Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Carioca_FL
  • 1 Post By khazoury
  • 1 Post By creepingmee
  1.    #1  
    I recently misplaced my iPhone (the "find my phone" app claims it's in my house, but I digress) and being a former launch-day Pre owner, I still miss the old guy (we do have a Touchpad, though) and thought this was the perfect excuse to play with one again.

I'm able to get my hands on a fairly decent looking original Sprint Pre for $30 (charger+battery), but wonder if the original Pre still holds its own. I'm hoping to find my phone in the next few days, but if not, will need to wait til December to be eligible for an upgrade. It's also a good excuse to get an extra phone, for cases like this.

In that time, all I would need is GPS navigation (turn by turn), decent audio player and web browser. On the go gaming is usually on an iPad anyway.

Will the original Pre be capable of handling the above three items? Any tips/tweaks for this model? Are the patches/apps on Preware still compatible with the original Pre?

Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Preware is still on the Pre... as long as it is running webOS v1.4.5
    If you've been gone a very long time, you may have missed out on the over-clocking kernels. Those make life with a Pre much better. I flip between the 800mhz and 1000mhz(1ghz) screen state profiles.

As far as the uses you mentioned: There are not many options for music players other than the built-in one unless you metadoctor to 2.1, which I don't recommend (personally - I got tired of the slowness compared to 1.4.5). Sprint Nav works well still, and the browser is still fine for most sites I visit.

I switched away to Android for about 9 months, and finally had enough and switched back to my Pre from 2010 (the 2009 edition was chewed up by a dog )
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys, I'm actually looking forward to using the Pre again -good times...

Is 1.4.5 the latest webOS version compatible with the original Pre?
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 09/11/2012 at 08:52 PM.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Yes, the 1.4.5 update was pushed to Sprint. If you're going to doctor, that is the one to use.
    also dont forget to check out music player remix for music play back, i dont think it has bettter music quality than the built in version, but itsfeature full and offer a great music playback experience compare to the stock version
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I recently misplaced my iPhone (the "find my phone" app claims it's in my house, but I digress) and being a former launch-day Pre owner, I still miss the old guy (we do have a Touchpad, though) and thought this was the perfect excuse to play with one again.

I'm able to get my hands on a fairly decent looking original Sprint Pre for $30 (charger+battery), but wonder if the original Pre still holds its own. I'm hoping to find my phone in the next few days, but if not, will need to wait til December to be eligible for an upgrade. It's also a good excuse to get an extra phone, for cases like this.

In that time, all I would need is GPS navigation (turn by turn), decent audio player and web browser. On the go gaming is usually on an iPad anyway.

Will the original Pre be capable of handling the above three items? Any tips/tweaks for this model? Are the patches/apps on Preware still compatible with the original Pre?

Thanks in advance!
    I'll sell you mine with 2 touchstones for $30 plus shipping via paypal. PM me.
    Truthfully, if you've been using an Iphone and expect to use a Pre-, you're going to be really disappointed. That's like driving a sporstcar, but you have a 4 cylinder car as a backup, frustrating.

However, if you get your hands on a Pre-, activate it, then swap the cellphone module into a Pre2, do the software updates & also read up on how to install Sprint Navigation, then you should be more than satisfied having this as a backup or even a main phone.

I've been rocking my Sprintified Pre2 for over a year and even bought a replacement Pre2 when I cracked the screen and had to do the software upgrade again. But for me it was very well worth it. No new phone has even caught my eye but all my peers are still amazed I've got a Palm phone still!

However, on Verizon or AT&T/T-Mobile you can use a Pre3, even better.
    laingman likes this.
    Did u look in the toilet for the lost iphone?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
    Truthfully, if you've been using an Iphone and expect to use a Pre-, you're going to be really disappointed. That's like driving a sporstcar, but you have a 4 cylinder car as a backup, frustrating.

However, if you get your hands on a Pre-, activate it, then swap the cellphone module into a Pre2, do the software updates & also read up on how to install Sprint Navigation, then you should be more than satisfied having this as a backup or even a main phone.

I've been rocking my Sprintified Pre2 for over a year and even bought a replacement Pre2 when I cracked the screen and had to do the software upgrade again. But for me it was very well worth it. No new phone has even caught my eye but all my peers are still amazed I've got a Palm phone still!

I agree with this 100%! A pre- 1.4.5 wouldnt work for me either. I use a pre3 now after I had an iphone4, and prefer the pre3 by a long shot though....
    laingman likes this.
    I recommend franken-pre'ing to a Pre+ or Pre2 if you're up to it.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    I am in Southern California and need someone that can do the Frankenpre swap and programming. Morrison0880 lives in Wisconsin and will do it for about $35. The only problem is, this is my business phone and can't have it gone for a week. If there is anyone in So. Cal. willing to help out, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by khazoury View Post

My job is full of iphone 4 and gs2 and 3, and everytime I use them I like my frankenpre2 more. And like you they are amazed that I am not insterested in those new phones. They say my phone is so small, and I reply its small so it can run circles around big ***** phones.