Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ulmens
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I have a Verizon Palm Pre Plus that I used to use as my personal phone. I now have a new phone, but I would still like to use my Palm Pre+ as a wifi only device and still have the ability to connect to my Palm Profile with the device only running wifi. Is this possible? If so, help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by darren1021 View Post
    I have a Verizon Palm Pre Plus that I used to use as my personal phone. I now have a new phone, but I would still like to use my Palm Pre+ as a wifi only device and still have the ability to connect to my Palm Profile with the device only running wifi. Is this possible? If so, help would be greatly appreciated.
    What version are you running 1.4.5 , 2.1?? Yes, Possible in many ways. Easy way is to get patch off of Preware (radio always off). Once installed that radio is disabled, set your wifi for your phone and your in. If you are into doctoring your phone then doctor to the version you want (1.4.5_2.1_2.4 ect) and read the metadoctor Wiki about how to include wifi only into the script you choose. Your profile should still b there for you so fire up your pre plus and enjoy.
    darren1021 likes this.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ulmens View Post
    What version are you running 1.4.5 , 2.1?? Yes, Possible in many ways. Easy way is to get patch off of Preware (radio always off). Once installed that radio is disabled, set your wifi for your phone and your in. If you are into doctoring your phone then doctor to the version you want (1.4.5_2.1_2.4 ect) and read the metadoctor Wiki about how to include wifi only into the script you choose. Your profile should still b there for you so fire up your pre plus and enjoy.
    I was going to make a similar post, I tried searching but used horrible search terms, this post was on first page. I stil have my pre- and might have to jump ship if im staying on sprint, or try to get a cheap pre3 if i got to vzw. In any case, to keep my pre- as not an iPod device but just as a pilot device, (yes a PDA), will this work for me to?

So if i activate a new phone (s3 w/asphalt 7?) i just go to my pre- and download Radio Always Off and then i can connect to wifi and still use my pre- ?

EDIT: w/out going into cmd line and messing with files?
    All you really need to do is put it in airplane mode, then turn WiFi on and off as needed. You can also use the patch if you really want, which may also turn the GPS radio off. My inactive devices lose time when they have WiFi turned off for extended periods of time, so use clocksync to sync the clock when it loses time (faster than setting it manually)
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    All you really need to do is put it in airplane mode, then turn WiFi on and off as needed. You can also use the patch if you really want, which may also turn the GPS radio off. My inactive devices lose time when they have WiFi turned off for extended periods of time, so use clocksync to sync the clock when it loses time (faster than setting it manually)
    will i still be connected to the palm profile though? I dont need the app store on the pre-, not usefull really + i can still get feeds, my main concenr is being able to still access palm profile as well like my non 3g tp.
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o826 View Post
    will i still be connected to the palm profile though? I dont need the app store on the pre-, not usefull really + i can still get feeds, my main concenr is being able to still access palm profile as well like my non 3g tp.
    Absolutely! Nothing about your Palm profile is dependent on staying connected to your carrier except the normal sign-in when you first activate the phone. You can still buy apps as long as your are on WiFi and signed in to your profile. The only reason you would be logged out of your profile is if you doctored your phone or did a full erase. At that point, you would have to use something like the activation bypass tool (hidden on Palm's, er, HP's developer website - probably can be found with a Google search) to skip the initial sign-in screen so you can connect to WiFi and then sign into your palm profile via the First Use app. I've done it a number of times on three different phones. My current Pre sat inactive for 6 months until last week, connected only to WiFi occasionally.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    airplane mode turns off wifi as well. So even if I do nothing I could use it as a wifi device? I should install the no radio homebrew patch so the cdma band isn't searching for a signal and draining the battery. Anything else I should do / prepare for leaving the pre- ?
    After turning on airplane mode, you can still turn wifi on and off. The rest of the radios remain in airplane mode.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Absolutely! Nothing about your Palm profile is dependent on staying connected to your carrier except the normal sign-in when you first activate the phone. You can still buy apps as long as your are on WiFi and signed in to your profile. The only reason you would be logged out of your profile is if you doctored your phone or did a full erase. At that point, you would have to use something like the activation bypass tool (hidden on Palm's, er, HP's developer website - probably can be found with a Google search) to skip the initial sign-in screen so you can connect to WiFi and then sign into your palm profile via the First Use app. I've done it a number of times on three different phones. My current Pre sat inactive for 6 months until last week, connected only to WiFi occasionally.
    My situation is as you described above (did a full erase and logged out of profile). Can you elaborate on the use of the "activation bypass tool" and the "first use app". Are there other items (such as SDK and Java) that are needed to be installed? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    Ken
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I loaned my pre plus to my sister. When she then replaced it with her new Razr she sent Pre back a few weeks later. i turn it on and wifi works and I can access everything, except of course phone. I am not sure how or why it works now. In the past I have replaced a Pre and a Pixi in same way and they would not work.