webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Restoring a Pre Minus
Restoring a Pre Minus

Old 11/21/2012, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have an older Pre Minus that will soon be passed on to my son as his first phone. It was my wife's Pre, but I was the one who had all the apps and such. What I would like to do is reset that Pre, sign in as me, and have it download all my apps to the Pre for my son. What I'm worried about is whether the app store is still functional. Recently, on my old Pre, I was having problems with a game, so I deleted it, and whenever I opened the app store to re-download, the app store crashed. I still have never been able to get back into the app store to re-download that game. My fear is that I'll reset my wife's Pre and I won't be able to log in as myself or download anything to the Pre for my son.

Basically, what I'm asking is, is the app store still functional and can I reset my wife's old Pre, sign in as me, and have it download my old apps to the phone?
jkeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you still planning on using a webOS phone, you'll want a separate account as each Palm Profile can only hold one phone. Other than that you shouldn't experience any problems. Not all apps will automatically restore, so be prepared to hunt down for some apps.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jkeitz
Old 11/21/2012, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
If you still planning on using a webOS phone, you'll want a separate account as each Palm Profile can only hold one phone. Other than that you shouldn't experience any problems. Not all apps will automatically restore, so be prepared to hunt down for some apps.
Thanks, I should have been more clear about that. I replaced my Pre with an iPhone last year. I still keep it around to play games on, but it isn't a phone anymore. It shouldn't be a problem for me to be signed in on the other Pre as well, since that will be the only functioning phone of the two.
Old 11/21/2012, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

You should never sign two phones into the same Palm Profile, unless the old ones are *never* going to connect to WiFi, or the last one to sign in will cause the others to get wiped.
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jkeitz
Old 11/21/2012, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
You should never sign two phones into the same Palm Profile, unless the old ones are *never* going to connect to WiFi, or the last one to sign in will cause the others to get wiped.
Oh, ok, that's a big deal. I thought WiFi wouldn't be a problem. Looks like I just won't do it. Not worth it!
Old 11/21/2012, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

There is one option I didn't mention, but it's only useful if you don't ever plan on adding more apps to the old devices (other than homebrew apps from Preware). There is a documented way of disconnecting from your Palm Profile without signing out of it. You lose access to the app catalog and backups, but can keep the installed apps and use WiFi. I have done this procedure on a 2.x device, but not a 1.4.5 device. If you think you might want to try it, I'll try to find the link - it's on the webosinternals wiki.
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0