1.    #1  
    Hope one of the webOS geniuses can help me here. I dropped my Pre Plus on the pavement the other day (as I've done many times) and this time it killed it. At a minimum, the screen no longer functions (no light, nothing on the screen so far as I can tell). It appears as if they keyboard may not function either however. The phone does though, definitely. If I have it powered up, holding the power button or putting it on the charger make the charging noise.

Stupidly, I turned developer mode off on this phone a few weeks ago as I wondered if it was affecting performance. Now I can't seem to get in via USB drive mode. I tried turning the phone on with it on the touchstone, waiting for the charging noise, waiting a bit longer, and then doing Opt+Sym+U. Nothing. However, the USB port does work for sure as I can get it into USB/Recovery mode by holding the volume-up key.

What are my options? I can get to the command line with novaterm when it's in USB mode, but I don't know enough about the recovery mode prompts to get myself anywhere. I've heard you can possibly turn on developer mode with Meta Doctor, but I don't want to lose the settings on the phone (I am most concerned about a password file that would take a long time to replace).

Does anyone have any advice? I'm a system administrator by trade so involved Linux work is not a problem. Thanks so much for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanov View Post
    Hope one of the webOS geniuses can help me here. I dropped my Pre Plus on the pavement the other day (as I've done many times) and this time it killed it. At a minimum, the screen no longer functions (no light, nothing on the screen so far as I can tell). It appears as if they keyboard may not function either however. The phone does though, definitely. If I have it powered up, holding the power button or putting it on the charger make the charging noise.

Stupidly, I turned developer mode off on this phone a few weeks ago as I wondered if it was affecting performance. Now I can't seem to get in via USB drive mode. I tried turning the phone on with it on the touchstone, waiting for the charging noise, waiting a bit longer, and then doing Opt+Sym+U. Nothing. However, the USB port does work for sure as I can get it into USB/Recovery mode by holding the volume-up key.

What are my options? I can get to the command line with novaterm when it's in USB mode, but I don't know enough about the recovery mode prompts to get myself anywhere. I've heard you can possibly turn on developer mode with Meta Doctor, but I don't want to lose the settings on the phone (I am most concerned about a password file that would take a long time to replace).

Does anyone have any advice? I'm a system administrator by trade so involved Linux work is not a problem. Thanks so much for your help.
    Did not mention OS version one can use uImage to boot and modify any on phone as long as you can get to recovery mode, without doctoring, also one can use the meta doctor to do a full backup of the phone, which would contain TAR's of all data including USB data.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Did not mention OS version one can use uImage to boot and modify any on phone as long as you can get to recovery mode, without doctoring, also one can use the meta doctor to do a full backup of the phone, which would contain TAR's of all data including USB data.
    Sorry about that, yes, of course that's an oversight. It's a Verizon Pre Plus on 1.4.5.1. Do you have any pointer to a link for uImage or info about it? I don't see anything too obvious when Googling.

As far as method two, using Meta Doctor, I've found the steps (in case anyone finds this thread down the road): [How To] Create a backup of your device when in recovery mode, including apps
    Sorry about that, yes, of course that's an oversight. It's a Verizon Pre Plus on 1.4.5.1. Do you have any pointer to a link for uImage or info about it? I don't see anything too obvious when Googling.

As far as method two, using Meta Doctor, I've found the steps (in case anyone finds this thread down the road): [How To] Create a backup of your device when in recovery mode, including apps
    The uImage is part of the webOS doctor, one can use the meta doctor app or winrar, or unzip (as a jar file is just a zip file) and extract the iMage.

FYI I have dropped my Verizon PrePlus (running webOS 2.2.4), and also have lost video, took phone apart and re attached the ribbon cable with came loose. So it might be fixable, but first back it up, before taking apart.
  5.    #5  
    The uImage is part of the webOS doctor, one can use the meta doctor app or winrar, or unzip (as a jar file is just a zip file) and extract the iMage.

FYI I have dropped my Verizon PrePlus (running webOS 2.2.4), and also have lost video, took phone apart and re attached the ribbon cable with came loose. So it might be fixable, but first back it up, before taking apart.
    Yeah, I plan to try that anyway, but that is longer term and I may need some of these files sooner. That's a great start though.

For booting off a uImage, is this more or less what I'm looking for? I guess I would want to doctor that image first to have, say, developer mode turned on?
    Yeah, I plan to try that anyway, but that is longer term and I may need some of these files sooner. That's a great start though.

For booting off a uImage, is this more or less what I'm looking for? I guess I would want to doctor that image first to have, say, developer mode turned on?
    To boot from a uImage, one would get into bootie (recovery mode), volume up when powered on, then use novacom (assume SDK is installed), to have bootie load the u Image there are tons of threads and even a wiki on how to do it, so I won't repeat it here, then use novaterm and create a file in /var/gadget/novacom_enable now you have turned on dev mode.

As you are using webOS 1.4.5.1, you can also use the devicetool.jar which also has the uImage for the Pre/PrePlus and turn on Dev Mode.

So many ways...
  7.    #7  
    To boot from a uImage, one would get into bootie (recovery mode), volume up when powered on, then use novacom (assume SDK is installed), to have bootie load the u Image there are tons of threads and even a wiki on how to do it, so I won't repeat it here, then use novaterm and create a file in /var/gadget/novacom_enable now you have turned on dev mode.

As you are using webOS 1.4.5.1, you can also use the devicetool.jar which also has the uImage for the Pre/PrePlus and turn on Dev Mode.

So many ways...
    Thanks. It's actually even easier than that! If you download meta-doctor, and the webOS doctor file for your phone, what I did was make DEVICE=preplus CARRIER=verizon memload devmode. The phone should be in recovery mode... it boots the phone, mounts your phone's memory, and then turns on developer mode. It doesn't change anything else that I can see, and now I can get in. Will probably do a full backup later, but at least I can pull critical files off. Thanks so much, John!
    Last edited by ryanov; 10/01/2012 at 02:11 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Last but not least, even better is that you can run Save/Restore scripts from the command line. They are all in /var/svc/org.webosinternals.saverestore. So for example, for my keyring, I ran the com.otisbean.keyring script with the "save" argument and had file password file back right away, for use in the emulator.

I'm really going to miss this platform.