Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By inulink9999
  • 1 Post By jccjmml7
  • 1 Post By Derek Kessler
  1.    #1  
    I live in San Antonio where sprint has recently rolled out their 4g LTE network. I'm using a stock original pre and some how I'm getting LTE data speeds. I've gone to mobile speed test several times and im averaging about 7Mbps but ive gotten as high as 11 Mbps (pic attached) Can anyone living in a Sprint LTE enabled city confirm this as well?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I don't live in one of those cities, but it would be great if that could work for everyone when it gets rolled out. Enjoy
    Since 3G's maximum data rate is many times slower than that and the Sprint Pre doesn't have 4G LTE hardware, I'm either calling this bunk or a malfunction in how the speed test is interacting with the Pre browser. Whatever it is, I can guarantee you're not really pulling down 4G LTE speeds like the screenshot suggests.
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    Since 3G's maximum data rate is many times slower than that and the Sprint Pre doesn't have 4G LTE hardware, I'm either calling this bunk or a malfunction in how the speed test is interacting with the Pre browser. Whatever it is, I can guarantee you're not really pulling down 4G LTE speeds like the screenshot suggests.
    Maybe he did the speed test because he was getting speed
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    Is the EVDO Rev A limitation phone side or network side?

What is EVDO? What is 3G? What is 4G?

Quote: "EVDO Rev A provides speeds of 600Kbps-1,400Kbps Download (bursts to 3.1Mbps), 500Kbps-800Kbps Upload (bursts to 1.8Mbps) - comparable to home DSL service."
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    You are averaging 3x the posted LTE speed??.....don't see how that is remotely possible. Unless you ran the mobilespeedtest.com's hidden ".1kb" test.
    dignitary likes this.
    Although I don't see the Wifi icon there, perhaps it was somehow running the test via wifi? 11mbps is about as fast as I can speed test on a Pre/Pre2 with WiFi.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Notice in the pic it says clearly at the bottom, "Your ISP is Sprint."

I wondered about WiFi when I first saw this post too. But I looked hard at the pic to see what I could see...

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Something ain't right here. I'm not going to cry foul or anything, but that's faster than my Pre3 can manage over WiFi (and that's hooked up to a 30mpbs cable connection), certainly significantly faster than an original Pre and its EvDO Rev A radio could ever hope to attain. Were you able to replicate the results?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    dignitary likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Ive run speed tests before as ive had this phone for 3 years. No wifi, just sprint Evdo Network. and yes i am able to replicate it multiple times. For your convenience I will run 1 MB, 2MB and 3MB tests and upload screen caps as attachments
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Something ain't right here. I'm not going to cry foul or anything, but that's faster than my Pre3 can manage over WiFi (and that's hooked up to a 30mpbs cable connection), certainly significantly faster than an original Pre and its EvDO Rev A radio could ever hope to attain. Were you able to replicate the results?
    Yes. attached are 1Mb, 2MB and 3Mb test results.
    Running a stock 3 year old pre Minus. IM not trying to fake anything, im just as shocked as everyone else. IM pretty sure it isnt a miscalculation either because i have noticed a significant change in my download speed and how fast my battery drains. what i find really strange is that my wifes 1st gen EVO is not seeing the same benefits.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I suppose you could tether the phone (usb) and run a speed test from your computer's browser to see if you get conflicting information.
    Thanks for the screencaps, inulink9999.

I'm finding this fascinating.

Sleuths please note: Comparing the original pic + the next three... In the original pic + the last one in the second batch he shows 3 bars and 2 bars respectively and hit 11,000 kbs. In the first two pics of the second series at 0 bars he hit 6,700 kbs and 7,200 kbs.

I'm sure I sum it up for many when I ask, "WTH?"

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Somethings messing up with the speed test. No way those speeds are legit.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Sprint uses existing network to run LTE. The tests need to be re run with a LTE device ( HTC EVO LTE or Galaxy S III) then run it using Pre.
  16.    #16  
    So i can verify that it is not the site, does anyone know another reliable data speed testing site that will work on palms browser. i tried to find some during my break at work but those all required flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by inulink9999 View Post
    So i can verify that it is not the site, does anyone know another reliable data speed testing site that will work on palms browser. i tried to find some during my break at work but those all required flash.
    Try speedtest.net

It works best with GPS on and Location Services set to use Google Services and GPS. There is a bit of pinch and zoom involved for logging in. Maybe set up an account on a computer and then use the Pre to log on.... Go to Settings and Refine Location before testing to get a good read...

Recently with a Veer lit up H+ and 3 bars of signal on Straight Talk I logged 2.69mbs for a download speed so that seems like a valid test with a webOS device...
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 07/25/2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: corrected speed report

Mobile Nations Devotee
    since sprint is in process of bringing LTE online, maybe he transmitted something as fast as LTE on one of the bands our phone receives. but that doesn't mean that it will be able to receive and interpret LTE data with an EVDO modem. i'm pretty sure OUR PHONE'S MODEM is limited to EVDO Rev. A, and you'd need an LTE modem in the phone to receive it. BUT I'M NOT SURE OF THAT. ANYONE?

from what i read in the wikipedia article on LTE, i don't think our phones' modem can read the data stream.
    if they're both on PCS, then it may only be a speed ping and not readable packet transfer that would be any good to us.

but they're all doing changes of what broadcasts on what frequency. t-mo will use 1900 for hspa+ when they bring on LTE to their 1700, and VZN is bailing on CDMA so all kinds of change. hopefully good for the consumer!
    Last edited by TJs4thPre; 07/25/2012 at 04:56 PM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Try speedtest.net

It works best with GPS on and Location Services set to use Google Services and GPS. There is a bit of pinch and zoom involved for logging in. Maybe set up an account on a computer and then use the Pre to log on.... Go to Settings and Refine Location before testing to get a good read...

Recently with a Veer lit up H+ and 3 bars of signal on Straight Talk I logged 2.69mbs for a download speed so that seems like a valid test with a webOS device...
    no go. cant use it without flash. any other suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by inulink9999 View Post
    no go. cant use it without flash. any other suggestions?
    Why not meta doctor to webOS 2.1.0 then add flash?