1.    #1  
    A few days ago I dropped my Pre which I have been using since 2009. All looked fine except the touch screen would not function. Without the soft buttons and gestures itís very difficult to navigate or actually use the thing. I tried a power reset, working the slider, you name it, no workie... No problem, several months ago a friend gave me his old pre which had been in a draw after he upgraded to a different phone. So using the keyboard on the old phone I was able to find my way to the backup app and confirm it had backed everything up the night before. I made the swap with Sprint and after some work it started the restore process. All looked good. The new Pre did upgrade to webOS 1.4.5. All done and everything is back or so it seemed. I probably have a 1000 contacts in my phone. A portion of those were restored which gave me a feeling security until I found the majority were not.

After reading several threads on this forum I realize I should have had synced to a gmail account or some other backup solution. I simply should not have relied on Palm Profile... Spilt milk at this point. My old phone still has the contacts so they are not completely lost; however, after reading so many solutions to the problem Iím not sure what the best course of action is for a functioning phone without being able to use the touch screen.

Some of the things I have tried:

1) I can get to the jump drive with pressing (orange), (Sym), U
    2) I tried exporting to a VCF file by dialing ##66623# but I canít find a key sequence to tap the soft ďCelleBrite ExportĒ button. I know this will give me a copy of my contacts but not sure I can import them to my new phone. Still better than nothing.
    3) After reading some threads, I believe DrewPre said the contacts are part of PalmDatabase.db3. How can I access this file off the old Pre and copy to the new?
    4) I considered re-activating the old phone to restore the Palm Profile and try adding a gmail account. Then re-activate the new phone and let it suck down from Gmail. Iím reluctant to try this; I donít want the old phone to be over written by a now empty (mostly) Palm Profile.
    5) Can the touch screen be fixed? I thought about disassembling hoping the impact might have knocked a ribbon cable loose. I chickened out because that phone does still have my contacts.
    6) A SIM card would be nice!

Now I know why they put the shiny mirror on the back of the slider. After you break your phone Its a signal mirror!

Sorry this is longÖ any help? . I have read several threads and appreciate all the effort this group provides. Just wish I did *before* I dropped my phone!
    for 3)

connect the old phone to WOSQI... Can you get it in Dev Mode?

Use WOSQI to receive the PalmDatabase.db3 file to your computer...

Use WOSQI to send the file to your new phone.

Maybe?
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    for 3)

connect the old phone to WOSQI... Can you get it in Dev Mode?

Use WOSQI to receive the PalmDatabase.db3 file to your computer...

Use WOSQI to send the file to your new phone.

Maybe?
    I'm a step closer! I haven't messed with this before but lots of info here that makes it easy. I installed WOQSI and have the pre connected and in dev mode. I can communicate with the phone with the WOQSI application!

This looks like ways to install homebrew apps but how do I receive the palmdatabase.db3 file?

EDITED... MY BAD! I was looking at the APP window. Didn't see the quick install window hiding behind it.
    Last edited by JasonZ in MO; 08/02/2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: answered my own question
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonZ in MO View Post
    I'm a step closer! I haven't messed with this before but lots of info here that makes it easy. I installed WOQSI and have the pre connected and in dev mode. I can communicate with the phone with the WOQSI application!

This looks like ways to install homebrew apps but how do I receive the palmdatabase.db3 file?

EDITED... MY BAD! I was looking at the APP window. Didn't see the quick install window hiding behind it.
    That worked! ALL MY CONTACTS ARE BACK!

I maybe having other issues now... My mail reverted back to what it was 5 days ago and txt messaging is not working right. I have been letting it get back into sync.

Thank you so much for your help!

Is there a slick way to delete all txt msgs?
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonZ in MO View Post
    That worked! ALL MY CONTACTS ARE BACK!

I maybe having other issues now... My mail reverted back to what it was 5 days ago and txt messaging is not working right. I have been letting it get back into sync.

Thank you so much for your help!

Is there a slick way to delete all txt msgs?
    So it reverted to the last use on the old phone five days ago? (Old Palmdatabase.db3?) That makes sense.

Batch deletions of text is something else all together. Search around here I know they are threads, but not what successful solutions. I don't let my SMS build up too much since I don't use it a whole lot.

You say SMS text isn't working? or MMS Pic mail?

Double check the settings in your dialer pad preferences would be the first thing...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  6.    #6  
    RumoredNow,

Things got better this afternoon. The problem with SMS msg's is if I responded to one of my many existing msgs threads it would put my new message and the response from the recipient at the top of the thread. However, the bottom where it dumps you when originally opening the thread. The result is not seeing what I sent or received without scrolling up through the thread.

No big deal, I just manually deleted all the SMS msgs. I've just been to lazy to keep them all cleaned up.

Another anomaly is my exchange mail stopped downloading any new mail after 3:00. There is mail out there but the app just isn't pulling it down. The email counter has the rotating arrows like normal but does nothing. Will delete and re-add the account if it’s not cleared up by tomorrow. The mail is still on the server and in my laptop outlook.

Speaking of outlook... in my contacts preferences there is now an "Outlook" account and a "WHERE (uLocate)" I have never seen these before and don’t know how to delete them. Have they always been there? I do have he WHERE app loaded so that one might make some sense.

Sorry for all the questions but I am learning a lot! I have a TouchPad too and plan to do a lot more learning and experimenting after this...