Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By steven_farkas
  • 1 Post By Herrie
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    hey guys i have a Pre- thats starting to show its age a bit more and more lately, battery life isnt great (on its third official battery) sliding actually comes of the rails sometimes and here and there, there are some physical wear and tear defects.

the question im asking you guys is, my mate is offering me his veer, is it worth the switch, in every aspect (apart from screen res which it makes up for in pixel density) the veer is better than the Pre- the only thing is im worried about that screen size, is it easy to get used to, is it just too small?

-Dom
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/09/2012 at 07:51 AM.
    I would say make the switch...

I'm a bit older and use "cheaters" (1.25x magnification reading glasses)...

I use them with my Veer, but heck, I have to use them with my Pre 2 as well so I guess it's all relative. So long as you aren't using it for a document editor I think it would be a good move.

The switch should be easy enough if you want to swap your profile over... If you have reservations, just create a new profile while you test the Veer or if you don't have a bunch of paid Apps you want to migrate over.

I find the battery lasts surprisingly well on Veer and the call quality is fantastic. They are great little phones, IMHO.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 07/07/2012 at 10:45 PM.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I'm not in exactly the same situation as I've never had a Veer. However, I went from a Pre- to a Pixi to a Pre 3, so I'm familiar with both the smaller screen and with webOS 2.x.
    Without hesitation I would say take the deal.
    the Veer rocks !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile-dom View Post
    hey guys i have a Pre- thats starting to show its age a bit more and more lately, battery life isnt great (on its third official battery) sliding actually comes of the rails sometimes and here and there, there are some physical wear and tear defects.

the question im asking you guys is, my mate is offering me his veer, is it worth the switch, in every aspect (apart from screen res which it makes up for in pixel density) the veer is better than the Pre- the only thing is im worried about that screen size, is it easy to get used to, is it just too small?

-Dom
    Well, in my modest opinion on making the switch to a veer it might all depend of your usage and what you will expect to get out of your phone. For me, the HP veer is way too small of a phone while still capable(in processing speed) is WAY tiny is a bit frustrating at best when browsing on your phone specially web-browsing. Not only you got to deal with the size of the screen, but also the magnet-mini USB adapter which tons of people say its pain to deal with it. Also HP made some compromises on not including a headphone jack connector into the phone, causing you to deal with another small plug-in adapter which some of my friends who owns one of those Veer phones had lost a couple of them.The screen resolution is no problem for me, I owned a pixi and it wasn't such a big deal for me specially with 320X400 res.

You will be comprising too much when acquiring a Veer, look around the internet because you could find a better quality price for a Palm Pre 2.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    I would say it depends on your usage - I love my veer and use it as my daily driver, but I don't browse the web on the go. If I need to do anything online, i'll get my touchpad out and tether it to the veer. The headphone adapter thing is slightly irritating, but its a compromise I'm willing to make to have such a small phone.

in summary, if mobile web browsing is your thing, get a pre3. If you don't (and want a slick little phone that turns heads), then get a veer
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Vistaus likes this.
    The Veer is a great phone, the form factor is just incredible People still make comments all the time the phone is so small and cute.

I use it for the occasional surfing and forums like this with Forums app is very do able.

With regards to headphone connector: you can always opt for a bluetooth headset instead!

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    RumoredNow likes this.
    The screen is decent, but don't expect to load-up some fancy 3D games. Those were made for the Pre's resolution in mind. Also, the color depth is a bit lower (16 bit, whereas the Pre has 24-bit color), but it's probably not noticeable.

The lack of a headphone jack (has a dongle) is a big one, but I personally don't use my Pre to listen to music. (I have an iPod for that)

The slider and keyboard are solid.

Swapping batteries is not something easily done, and they're not easily available AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

Differences: (besids specs)

Lanyard loop
    No flash
    hp branding
    that mag-safe like connector

For heavy web browsing, this isn't it. My Pre 2 is barely sufficient for some webpages. (reading landscape)
    So if you read desktop sites with a veer, expect to scroll a lot in all directions.

Personally, in your situation, I would take the jump.
    It's also worth noting that Pre 2's are a viable option as well.
    A Panda Veer is definitely a conversation piece.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee