webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > palm pre plus wifi only - no carrier
palm pre plus wifi only - no carrier
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06/04/2012, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 7
I upgraded to an iPhone (love it) and wanted to give my Verizon Palm Pre Plus to my granddaughter as a WiFi only device. I wanted her to be able to use WiFi and download and run (free) apps. I made the big mistake of doing a hard reset and now I can't get past the palm profile login screen. I tried to call "##DEVMODE#" to bypass activation but I can't type in letters. I saw reference to doing a hardware reset (option, sym and power keys) but that doesn't seem to work. I did a reset by calling ##786#, selecting reset and entering 000000 but now it wants to call Verizon to activate. I also saw references to installing the SDK, Java, a bypass tool, webOS doctor and going through a long process that I don't understand.

I think what I want to do is:

1. Bypass Activation.
2. Set up WiFi.
3. Be able to access the App Store (to download free apps)

Is there a simple process to do this?

or

Can someone give me detailed step by step instructions?
khepfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2012, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by khepfer View Post
I upgraded to an iPhone (love it) and wanted to give my Verizon Palm Pre Plus to my granddaughter as a WiFi only device. I wanted her to be able to use WiFi and download and run (free) apps. I made the big mistake of doing a hard reset and now I can't get past the palm profile login screen. I tried to call "##DEVMODE#" to bypass activation but I can't type in letters. I saw reference to doing a hardware reset (option, sym and power keys) but that doesn't seem to work. I did a reset by calling ##786#, selecting reset and entering 000000 but now it wants to call Verizon to activate. I also saw references to installing the SDK, Java, a bypass tool, webOS doctor and going through a long process that I don't understand.

I think what I want to do is:

1. Bypass Activation.
2. Set up WiFi.
3. Be able to access the App Store (to download free apps)

Is there a simple process to do this?

or

Can someone give me detailed step by step instructions?
I guess I shouldn't have said I love my iPhone! I love my pre too!!!

If there isn't a simple process, I am willing to do a complicated process, but I need a little more guidance.

Help!
khepfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2012, 12:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
AwesomePalmPre127's Avatar
 
Posts: 130
What you want to do is fairly easy, though requires a fair amount of steps.

First, you must Boot your device into recovery mode:

Booting into Recovery Mode

To flash a device with a webOS Doctor or to run the activation-bypass tool, you must first boot the device into recovery mode by performing the following steps:

Plug the USB cable into your computer. Do not connect the other end to your device yet.
Remove the battery from the device.
Hold down the device's volume up button.
Insert the USB cable into the device.
Re-insert the battery.
Release the volume up button.

The device will boot into recovery mode, and you will see the USB logo on the device's screen. At this point, you may run either the webOS Doctor (to flash your device with the latest version of webOS) or the activation-bypass tool (to enable your unactivated device for development).

Second- After you have completed this, you must download and run the Activation Bypass Tool- (this will get you past the Palm Profile Login Screen. You must also have java installed for this tool to work) Found Here:
https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ed_device.html

After running the tool, (should take about 2 minutes), the device should go to the normal screen.

Once that is done, you will need to download the 'Show first use app' and the 'Enable Profile Creation- Activation Bypassed' patches from preware. This will allow you to download free apps from the app catalog. (You must first run first use and make a profile though)

Good Luck!
__________________
"The best way to get something done is to begin" ~ Author Unknown

Last edited by AwesomePalmPre127; 06/14/2012 at 12:54 AM. Reason: forgot step
AwesomePalmPre127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Jochen K.
Old 06/15/2012, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 7
Thanks, I will give it a try and post back with my results.
khepfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2012, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 7
The process worked. Now I can connect with WIFI, have a profile, get apps, etc.

Thanks again.
khepfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2012, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
AwesomePalmPre127's Avatar
 
Posts: 130
You're welcome

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
AwesomePalmPre127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 12:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 83
I want to do the same thing with my Pre-. I do have a couple of questions though. My Pre- is deactivated on Sprint and it has the problem where it just goes to a black screen and I have to plug it in to the power cord in order to get it to wake back up, and no, it's not out of battery. Does anyone know what the fix is for this? I am running UberKernel Default. Maybe my phone just needs to be wiped, but I don't want to lose all the apps I purchased, which leads to my next question...

The other issue is that I have a Touchpad, so I still have an active Palm Profile. If I do the above steps to be able to get to the App Catalog, can I just keep my original profile and thus all the apps that I paid for?

Thanks!
kmcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2013, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcochran View Post
I want to do the same thing with my Pre-. I do have a couple of questions though. My Pre- is deactivated on Sprint and it has the problem where it just goes to a black screen and I have to plug it in to the power cord in order to get it to wake back up, and no, it's not out of battery. Does anyone know what the fix is for this? I am running UberKernel Default. Maybe my phone just needs to be wiped, but I don't want to lose all the apps I purchased, which leads to my next question...

The other issue is that I have a Touchpad, so I still have an active Palm Profile. If I do the above steps to be able to get to the App Catalog, can I just keep my original profile and thus all the apps that I paid for?

Thanks!
I had the battery dying problem with my Pre and I finally went through the steps outlined above (tedious process btw). When I signed into my Palm profile, it downloaded all of my apps, but I'm not sure if I had any paid apps. I also downloaded the network shut down app from preware...and my battery lasts a long time now! I use Govnah screenstate 500/1000 btw.
dgcamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: kmcochran
Old 04/05/2013, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Rockbeast's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePalmPre127 View Post
What you want to do is fairly easy, though requires a fair amount of steps.

First, you must Boot your device into recovery mode:

Booting into Recovery Mode

To flash a device with a webOS Doctor or to run the activation-bypass tool, you must first boot the device into recovery mode by performing the following steps:

Plug the USB cable into your computer. Do not connect the other end to your device yet.
Remove the battery from the device.
Hold down the device's volume up button.
Insert the USB cable into the device.
Re-insert the battery.
Release the volume up button.

The device will boot into recovery mode, and you will see the USB logo on the device's screen. At this point, you may run either the webOS Doctor (to flash your device with the latest version of webOS) or the activation-bypass tool (to enable your unactivated device for development).

Second- After you have completed this, you must download and run the Activation Bypass Tool- (this will get you past the Palm Profile Login Screen. You must also have java installed for this tool to work) Found Here:
https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ed_device.html

After running the tool, (should take about 2 minutes), the device should go to the normal screen.

Once that is done, you will need to download the 'Show first use app' and the 'Enable Profile Creation- Activation Bypassed' patches from preware. This will allow you to download free apps from the app catalog. (You must first run first use and make a profile though)

Good Luck!
Well, I tried this and it was not successful. I was able to enter recovery mode by following the four steps above. I had the USB symbol on the screen. Then I ran the cmd line java command and after a moment or two, I got this command line message:

No devices found.

To enter recovery mode:
1. Remove the battery...
2.
3.
4. You should see a USB symbol on the screen...

Any suggestions?

I tried again and it worked. Now I see that all the apps are gone...including Save/Restore. I can't get Into the app catalog, so how do I recover my old apps and restore them...or can I?
__________________
Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!


Last edited by Rockbeast; 04/05/2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: UPDATE: Tried again with some success.
Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0