1.    #1  
    EDIT: After entering my serial number here, it says "Pre 2 Unlocked - North America", even though I had a Pre Plus.

I just bought a used, unlocked Pre Plus from ebay. It's a qwerty keyboard, but since it's an ebay purchase I'm not sure what country/carrier it's originally from, nor do I know what version of WebOS is installed. I assumed it would be pretty simple to get working which is why I bought it, but I've discovered that apparently that's not the case.

I've tried putting a pay-as-you-go US T-Mobile SIM card in, and I can't get past a screen asking to activate the SIM card. From what I'm reading on these forums, it looks like it I'll have to use Meta Doctor to get past activation, but then I won't be able to use it as a phone. And if I do get past activation, I guess I still have to set up a Palm account or something.

I'm actually moving to Germany in a few weeks, so I figured that since the phone is unlocked and quad-band, I could do what I would normally do when in Europe, which is buy a pay-as-you-go SIM card and plug it in without problems. But now I'm not sure what's going to happen.

If anyone could answer a few questions, that would be awesome:

- Will I have to activate it in the US if I want to use a German SIM card?
    - Will it be possible to use a pay-as-you-go, NON-DATA German SIM card with the Pre Plus? I just want to make calls and get SMS's, I don't need or want a data plan, and pay-as-you-go would be ideal.
    - If it is possible, what are the steps involved in making this happen? Will Meta Doctor be required? If so, which settings?

I'm a little disappointed that the Pre Plus seems to be so complex... reading through the forums it's a blur of Meta Doctor settings, editing some sort of database files with carrier names and numbers, and so on... I just want to know if I can use this thing as a pay-as-you-go phone in Germany or if I wasted my money

Thanks!
    Last edited by telperionn; 08/28/2012 at 07:14 PM.
    SIM activation? Is the SIM activated through another phone? Have you tried activating it through another phone?

or

Palm/HP profile set up?

Is it possible the seller did not know what they had and you got a GSM unlocked Pre 2 instead of a Pre plus?
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    SIM activation? Is the SIM activated through another phone? Have you tried activating it through another phone?

or

Palm/HP profile set up?

Is it possible the seller did not know what they had and you got a GSM unlocked Pre 2 instead of a Pre plus?
    After some more fiddling I think it definitely is a GSM unlocked Pre 2. The boot screen shows an HP logo at least.

When I turn it on it says that the "SIM card must be activated." I haven't yet gotten to the part where I have to create a Palm/HP profile. I was able to enter Developer mode and get wifi working but the phone portion doesn't work.

After reading this thread it looks like I can borrow my friend's US ATT iPhone SIM card, use it to activate the Pre 2 in the states (and then get the US app store), and then put in a pay-as-you-go German SIM card and it might work. Is that right?

I'm not too interested in messing with apps, but I do want the basic phone functions to work, and without having to buy a data plan. That's why using a pay-as-you-go card is so important.
    Sounds like you are on the right track... If you get the profile set up with a friend's SIM you should be all set. You will keep the US App catalog when you go abroad. The phone is unlocked so it should accept any SIM and provide service so long as you have the right frequencies on your comm board. (For Pre 2 = 2g @ 850/900/1800/1900 and 3g @ 850/1900 pairing and 900/2100 pairing)

WARNING: those micro SIM card + adapter combos have been reported to jam and break SIM contacts on the phone. Be careful and don't force anything.

Can't a brick and mortar T-Mo store help you activate the SIM you have?

Mobile Nations Devotee
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    The phone is unlocked so it should accept any SIM and provide service so long as you have the right frequencies on your comm board. (For Pre 2 = 2g @ 850/900/1800/1900 and 3g @ 850/1900 pairing and 900/2100 pairing)
    How do I find out what kind of comm board I have? I assumed that all Pre 2's are quad-band since they're modern smartphones, but is that not the case?

I'll chat with my friend today and hopefully I can update this thread during the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by telperionn View Post
    How do I find out what kind of comm board I have? I assumed that all Pre 2's are quad-band since they're modern smartphones, but is that not the case?

I'll chat with my friend today and hopefully I can update this thread during the weekend.
    Once you get in to the phone being functional open the App Launcher > Device Information > More Info...

The model will be listed under the Hardware tab. P102UNA is GSM Unlocked Pre 2 for North America.

If it is another model check Internals webOS Doctor Versions for what number corresponds to which model.

Search for your device here: GSMArena.com - GSM phone reviews, news, opinions, votes, manuals and more... for a full list of capabilities.

Here is a table of which frequencies most carriers around the world operate on. Mobile Network Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mobile Nations Devotee
  7.    #7  
    Just a follow up:

I've arrived in Germany and things seem to have worked out with the Pre 2.

In America I bought a TMobile sim card with a 24-hour data pass (total ~$12). Using this I set up the webos account and activated the device. I wanted to borrow a friend's iPhone sim card but it turns out those are micro-sim cards that won't fit into the Pre, so I had to buy one to use temporarily.

On arriving to Germany I put in a Congstar sim card and it seems to be working fine. I disabled data use through the call app preferences window and can still use voice. I also had to change the region settings in the system tab to recognize German numbers (otherwise every time I tried to call a German number it thought it was an int'l call).

Thanks everyone!