Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. SSherris's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
       #1  
    I just got a pop-up on my Verizon Palm Pre Plus (running 1.4.5.1) saying: "Palm webOS 1.4.5.1 Update available"

    What?? I'm currently running that version. Anyone else get this message? I'm afraid to leave the network on in case it breaks my phone somehow.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by SSherris View Post
    I just got a pop-up on my Verizon Palm Pre Plus (running 1.4.5.1) saying: "Palm webOS 1.4.5.1 Update available"

    What?? I'm currently running that version. Anyone else get this message? I'm afraid to leave the network on in case it breaks my phone somehow.
    Backup your PrPrPr&#$275$; $Plus$ $and$ $go$ $for$ $it$. $If$ $it$ $screws$ $it$ $up$ $doctor$ $it$ $and$ $restore$ $from$ $backup$. $also$ $tell$ $us$ $what$ $happens$
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  3. #3  
    I got the equivalent message on my sprint pre- a few months ago. "Update 1.4.5 is available." I went for it and everything was fine. I would still back up if I were you.
    "The best way to get something done is to begin" ~ Author Unknown
  4. #4  
    I pulled my Pre Plus out of mothballs and mine too is saying this. I have no idea why but I have used alternate kernels at times. At this time I am back on the recovery kernel so I wouldn't have expected the version to be out of sync but who knows. I'm running Save/Restore and planning to backup and then we'll see what's what.
  5. #5  
    Update applied - no issues so far. Looks the same - I'll report back if there are any problems. My phone is no longer on a carrier it's got Wifi only but I'll test a few things.
  6. #6  
    This morning I got a pop-up notice on my Verizon Palm Pixi Plus that there was an update available to Palm webOS 1.4.5.1. I double-checked, and yes, I was already running that version. I tried to ignore the pop-up, thinking there was some mistake, but there was always the Updates app gift box icon at the bottom of my screen that wouldn't go away. I gave in and installed the update (after running the Backup).

    The update did not take the entire 15 minutes projected, probably only 2 or 3 minutes. Everything looked fine. Later in the day when I went to use the terrible Bing Maps app, I noticed that it said Google Maps (like before I ran Palm webOS 1.4.5.1). I was excited at first, since I thought maybe Google Maps was back, but no, it just brought me to that page that says click to go to the app store to download Bing Maps. I did that. However, the weird thing is that even after installing Bing Maps, the app icon is the Google Maps icon and it says Google Maps. It opens Bing Maps, though. Also, once Bing Maps is open, the header says Google Maps, but when I touch that, it drops down the menu for Microsoft Terms of Use, Bing Maps Terms of Use, and Help

    I restarted my phone to see if that would fix the labeling problem of showing Google Maps app, but launching Bing Maps app. Instead of fixing that problem, it put me back at square one with the Google Maps app and had me re-download the Bing Maps app. Did that, but same thing as earlier... shows Google Maps icon, but launches Bing Maps. Is this going to go on indefinitely? Will I have to re-download Bing Maps every time I need to use a map app? How do I go back to yesterday's settings before I reinstalled this update?
    Last edited by copuf; 08/21/2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: correction
  7. #7  
    There are several ways to fix, remove the usr/palm/com.palm.app.maps directory, rename it, use a patch to fix it, etc... The main issue is the checksum on the phone will not equal the checksum on their (HP/palm) servers next cycle and you will be doing this again....

    There is no easy fix, as far as the checksums do not match..
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    There are several ways to fix, remove the usr/palm/com.palm.app.maps directory, rename it, use a patch to fix it, etc... The main issue is the checksum on the phone will not equal the checksum on their (HP/palm) servers next cycle and you will be doing this again....

    There is no easy fix, as far as the checksums do not match..
    Thanks for your quick reply. I've only been using this webOS phone for a couple of months, so I don't know very much about it. I don't have any homebrews or patches on it. I'm an old Palm OS user. I've had a Palm phone since 2001 and resisted moving to webOS until I was forced to this summer when my old Palm Centro died. That was 11 years with the old OS and it's been quite an adjustment for me with webOS.

    Can you explain how I would "remove the usr/palm/com.palm.app.maps directory, rename it, use a patch to fix it"? And what are "checksums"? Even though I used the Backup app before I installed the update, I don't see any way to restore what I backed up (or if that would even help). I know this is an old phone to most people, but it's new to me. Every since I got it I've been reading these forums for tips, but this problem has me confused. Thanks for your patience and help!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by copuf View Post
    Thanks for your quick reply. I've only been using this webOS phone for a couple of months, so I don't know very much about it. I don't have any homebrews or patches on it. I'm an old Palm OS user. I've had a Palm phone since 2001 and resisted moving to webOS until I was forced to this summer when my old Palm Centro died. That was 11 years with the old OS and it's been quite an adjustment for me with webOS.

    Can you explain how I would "remove the usr/palm/com.palm.app.maps directory, rename it, use a patch to fix it"? And what are "checksums"? Even though I used the Backup app before I installed the update, I don't see any way to restore what I backed up (or if that would even help). I know this is an old phone to most people, but it's new to me. Every since I got it I've been reading these forums for tips, but this problem has me confused. Thanks for your patience and help!
    Well in homebrew app catalog (preware/webOS Quick Installer) is a app called internalz pro (which once in master mode) allows one to modify the directory structure.

    Again there are many ways to do this, most require Dev Mode to be turned on, search for devicetool.jar at HP/Palm's web site to turn on Dev Mode, once that is done follow the above, or use a command line remote shell (novaterm). This forum has several threads and posts on how to fix this problem.

    FYI a checksum is how webOS validates the OS structure is in tacked, some times they use md5 hashes, some time they use other methods, I have not figure out what the magic checksum is yet, but on my device it used to happen every month, as I have seemed to fix it as it has not updated me now for four months now.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 08/22/2012 at 07:29 AM.
  10. #10  
    I was wondering about this, looks like I got all excited for nothing though. Only thing that changed was the maps app. It says Google (ewww) but I switched back to Bing but it still says Google. Oh well....
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by SSherris View Post
    I just got a pop-up on my Verizon Palm Pre Plus (running 1.4.5.1) saying: "Palm webOS 1.4.5.1 Update available"

    What?? I'm currently running that version. Anyone else get this message? I'm afraid to leave the network on in case it breaks my phone somehow.
    Don't update it...i had to doctor the phone after this update. it will screw up ur bing maps as well
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums

Posting Permissions