webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > freeTether options?
freeTether options?

Old 11/05/2012, 01:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello, Ive read some threads about this being discussed but no fixes have been mentioned.

I use freeTether and it works alright. Here is my complaints.

- Sometimes you have to go to a page on the pre browser first and make sure it connects, otherwise - no internet / randomly dies out on you sometimes as well
- Ive gone through a couple batteries because even if it is plugged into the wall I have seen it drain. Must run it open cover and by the cold window ( it helps, I used to use a freezer pack under it, seriously ) but this is really hard on the battery. I wish it wasn't!

- After closing the tab battery drainage as well, Found a suggestion of doing a luna restart. I always turn it to OFF and give it a second.

Im a sprint user Would I be better off switching to a pre plus or pre 2?

Anyway, is there a way I can have my cake and eat it too?

a Tether app - with no downsides?!
kozanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

I too use freeTether, but it's in my car, and I have it next to an ac vent to keep it cool. But I do have it plugged and it stays charged. No problems.
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

I use it a good bit. It is pretty good, but I had better success with Mobile Hotspot (I had a Verizon Pre+, now on a Pre2 with VZW). I too get pretty hot...and sitting on the touchstone, the phone usually stays at the same charge level...or slightly looses charge over time. If I'm in my car, I sometimes hold the phone up to the air vent to cool it off.

The rest of my post is a bit off topic...but it is related to the use of FreeTether, so I hope that is ok.

Sometimes, when I try to activate the wifi, I get the spinning wheel of doom which won't go away...and so I get no wifi hotspot. Sometimes closing the app and starting it again works...sometimes it takes a reboot. A reboot on my device takes about 7 minutes and change. Climate change is happening before I get my freetether wifi going. This is embarrassing and problematic, as I use my Pre2 as a hotspot to do presentations where I need to access an internet application to demonstrate during the training event. So far, I've managed to work it out...I'm fearful that the day will come when I cannot.

This issue is making me think about switching to another OS. I'm getting pressured by my office to change to something supported, something with a future, something in this decade. There were 3 Pre+ users...now I am the only one left in my office. The other Trainers use Android phones and use Verizon's mobile hotspot. I think they have had no issues. The extra cost won't be an issue since the phone is provided by my office.

I may have no choice but to move. And I tell you, having a real GPS solution with turn by turn directions and ACTUAL MOVING GPS LOCKS would make my life easier.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2012, 06:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Palm pre is dead I guess.

Speak freely in my threads - Go on about your pet dog, what you ate, who you want to dance with tonight.

I should just keep searching, I was hoping for a good ole spoon feedin of 'Hey, I got this app and its way better than freetether

Or, hey tweak this setting inside freetether ( it has some dev settings or something if you know what to type? as if )

Its a little trilly, inconvenient, but sure is cheaper than internet in my area...

Thanks for the software though - no disrespect but I pay for it in batteries rather than donations. My phone gets hot too and probably makes it unstable in the long-run - Can computer components take high heat really well? mmmm no?

It was worse when I was overklockin its better w/o
Anyone have a suggestion I could switch to with free tethering hax
This whole Mobile Nations passport thing is rediculas, Ive tried logging in a bunch (few days ago ), then I switched browsers - the whole scriptblocking feature from FF was owning it up so I couldn't even login.
Old 11/13/2012, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

There are some cross App/Patch conflicts which make freetether hold your CPU at max clock speed. Not sure which those are exactly. Check through Govnah to determine if that is happening and search the forum a bit more for the combos that cause this if that is indeed what is happening.

Have you tried USB tethering to avoid running WiFi or Bluetooth radio in addition to the other load? Plus it would trickle charge while tethered.

I always keep the slider open when tethering to help dissipate heat.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
There are some cross App/Patch conflicts which make freetether hold your CPU at max clock speed. Not sure which those are exactly. Check through Govnah to determine if that is happening and search the forum a bit more for the combos that cause this if that is indeed what is happening.

Have you tried USB tethering to avoid running WiFi or Bluetooth radio in addition to the other load? Plus it would trickle charge while tethered.

Are there special steps to use USB tethering? Seems like I recall it takes something special...like above normal intelligence...to get it to work...that might keep it out of my realm of achievability.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2012, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post

Conflicts eah? Good thinking! I dont run any other apps but If I start removing any patches that may fix it ( Though I only have a handfull of each aftermarket ap ) I know its not Internalz because I recently added that.

The usb tethering would be alright except it may not charge quick enough like the wall charger and I have to have my phone in the window. I would have to whip out my really long usb cable. I am getting awesome signal as of a month ago because it is getting colder I think, less clouds. No bluetooth option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
Are there special steps to use USB tethering? Seems like I recall it takes something special...like above normal intelligence...to get it to work...that might keep it out of my realm of achievability.
There was a setup I followed a long time ago to set it up as a modem. Then there is just one setting I have played with but it didn't effect much, like a rate setting for the modem. Yeah, nothing better than playing with incompatible drivers for hours! Older or newer OS than what it is designed for, etc.
Old 11/15/2012, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
My experience with the Enable USBPass patch was very not good... And that is the stock answer you find around here for how to USB tether. It borked my phone pretty good.

So I left it alone for awhile. Then when I got my Veer and needed to unlock it I used Dogbert's Method. A side benefit of that is it generates the USB Passthrough unlock code. It's like the unlock code for carrier lock. Input it once and you are in forever. I got the USB Passthrough code for my Veer when I unlocked it and then I used the same method on my GSM Unlocked Pre 2 and unlocked the USBPass there as well. I've USB tethered with both of them.

Once you unlock USB Passthrough that is half the battle...

The other half is getting your PC/Laptop to recognize the phone as a modem. Depends on your OS. More details here: USBnet Setup - WebOS Internals

Plug in to the USB on your computer... Dial into USB on the dialer #*USBPASS# and select Configure USB Passthrough > toggle Use USBNet to "On"

It will tell you to configure ports - I leave those at the default settings.

Fire up freetether and select USB tethering. Enjoy.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 01:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Oah yeah, in my friends case of freeTether, there is nothing else installed except freetether.

So there shouldn't be any compatibility issues with programs or patches...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0