Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. noahisaac's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
       #1  
    So, I was about to meta doctor from 1.4.5 to 2.1.0 (or maybe 2.2.4). I had JUST backed up my Pre+, when I pulled the USB cable. Suddenly, my fully charged phone went dead. I plugged the USB cable back in, and got the dreaded question mark icon. Great, I thought, my battery that's only 3 weeks old gave out. I tried a second battery that's BRAND new. Same deal. I left it charging ALL night (about 11 hours), and STILL the same deal. I've tried two other batteries, and none of the four I've tried work at all. I've taken a magnifying glass to the battery contacts on the phone, and they all look perfectly fine.

    I'm so confused.

    Has this happened to anyone else? I couldn't find anything like this on the forums or on google.

    Any suggestions or advice are welcome.
  2. noahisaac's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
       #2  
    Update: Can't even do emergency usb mode. I still just get the question mark.

    Going to try an OMAP boot procedure.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by noahisaac View Post
    Update: Can't even do emergency usb mode. I still just get the question mark.

    Going to try an OMAP boot procedure.
    Have a PrePlus, my battery did this but it also swelled (seems it thinks it is 1383mAh when it is 1183mAh). Replaced battery all was fine. You said you did that all are the same. I would look at the modem board to main board connection. Seems the flex cable gets loose.
  4. noahisaac's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Have a PrePlus, my battery did this but it also swelled (seems it thinks it is 1383mAh when it is 1183mAh). Replaced battery all was fine. You said you did that all are the same. I would look at the modem board to main board connection. Seems the flex cable gets loose.
    Thanks, John! I'll have to get a smaller set of torx tools, but I'm definitely going to try.

    Also, thanks for all the meta doctoring tools!
  5. noahisaac's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
       #5  
    Just following up for the edification of anyone else who has this issue:

    The OMAP boot procedure worked. It's here:

    Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery - WebOS Internals

    Using this, I was able to get the device into USB mode to run a doctor. I took that opportunity to upgrade to 2.1.0, and so far, it's everything I dreamed it would be. Yay!

    So, I guess under the right (wrong?) circumstances, just pulling the usb cable while the device is mounted as a USB drive can screw up the bootloader somehow. The result for me was that the device would not recognize ANY battery. Every boot method, including emergency usb boot, first requires a working battery, so they were all useless to me. The OMAP boot worked because it does NOT require any sort of battery to be recognized by the device. It just draws power directly from USB.

    Thanks to everyone involved for coding these wonderful tools, without which, my phone would surely be bricked, and I'd be contemplating buying some silly Android device! Yuck.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by noahisaac View Post
    Just following up for the edification of anyone else who has this issue:

    The OMAP boot procedure worked. It's here:

    Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery - WebOS Internals

    Using this, I was able to get the device into USB mode to run a doctor. I took that opportunity to upgrade to 2.1.0, and so far, it's everything I dreamed it would be. Yay!

    So, I guess under the right (wrong?) circumstances, just pulling the usb cable while the device is mounted as a USB drive can screw up the bootloader somehow. The result for me was that the device would not recognize ANY battery. Every boot method, including emergency usb boot, first requires a working battery, so they were all useless to me. The OMAP boot worked because it does NOT require any sort of battery to be recognized by the device. It just draws power directly from USB.

    Thanks to everyone involved for coding these wonderful tools, without which, my phone would surely be bricked, and I'd be contemplating buying some silly Android device! Yuck.
    I am glad you got it work, another happy PrePlus with webOS 2.1.0...

Posting Permissions