1.    #1  
    My AT&T Pre+ has to have the weirdest problem ever. I would plug it in, it would claim to charge, but the battery would still drain. I had to go so I switched my SIM card into my backup BlackBerry, left the Pre plugged in, and son of a gun, when I came back, it was fully charged. It has charged with several different chargers, several different outlets, and two different batteries, but only if the SIM card is not in the phone. Swapping the SIM card back and forth is a pain since both phones need to be restarted to recognize it. Now what?
    do you use freetether or anything else? My only thought is you have some kind of data draw. The phone is actually "charging" but CPU usage is elevated to the point you are not seeing a positive charge result.

I am fairly new to SIMs, but I do know cell tech in general, if the radios are overworking, the battery drains.

If you have govnah or Dr. battery you can check you draw. So if you homebrew I would start there. Then we can help more. Unless someone with more experience with SIMs has any idea, I am going with radio draw.

Oh and is this the correct SIM for the phone, for example ATT SIM for ATT phone? Or are you running a custom carrier or unlocked setup? (these are just possible ideas, I still am going with the above)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3.    #3  
    It's an AT&T card in an AT&T phone, and it can't be radio use because I don't use freetether or any other such high-yield app besides Pandora, which gets used maybe once a month. This really did just start happening for no reason; I fully charged a battery, swapped it for a drained one, and it refused to charge.
    That doesn't rule out radio use.

Like I said, my advice is to user govnah or battery monitor to check battery drain then go from there. There could be other radio issues that could be causing this other than app draw.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...