Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    The Palm Pre Plus will be my first smartphone that I use as a phone and I heard that it gets free tethering. Is that still true?
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Download Preware, install freeTether. It's that simple. It will use data on your phone, but if that's all you want to accomplish.... a wifi hotspot, then that's all you have to do.

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Download Preware, install freeTether. It's that simple. It will use data on your phone, but if that's all you want to accomplish.... a wifi hotspot, then that's all you have to do.

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    Sorry but that doesn't really help. Verizon started giving away 2GB of free mobile tethering.
    It looks like they've been doing that since 2010, not sure if it's still active or not. Might want to ask Verizon, or look on your phone for an app called Mobile Hotspot.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Doesn't the new Verizon everything plan have you buy an amount of data, and it won't matter how you use it (mobile hotspot, streaming music, surfing internet, yada yada yada)?

I'm sort of guesing here, I've only looked a little bit at their new plans (unlimited texts and minutes too).
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Sorry but that doesn't really help. Verizon started giving away 2GB of free mobile tethering.
    To answer your question about the free tethering on Verizon, it still depends in how current changes in Verizon will take place during next week on that network. Starting on June 28th, some changes will take into effect that change how people consume online data on that network...rumors say that Verizon will only offer shared data family plans. What one of the employees told me about the WebOS phones was that the tethering offering is always be kept on those phones looks like it was a pact made long time ago and it still sticks well with Verizon/Palm. Even though the company Palm doesn't exist anymore, looks like Verizon kept their promise of the tethering with the WebOS devices

I ask around tons of questions to Verizon online representatives as well on in-stores, I just completed year with the Verizon company. They grandfathered me the abilities to keep my current plan and the free tethering with my Palm WebOS phone despite of the fact that I upgraded to a newer phone. On my plan, I still see that I have 5GB of mobile hotspot feature on my phone even though as I made the transition to a newer device(Palm Pre 2).
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    fxspec06 likes this.
  7.    #7  
    ok. Thanks
    They grandfathered me the abilities to keep my current plan and the free tethering with my Palm WebOS phone despite of the fact that I upgraded to a newer phone. On my plan, I still see that I have 5GB of mobile hotspot feature on my phone even though as I made the transition to a newer device(Palm Pre 2)

How did that process work? I'm on Verizon using a Pre+ with the 5 gig free mobile hotspot, and I bought a Pre 2 that i haven't activated yet, because I don't want to lose the hotspot. How did you activate?
  9.    #9  
    I just got off the phone with verizon and they told me that info about free tethering hasn't been released yet
    The CS rep may not really understand your question though, as they haven't sold a Pre Plus in a long time. If you call them asking about free tethering, they assume you are asking about the new data plans that will apply to all phones, not a special free tethering agreement for a specific phone they barely remember. When I was considering switching from my Pre Plus to a Pre 2 on Verizon, I had to really press them for an answer on whether I'd lose my free Mobile Hot Spot or not... the answer was yes, which made it economically unviable.

The way I understand it from multiple sources is that the feature "Mobile Hot Spot for Pre Plus" has always been free and will always be free. Note that is not "Mobile Hot Spot for any webOS device" or "Mobile Hot Spot for webOS 1.4.5"; it doesn't apply to Pre 2 or Pre 3, nor does it go away if you meta-doctor your Pre Plus to webOS 2.x. It's linked to the phone model itself.

To my knowledge as of today if you activate a Pre Plus on Verizon, you will still get the free mobile hot spot.

As for myself, I got my hands on an unlocked AT&T Pre3, and left Verizon back in October.
    I have a Pre Plus, and I have free "mobile hotspot" from Verizon ("3G Mobile Hotspot $0.00/mo"). I also have "my tether" which I paid for (excuse me, "donated for") back when I had a Pre-. FWIW, my speeds are faster with the official verizon "mobile hotspot" than with "my tether". I keep the "my tether" on the phone just in case I want to do extended tethering, as it allows usb tethering, which saves a ton of power, and allows the phone to run cooler...
    Your best option is just to call Verizon. When you do, just go straight to Techical Support (I think it's option 3). The average cs rep is not going to know what you're talking about. Make it clear that you're talking about the FREE 5GB mobile hot spot for Palm Pre Plus.

I seem to recall reading that once the unlimited data plans went away last year, the MHS was no longer a option for new activations, so you would have to be grandfathered on an unlimted plan, from what I'm understanding.

But just call them, tell them your situation, and let us know!
    from what i understand from when i was speaking with reps, the pre plus has had, does have, and always will have free tethering. it's an agreement they made with palm when the phone was originally released. free mobile hotspot.

this does NOT mean free unlimited hotspot. it most likely means unlimited in the sense that it's free until your phone's data plan is up. unless, however, you do have unlimited by the grandfathered plan... which would mean it has free unlimited tethering.

disclaimer: i am not a vzw customer service rep nor a lawyer. this is not legal advice
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Your best option is just to call Verizon. When you do, just go straight to Techical Support (I think it's option 3). The average cs rep is not going to know what you're talking about. Make it clear that you're talking about the FREE 5GB mobile hot spot for Palm Pre Plus.

I seem to recall reading that once the unlimited data plans went away last year, the MHS was no longer a option for new activations, so you would have to be grandfathered on an unlimted plan, from what I'm understanding.

I called them and they told me that the share everything plans offer free tethering in general. I'm not sure if the lady meant for the Pre Plus only or every smartphone
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    I called them and they told me that the share everything plans offer free tethering in general. I'm not sure if the lady meant for the Pre Plus only or every smartphone
    From the little bit I read (an article on FoxNews website about a week or two ago) the Verizon share everything plans are for every smartphone. You buy the amount of data per month (starts at around $50 a month for 1 GB, tops out around 10 GB for $100 or so...this is from memory...so could be scary wrong!), and pay a $40 monthly usage fee for your smartphone access. Unlimited minutes of talk, unlimited texts, limited on data. If you choose to use tethering/mobile hotspot, i think it just takes from your data allotment (1 to 10 GB, depending on what you buy).
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    From the little bit I read (an article on FoxNews website about a week or two ago) the Verizon share everything plans are for every smartphone. You buy the amount of data per month (starts at around $50 a month for 1 GB, tops out around 10 GB for $100 or so...this is from memory...so could be scary wrong!), and pay a $40 monthly usage fee for your smartphone access. Unlimited minutes of talk, unlimited texts, limited on data. If you choose to use tethering/mobile hotspot, i think it just takes from your data allotment (1 to 10 GB, depending on what you buy).
    Yeah I went over the Share everything plans ALOT and all the info is correct luckily my mom gets a 22% discount because she works at CitiGroup. I did that because it means I can finally get a smartphone. (I'm looking at you Pre Plus or Pre 2)
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post

I seem to recall reading that once the unlimited data plans went away last year, the MHS was no longer a option for new activations, so you would have to be grandfathered on an unlimited plan, from what I'm understanding.

It was such a nice advise, that I decided to take matters into my own hands and call the customer service depart. of Verizon Wireless. After countless hours of the phone with service reps, it apparently the mobile feature for the newer Palm Pre 2's it wasn't originally discussed between the two companies(meaning Verizon/Palm). When the Palm Pre 2 WebOS phone was officially released to the market, it happened during the shaky transition of HP buying palm. Looks like no terms where made between Verizon, and the mobile hotspot feature is only for the older devices like Palm Pixi and Pre Plus exclusively.

The point of the matter is, once the month of July hits my mobile hotspot feature capability will be taken off which it's a bummer to me since I use those feature the most with my TouchPad. I stupidly believed that the hotspot was still actively because, I could use it on my Palm Phone. However, starting next month it will be shut-down will try to fight it off, but something tells me that it will lead nowhere. The Palm Pre 2 doesn't carry that specific feature since Verizon still hasn't announced it, and seeing all this time pass-by it will never be announced at all.

Pre 2 buyers, beware Verizon(officially doesn't support Mobile Hotspot for the newer Palm Pre Phone).

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    from what i understand from when i was speaking with reps, the pre plus has had, does have, and always will have free tethering. it's an agreement they made with palm when the phone was originally released. free mobile hotspot.

this does NOT mean free unlimited hotspot. it most likely means unlimited in the sense that it's free until your phone's data plan is up. unless, however, you do have unlimited by the grandfathered plan... which would mean it has free unlimited tethering.

disclaimer: i am not a vzw customer service rep nor a lawyer. this is not legal advice
    Somehow when it was originally released it didn't offer the free tethering for the Phones, after a few months of been on store shelves that's when silently Verizon announced the free mobile hotspot feature for Palm Phones. I say this, because tons of people who purchased the devices didn't had a clue of this free mobile hotspot until they say their monthly bill that specific that term of free 5GB of mobile data for hotspot. I was one of those, that didn't even knew that Verizon had that feature until I saw my bill statements.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    As of this weekend, the mobile hotspot on my Pre+ stopped working (it was working fine on Friday).

After about an hour of investigation this afternoon with a rep at the Verizon store, including help from phone support (while at the store), the answer that came back is that we've been living on borrowed time--apparently the free mobile hotspot feature was based on a contract between Palm and Verizon that expired last summer. Verizon has apparently taken the step of finally shutting off that service on all existing plans (at least, that's what I was told).

I'd be curious if anyone is still able to use the mobile hotspot (the stock feature, not the third-party tethering app).
    yes, Verizon offers 5gb of tethered data with the unlimited data plan on the pre+ because the plans offered are tied to the device, and that plan is tried to the plus.
    I just switched from a Droid X to a Pre Plus about a week ago. (Droid X has been having a rough life and currently has a dead radio). When activating the Pre Plus, the 5GB free tethering was added to my account automatically and works great.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast