1.    #1  
    Hi - I tried to find a similar thread but I can't. Sorry if I am duping.

My original Sprint Pre (which has been chugging along fine) now drops the web connection when I am on the phone. it comes right back on when the phone hangs up. I'm at a total loss.
    That's normal, as it isn't capable of both web and phone at the same time. Pre3 on the other hand can do that.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Use the WIFIs. CDMA does not allow data and voice at the same time. It has been a while, but there are other threads on the subject.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    That's normal, as it isn't capable of both web and phone at the same time. Pre3 on the other hand can do that.
    Not necessarily.....

GSM can do that, Pre3 on VZW would do the same thing without WiFi connection.

CDMA doesn't work that way...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Not necessarily.....

GSM can do that, Pre3 on VZW would do the same thing without WiFi connection.

CDMA doesn't work that way...
    How does Pre3 do it then? Is the Pre3 a GSM phone...how does it work on VZW? I thought VZW was CDMA only...no? Does the Pre3 have both a GSM and a CDMA radio? But again, if VZW is CDMA only, that wouldn't help.

I'm a bit confused....did I say 'a bit'?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

The VZW Pre 3 can do CDMA and GSM so it uses CDMA on VZW. So I guess WiFi on a VZW Pre 3 would work when on AT&T but not on VZW network?
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    I am on Verizon, with a PrePlus (with webOS 2.2.4), my WiFi is active, when I am on a call as long as I am associated to a WiFi access point, My wifes phone (not webOS) does the exact same thing...

Can't speak for Sprint, but on phone (cdma), WiFi should still work, but YMMV...

FYI used to love AT&T commercials concerning data and voice work at the same time, I have always been able to do that with CDMA and WiFi (always was near a hotspot when I needed it), now with Skype I can do both over CDMA...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 10/05/2012 at 01:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    How does Pre3 do it then? Is the Pre3 a GSM phone...how does it work on VZW? I thought VZW was CDMA only...no? Does the Pre3 have both a GSM and a CDMA radio? But again, if VZW is CDMA only, that wouldn't help.

I'm a bit confused....did I say 'a bit'?
    The VZW phone was billed as one of their "world phones" since most of the world outside of NA (north america) uses GSM as standard, so world travelers on VZW don't have to get a second phone to travel with. If the phone is on VZW you are using the CDMA radio so the only way to do voice and data would be to be connected to a WiFi hotspot for the data portion and CDMA would carry the voice portion.

Now a GSM connected Pre3 (including the VZW Pre3 when on GSM carrier) can handle voice and data at the same time without having WiFi turned on.

To clarify, basically I was clarifying sledges post that the Pre3 can handle it because his was on GSM, but Pre+, Pre2, etc connected with GSM can do the same. The OPs issue is the fact that they are using a CDMA carrier (specifically Sprint in this instance).

Hope that clears it up a lil more for folks.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I am on Verizon, with a PrePlus (with webOS 2.2.4), my WiFi is active, when I am on a call as long as I am associated to a WiFi access point, My wifes phone (not webOS) does the exact same thing...

Can't speak for Sprint, but on phone (cdma), WiFi should still work, but YMMV...
    Yup works the same on Sprint....

Only reason WiFi and voice wouldn't work would be device specific hardware or software issue or "feature". I don't know of any device specifically that has this problem, but a weak/sketchy WiFi radio or connection could cause problems with data dropping in and out.
  10.    #10  
    Wow this place rules. I will have to study some of the initialisms you are using but I can say that the Sprint Pre (which is the only smart phone I ever owned) USED to surf when on the phone. I used to make my coworkers with iPhones mad. But it stopped. That's the weird part. Will try it with WIFi
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadia View Post
    Wow this place rules. I will have to study some of the initialisms you are using but I can say that the Sprint Pre (which is the only smart phone I ever owned) USED to surf when on the phone. I used to make my coworkers with iPhones mad. But it stopped. That's the weird part. Will try it with WIFi
    Not to putt you down... but it didn't this was discussed widely 3 years ago when the Pre first came out and a lot of people were switching carriers, or just comparing to the AT&T iPhone in general. There is always the possibility you thought you were surfing because data had been received by the phone before talking or maybe you had wifi and didn't realize it.

Technically the iPhone can do data and voice if it is on GSM, back in the day their was a lot of trash talk from the Apple folks that the "Pre couldn't do this" and initially the Pre couldn't because it was a Sprint exclusive thus CDMA and all iPhones were GSM at the time.

Hope you are enjoying your Pre and welcome to the forums, there is as much information around here as you could possibly want to learn... and if you learn it all, then the next step is learning to code
  12.    #12  
    maybe i'm crazy then.

I hope the one I have lasts. I don't want to switch. heh
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadia View Post
    maybe i'm crazy then.

I hope the one I have lasts. I don't want to switch. heh
    If you like your Pre, seriously think about going FrankenPre2.... the Pre2 is so much better than the original Sprint Pre. I haven't done the Franken process, but my wife still uses her unlocked GSM Pre2 daily.