webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Frankenpre from a broken screen device?
Frankenpre from a broken screen device?
Like Tree1Likes

Old 11/27/2012, 05:48 PM   #21 (permalink)

I did complete the process last night. It was a bit of a struggle every step of the way to be honest, and I'm pleased I was eventually successful, though it wasn't as easy and straightforward as I expected it to be.

I very much appreciate the effort that went into making it possible to use a Pre2 on Sprint. I also very much appreciate the help and advice I received in this thread. I sincerely hope that I'll be able to get a new webOs phone off a shelf from a service provider when the Pre 2 fails someday.
JayV is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Old 11/30/2012, 07:17 PM   #22 (permalink)

My Frankenpre is working well so far and I've gotten most of the stuff restored that I expected to. I put the Verizon com board in the Sprint Pre with the cracked screen thinking I might still be able to access the USB drive portion of it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. In recovery mode the USB symbol shows up, but none of the computers I've tried it on seem to recognize a USB storage device is attached.

Should it show up as a USB device? Is there something I'm missing, or is it acting as expected?

Thanks again,

Jay
Old 11/30/2012, 07:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

The USB Symbol is only for recovery mode.. USB storage doesn't work in recovery mode. Let it boot normally and press orange + sym + U then you should see the little hard drive icon.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: JayV
Old 11/30/2012, 08:07 PM   #24 (permalink)

Thanks Matt,
When I let it boot normally I get a screen that says:

Phone Error
Your phone is experiencing an error that cannot be resolved.
Visit palm.com/support for help

The screen appears to refresh every 10 seconds or so. It doesn't seem to respond to any input from the keyboard. The power button will bring up a "Turn Off" or "Cancel" options box, but that is refreshed to the blue error screen.

Orange-Symbol-U has no effect.

Last edited by JayV; 11/30/2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11/30/2012, 08:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

Yeah.. if you are getting the ROM screen it's not far enough along. When did it start doing that? Was it doing that before you swapped the comm boards?
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 08:19 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Yeah.. if you are getting the ROM screen it's not far enough along. When did it start doing that? Was it doing that before you swapped the comm boards?
No, it seemed to boot as expected prior to swapping the com boards. I don't think I've ever gotten it to boot normally after the swap, though I haven't tried very many times.

Tags
broken screen, pre

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0