Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By k4ever
  • 2 Post By New Breed
  • 1 Post By laingman
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By mmgquiet
  • 1 Post By bimmer007
  1.    #1  
    Well I never thought I would say this but I'm back on my Pre- and I am in love again. Just a quick back story for those who have not read my post on other threads:

My Pre was dying. It was over heating a lot, I dropped it one too many times so there were small chunks of plastic missing from the sides of it, the USB door fell off, the speaker started getting stuck in headset mode, and I took the screen protector off of it while I was deployed to a sandy environment so the screen had small hairline sratches in it. To make matters worse, Sprint stopped supporting fixing the hardware on it.

I loved the phone and webOS so I was holding out until Sprint would offer another webOS phone. We all know that didn't happen. After HP announced that they were killing webOS devices altogether, I saw the wrting on the wall. I read that someone had gotten webOS to boot up on an HTC EVO 3D, so I upgraded to that in hopes that webOS might get ported to it some day. I put my Pre in my desk draw.

A couple of weeks ago, I read about the 2.1.0 meta docter update to the Pre, how easy it was to install, and how stable it was. On a whim I decided to temporarily re-activate my Pre and try it out for a few days. I liked it so much that I decided to keep it around longer.

My wife saw that I was back on the Pre and decided she had had enough of her Blackberry Style. She asked me to reactivate her Pre. Problem was she had dropped her Pre (more like accidently threw it) and it was in two pieces. Sprint wouldn't offer her another one so she switched to the Blackberry. I was able to put her phone back together, but the fall had damaged the radios in the phone. She could recieve phone calls, but no data, so the phone would not fully activate. She was bummed out and I found out that she really missed the Pre.

Then something wonderful happened! My wife was talking to one of her coworkers about how I had went back to the Pre and how her Pre was completely busted. Her coworker was a Sprint customer also. He and his wife had Pres and had switched to EVOs. However, they kept the Pres. He brought them in the next day and gave them to her! They were both in pristine condition!

I can't even imagine what was going through the heads of the Sprint customer service agents as I called that day to deactivate my old Pre, activate tmy "new" Pre, then deactivate my wife's Blackberry Style, then activate her "new" Pre. They must have been scratching their heads a lot on that.

I'm running the AV-8 kernel overclocked to 800Mhz (screenstate 500/800), with some logging patches, Buttah, a few browser tweaks, and 32MB compcache. I am in heaven! The phone occasionally stutters when some notifications pop up, but other than that it is running great (and for some reason Picsel Smart Office works better on the Pre then on the TouchPad).

I like it so much more than the EVO 3D if just for email alone. The voice dialing is better on the Pre (weird for me to say). Having a real keyboard again is a God send. I can type 10x faster on it than I could with any of the virtual keyboards on the EVO 3D. Auto correct is so much better. The silent switch was sorely missed. The Pre is easier to hold and handle than the EVO 3D. Plus I really missed the gesture area. How did I live without that? I even found two Touchstones on Amazon for under $4 a piece with free shipping! They used to be $40 a piece.

I especially like the fact that now I don't have to worry about the phone accidently dialing someone in my pocket or the screen shattering if I drop it (set me back $100, I'm still sore over that!) or having to deal with accidently touching one of those d@mn capacitive shortcut buttons on the bottom of the screen which seem to have a life of their own. Plus webOS is just way easier to use on a phone (and a tablet also) than Android is.

It hasn't all been roses. I already mentioned the occasional stuttering. The Pre was randomly locking up on me at least twice a day. Funny thing was that my wife's wasn't. She only had one lock up in over a week. I thought it was the kernel I was using. Turns out that I needed to just re-doctor it and activate it in a good cellular reception area. It gets unstable if your Palm profile is not set up right the first time. The battery was dying quickly. Almost as quickly as the power hunger EVO 3D was. After recalibrating it with Dr. Battery, I discovered that my battery had less than 70% remaining health at a 100% charge. Ouch! My wife was having the same issue. I didn't run Dr. Battery on her's but I'm pretty sure her battery is going bad also. So I ordered two new 1350mAh batteries from the WebOSnation store. Should be here tomorrow. I also order a 2200mAh battery/holster from Amazon for $23. It is supposed to trickle charge the battery on demand. It cost about $5 more than a leather carry pouch and it has a battery so I'm not complaining.

Unless some super app or function comes out for Android, I won't be going back any time soon. Even though I may speak ill of Android every now and then here, it is only because I feel usability on it should be way better by now. I've been using it since before 1.0 was released (I installed one of the earlier builds on my ATT Tilt right next to Windows Mobile). I have over 30 purchased apps in Android and about another 50 free ones. I also have spent countless hours tweaking it. However, I feel that besides the early hardware issues with the Pre and the lack of some functions and apps, Palm got useability right on it. WebOS is a breeze to use and I'm glad I got my little mobile sidekick back.
    Last edited by k4ever; 07/01/2012 at 11:30 PM.
    I switched back from my 3D about two months ago. I never really wanted to switch to Andoid, I just let app envy get the best of me, and the usb crack had started spreading onto the screen. I got used to it, and some things (Youtube) do work better on it, but I always had my Pre with me anyway because my passwords are still in Keyring. I finally decided I'd had enough and re-activated my Pre. I think it's about time I finally build a Franken-Pre Plus or -2.. I think I'll at least give 2.1 another try with the new kernels that have come out since last time.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I switched back from my 3D about two months ago. I never really wanted to switch to Andoid, I just let app envy get the best of me, and the usb crack had started spreading onto the screen. I got used to it, and some things (Youtube) do work better on it, but I always had my Pre with me anyway because my passwords are still in Keyring. I finally decided I'd had enough and re-activated my Pre. I think it's about time I finally build a Franken-Pre Plus or -2.. I think I'll at least give 2.1 another try with the new kernels that have come out since last time.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yeah, I got over the big screen and apps in about a week, the 3D function in about 1 hour (hurts the eyes). I literally stopped using email because the email apps on Android are so bad and the poor useability (virtual keyboard, autocorrect, app switching) made them seem worse. I'm a big app fan, but I'm a bigger useability fan. I got a smartphone for heavy email use, not to play with some stupid mustache app or to switch out homescreens every other week. No matter how cool that may be.

If you try 2.1.0, make sure you activate it in a good coverage area. If you get "Dr. Skipped First Use" instead of your Palm profile, even if your apps are downloading fine, don't waste your time just re-doctor it and try again. Also, you will get stability issues if you select less than 500Mhz with any of the overclocked kernels (especially Uber).
  4.    #4  
    Grabber5.0, BTW there is a good Youtube app for the Pre called Youtube Mini. It cost about $2, but it is well worth it. Not as good as Youtube on Android, but Google has an unfair advantage in that department (since they own Youtube).
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Ahh, the delightfully sweet goodness of WebOS. I know what you mean, I've pulled my Pre3 back out of the box and have been using 'My Precious' full time again for the past few weeks.

It 'just works' in a way that draws me back, like a moth to a flame, each time I try to put it aside...
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    Great post! Thanks for sharing your story with us, k4ever.
    A few months ago I went to the sprint store to activate my second pre (only had two since launch day!) and when I told the sprint guy I was going to activate my palm pre, he asked "Why?". I don't guess he didn't know about all of the amazing things webOS has to offer!
    "The best way to get something done is to begin" ~ Author Unknown
    I have two - one was chewed up by the dog so the screen is dead, but I kept it for the comm board. The other I am currently using. I hope to build a couple of Franken-Pre's, but have so far been satisfied enough not to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Grabber5.0, BTW there is a good Youtube app for the Pre called Youtube Mini. It cost about $2, but it is well worth it. Not as good as Youtube on Android, but Google has an unfair advantage in that department (since they own Youtube).
    Yeah.. I know about that app. I probably should buy it. For my account I just sign in to the mobile page. I was referring to playback.. it is much better on the EVO. I can live with that generally, it's just aggravating when a video won't play on the Pre.
    Glad to see some folks coming back!!!

For those of you still sticking with Sprint, I recommend the FrankenPre2. My wife loves her Pre2 and I loved mine until I broke down and bought the Pre3. If I was willing to part with any of my devices I would sell my Pre2, but now it's my backup device... off contract in 11 months, unless ATT gets something amazing, we are gonna switch over to straight talk. and cut another chunk off our monthly bill.

Regardless though, seriously happy to see folks coming back, I think this is the 3rd person I know of in the last few days that came back to a webOS phone.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    It's good to see that I'm not the only one!!

After a year using Android (Nexus S 4G), I went ahead and purchased a Pre 2 off of eBay today! I'll be moving to Straight Talk after almost 10 years on Sprint.

I couldn't resist anymore. I needed to get back on webos. I figured I'd cut my phone bill in half and finally get to use a Pre 2. I have an android tablet so I won't miss out on much.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's new with webos and what's changed in the last year!
    I am surprised to see how many folks still use original pre or pre plus.

Anyways if you are an heavy youtube user you should be using the youtube link that 2.2.4 uses. It is far better than the site that youtube mini uses or the default mobile youtube which is the same

Here its is: http://m.youtube.com/?use_blazer=1&tsp=1#/home

I have somebody to thank for the link after going back to 2.1 but can't recall right now
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by New Breed View Post
    It's good to see that I'm not the only one!!

After a year using Android (Nexus S 4G), I went ahead and purchased a Pre 2 off of eBay today! I'll be moving to Straight Talk after almost 10 years on Sprint.

I couldn't resist anymore. I needed to get back on webos. I figured I'd cut my phone bill in half and finally get to use a Pre 2. I have an android tablet so I won't miss out on much.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's new with webos and what's changed in the last year!
    Welcome back and good luck...

I started with webOS about three months ago by putting a GSM Unlocked Pre 2 on ST. Love it.

http://forums.webosnation.com/gsm-no...ight-talk.html

Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Grabber, when you get a chance I sent you a PM. thanks.

I also switched back to a Pre- in perfect condition and gave my Evo 3d to my brother. I had "app envy" for a while but the more I used Android, the more I missed WebOS.
    Last edited by mmgquiet; 07/03/2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Added info
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    This is awesome - I just returned my Evo 3D under the best buy "buy-back program" within 1 year and got myself $280 credit for a phone I originally paid $199 + $30 program cost. Instead of buying another Evo LTE or the Galaxy S2, I opted to hang on to the gift card they gave me and dust the cobwebs of the good ole launch day Palm Pre I once used to love.

Sprint LTE in Chicago is scheduled for Sept rollout and the 3G is horrendous, so I figured why jump onto a device I really can't take full advantage of quite yet. Maybe something better with quad-core (even though it's probably overkill), LTE AND 2GB of ram will come up and I'll bite, only time will tell.

But I quickly forgot how much I used to love WebOS and thought it was really going to blow everything and anything out of the water. Simple things like swiping up the app to close it out, having all the "live" apps/cards open at once, and probably the biggest single most item I missed - yep, the physical keyboard....

Anyways, just wanted to share my experience coming back along with some of you other former Evo 3D owners. Now time to start reading what I've missed this past year and get myself flashin'!!