Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Just a question, Please help

I just ordered the HTC Evo and will need to get contacts, etc from pre transferred. My pre died on me and I want to know how can I still get the contacts transferred. The sprint store person said no, the pre has to be able to turn on, so they can punch in a code and get the info transferred. Another person said it didnt matter because the info is in the "cloud". Has anyone switched their information with a dead pre?

Thanks for your help, I hate saying good bye to my pre, I loved it, but the screen wouldnt turn on, even though the keyboard was lit up. I tried all the suggestions I saw on the forum and it worked the first time to get the phone turned back on, two weeks later, it did it again, I havent been able to turn it back on, so if you have any suggestions for that issue too, please let me know!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by niki101 View Post
    Just a question, Please help

I just ordered the HTC Evo and will need to get contacts, etc from pre transferred. My pre died on me and I want to know how can I still get the contacts transferred. The sprint store person said no, the pre has to be able to turn on, so they can punch in a code and get the info transferred. Another person said it didnt matter because the info is in the "cloud". Has anyone switched their information with a dead pre?

Thanks for your help, I hate saying good bye to my pre, I loved it, but the screen wouldnt turn on, even though the keyboard was lit up. I tried all the suggestions I saw on the forum and it worked the first time to get the phone turned back on, two weeks later, it did it again, I havent been able to turn it back on, so if you have any suggestions for that issue too, please let me know!!!
    If you made google be your main repository for contact information then all your contacts should be in your gmail contacts. If you let it default to palm as the repository then they are all backed up somewhere on a server but there is no public way to access them.

If you can get your hands on a working palm pre and get it activated on the same palm profile as you used before it should all magically sync back to the new (old) pre. From there you could use a homebrew patch/app that will let your phone email you a copy of your contacts and from there you should be able to get them uploaded into a google account which if you are going to Android you will want to do anyway.
    --Chris

Palm History:

Palm Personal => Palm Personal with Palm Pro upgrade card => Palm III => Palm IIIx => Palm IIIxe => Palm T|X => Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    If you made google be your main repository for contact information then all your contacts should be in your gmail contacts. If you let it default to palm as the repository then they are all backed up somewhere on a server but there is no public way to access them.

If you can get your hands on a working palm pre and get it activated on the same palm profile as you used before it should all magically sync back to the new (old) pre. From there you could use a homebrew patch/app that will let your phone email you a copy of your contacts and from there you should be able to get them uploaded into a google account which if you are going to Android you will want to do anyway.
    ok, cool...I will try that.. and I will let you know how it works