Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Armada
  • 1 Post By Armada
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    I'm thinking the Pre+ is a good jumping on point as a new user and dev. Good aftermarket price (though I might have a bro here come through with a Pre 2), okay specs, and I'm able to test on the hardware as a dev. I don't want to invest too much into webOS until I'm really sure I love it as mcuh as I think I do. Let me start by saying lag and lack of webOS 2.x features won't be much of a bother. Apps taking a bit to start up isn't a big hassle and web browser lag... well the Android browser is STILL slow. I don't need Flash either. Just as long as basic tasks don't slow the system to molasses or freeze it doing simple tasks (my dual core tab with 700+ MB RAM lags when typing!) I don't know what I'm missing with Just Type and I don't need card stacks. I figure if I really want those I can meta-doctor up to 2.x.

Any more advice, given my "newbie"-ness?
    welcome aboard! WebOS is a great operating system that is very easy to develop for. I'm glad you took an interest in it, but might I suggest starting with a Pre˛ or possibly even a Preł? I don't know anyone with an original Pre anymore (I just got rid of my last month, upgraded to the amazing Pre 3) and it seems like there's not a market for webOS 1.4.5. You'll have a much better market with webOS 2.x.x. Just my 2˘.
    I think Pre2's are not that much more these days and if you can afford the difference, personally I'd go that route. It's up to you, it's your money, but remember they do have a better build quality...people have had them since they came out and still swear by them.

Welcome aboard, nice to hear developers are still taking interest.

<subtle hint>

Now where's that guitar (or any other instrument for that matter) tuning app....the one that actually listens to the note (all notes, half steps included) being played...
    and tells you which way to go?

</subtle hint>
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Thanks guys. Just ordered my Pre+. And there's no tuner app, really? I'll add it to my list of ideas. I'm a musician too and I know they are super handy.

Edit: From what I've seen in demos the Pre+ should handle 2.x well enough for Dev purposes, if not daily use.
    Last edited by beveragevendor; 06/22/2012 at 03:43 PM.
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by beveragevendor View Post
    Thanks guys. Just ordered my Pre+. And there's no tuner app, really? I'll add it to my list of ideas. I'm a musician too and I know they are super handy.

Edit: From what I've seen in demos the Pre+ should handle 2.x well enough for Dev purposes, if not daily use.
    glad I could help! Good luck with your future developing endeavors!
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    I already have decided my first app. I'm planning to port a simple but super fun game called Pathpix. Waiting for my Pre to come in the mail is painful though. If I had ordered earlier I wouldn't have to wait through the no-weekend deliveries. I'm antsy to get my first taste of webOS. I think I might doctor up to 2.x and, depending on speed and battery life, overclock to 800 MHz.
    johnnygewitter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by beveragevendor View Post
    I already have decided my first app. I'm planning to port a simple but super fun game called Pathpix. Waiting for my Pre to come in the mail is painful though. If I had ordered earlier I wouldn't have to wait through the no-weekend deliveries. I'm antsy to get my first taste of webOS. I think I might doctor up to 2.x and, depending on speed and battery life, overclock to 800 MHz.
    Waiting for the delivery of a new gadget is always a great struggle

You can start developing / get comfortable with the tools and environment right away!
    (just in case you haven't downloaded and played with it already)
    SDK and emulator images
    Ares (in-browser Mojo IDE)
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    I'm excited. Its supposed to arrive tomorrow. I was hoping for today but apparently UPS will purposely not deliver it early (a load of honky if you ask me). With my luck it'll show up during or right before my work shift so I have to suffer. D: