procedure to put your phone in recovery mode, which is one of the steps listed in the franken-pre2 process. I actually just finished meta-doctoring my own franken-pre2 about a couple hours ago. So far so good. I signed in with an alternate profile for now because I haven't backed up my data from my Pre yet.

Have you completed the process yet? How's it going?

Tags
broken screen, pre

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0