Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By imurrx
  • 1 Post By JohnKern
  • 1 Post By imurrx
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I had the chance to buy a new Pre back in Nov 2010. I elected to buy a LG Optimus s. I knew I could by a new phone in one year. Unfortunately I missed out due to the HP fiasco. I was lucky to buy a touchpad. I was getting sick of android and I have taken the jump to buy a mint used Pre with the touchstone.

I have tweaked my touchpad pretty well. Any good suggestions for the pre?
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Wow.

I guess welcome aboard?
    Indeed, welcome fully on board.

Which Pre did you get?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    A sprint pre-. I am planning to get it upgraded to webOS 2, install spring nav, and overclock it. This is the 3rd palm phone I am getting. I went from the Treo 650 to the 800w. Unfortunately I bought the Optimus S to hold over because I was expecting sprint to get a new pre or veer, then HP Apotheker killed that.
    May I ask why you didn't get Veer or Pre 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by jakko View Post
    Maybe because he has sprint?
    Even still. I'm on sprint. I have a pre 2. Thing is you can't complain about another phone and then pick up a phone that is 3 years old with some of the worst hardware ever. He will have more issues than anything.

If that's the route he wanted to go then that's fine but at least get a pre 2 so you can actually enjoy the phone/experience some what.
    yea pre - is def slow as all hell. Even the pre plus isn't that great. Pre 2 is a huge improvement to both of them.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    We should then not fail to mention that you buy the Pre- just to get the Sprint radio circuit card, and then transplant it into a Pre2 and go thru the Frankenpre process. I did it and find that I am considering holding off on getting a new phone now until I see how the Open WebOS story plays out.
    dadueler likes this.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I have had Sprint for over 12 years. I signed up with them here as soon as they rolled out. The plans have been fair and I have 5 phones on my account (4 smart phones) all with various activation times.

I need the Pre - to begin. If I am going to stick with it, then I will get a Pre 2 and then do the transplant and make that frankenpre 2. If there is a modern phone that will support Open webOS, then I will use my upgrade for that. I did not pay that much for the Pre and the Touchstone that it came with it.

The only true app I will miss is Netflix. My current phone can't support it so it is not a loss. My wife can do it with hers to keep the kids occupied when we are out and about. The navigation is the other app I need to migrate from that Pre minus to what ever I end up with. Google navigation is nice, but it has tried to send me down too many times down the wrong way on one way streets. All the other apps I use in android have browser compatible pages.

I really cannot stand Apple and Android has it's quirks. On my Touchpad I have both webOS and CM9. CM9 only good merits is Netflix, ezPDF pro, gmail app, and cnet.com loads correctly. Other than that, webOS 3.05 is better. I tend to use it almost all the time.
    dadueler likes this.
    I switched from Sprint to H2O to get the Pre 3 and Veer... To be honest, I miss Sprint though... H2O started cutting off data after 1GB and is the same price ($60) as my Sprint plan was... plus, I no longer have a navigation app...

Once Sprint gets a good Open webOS or Windows Phone 8 device, I'm looking forward to switching back...
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Even still. I'm on sprint. I have a pre 2. Thing is you can't complain about another phone and then pick up a phone that is 3 years old with some of the worst hardware ever. He will have more issues than anything.

If that's the route he wanted to go then that's fine but at least get a pre 2 so you can actually enjoy the phone/experience some what.
    The android phone I had limited memory and a 600 MHz processor. It could barely play Angry Birds or Worms on it. Crappy camera and unable to install any more updates for some reason. I could blast it and redo it, but and gingerbread never won me over. Most of the android phones that have great specks are just to large for my taste. I miss the physical keyboard instead of the of the onscreen keyboard or swype.

Getting the Pre 2 would have been the endgame, but wanted to wait. I just bid on one on ebay for a decent price. I would have waited but it was a good price. So it looks like I have a project in the following weekend. I need to read up on the needed steps to make that frankenpre 2.

Any pitfalls I should watch out for?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    You'd really be better off just getting the Pre 2 & modifying it to work on Sprint. I've had pre - , pre + , pixi, & frankenpre 2, and with the time to setup & customize any version of the phone you will have a much better experience & save urself time & frustration just doing the pre2 from the start. Not to mention the is versions are fairly different & I can only see using the Pre- with 1.4.5 ending in headache compared to pre2 & updated os.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I have been reading over the conversion for the Pre 2 and webOS 2. I just have a few questions.

1) I already have an account for my Touchpad. I know for Apple and Android you can have several devices attached per account. Is that the same for Palm Profile? From what I read you can have one phone and multiple touchpads.

2) Once I get the phone active with Sprint (pre -), can I start the conversion with the radio board transplant from the pre - to pre 2? At this point I will not install any information or put anything of significance on the pre - since I will be doing the Pre 2. I see no need to do any updates on the pre -. I should be able to hold off from making my Palm Profile until the Pre 2 is up and running?

3) I have already installed the the SDK-PDK and novacom drivers from https://developer.palm.com/content/r..._download.html . The only other step I see I need to do is to build an Unbutu desktop build to run metadoctor. Anything else I am missing?

4) it looks like I only need to do is steps 3,4,6 from webos-internals.org guide. At this point I should be able to create or add this new phone to to the Palm Profile.

I think those are the only questions I have. Everything else I have been reading has been strait forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
    I have been reading over the conversion for the Pre 2 and webOS 2. I just have a few questions.

1) I already have an account for my Touchpad. I know for Apple and Android you can have several devices attached per account. Is that the same for Palm Profile? From what I read you can have one phone and multiple touchpads.

2) Once I get the phone active with Sprint (pre -), can I start the conversion with the radio board transplant from the pre - to pre 2? At this point I will not install any information or put anything of significance on the pre - since I will be doing the Pre 2. I see no need to do any updates on the pre -. I should be able to hold off from making my Palm Profile until the Pre 2 is up and running?

3) I have already installed the the SDK-PDK and novacom drivers from https://developer.palm.com/content/r..._download.html . The only other step I see I need to do is to build an Unbutu desktop build to run metadoctor. Anything else I am missing?

4) it looks like I only need to do is steps 3,4,6 from webos-internals.org guide. At this point I should be able to create or add this new phone to to the Palm Profile.

I think those are the only questions I have. Everything else I have been reading has been strait forward.
    The Pre2 is a huge step up from the Pre-, even if your running the Pre- overclocked. I just did the conversion a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier with the results.

Re: your questions:

#1) My Touchpad and Pre2 use the same account - works fine and some apps will appear on both devices.

#2) Yes, that's correct. Just do a PRL update and network update on the Pre - prior to the conversion since you can't do this from the Pre2, at least not directly. There appear to be some ways to do this via command line and such afterwards but I haven't attempted it yet.

#3) No. The Ubuntu install is easier than I expected - the Windows installer makes the process quite painful. For the least hassle install the Ubuntu version specified in the webOS Internals guide, not the latest version. I had some trouble getting the SDK for the latest Ubuntu version but in the end did get just the drivers working, which was enough.

#4) Step 1 involves getting the Ubuntu Palm drivers. I suppose you might not need this step if you plan on copying the JAR file back to Windows after the build and simply running it from there, so yeah, you can probably skip this. However if you install the drivers it'll be easier to confirm your build worked well by running it directly from your Ubuntu setup.

Good luck, and welcome to the community!
    Quote Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
    Any pitfalls I should watch out for?
    Activating the comm board is key, as you already pointed out.
    Also, if the Pre2 you're using is a GSM phone, you'll be porting more than just the comm board over, you need to also do the back plastic including the antenna cables. That tripped me up once..

The first time you do it, it takes a while, but its pretty easy actually and relatively hard to break anything. Also watch out for the volume control buttons. Make sure they're secure and won't fall out later.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I finally got the Pre today and got it activated. Tomorrow I should be getting in the Pre 2.

I have installed Ubuntu and I have a question on webOS doctor.

Which version of webOS doctor should I be downloading in order to create a Sprin Pre 2 using a Verizon Pre 2 phone and sprint COM board
    WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

The rest of the steps seem simple. I just could not find an answer saying which one. I have seen some people using the Verizon Pre 2.1.0.

If I use the Sprint Pre 1.4.5 will the system upgrade it later?
    Go through the Sprint Pre 2 instructions to swap the comm board and then follow the instructions for building your own doctor.
    According to this, you'll want to use the meta-sprint-franken-verizon-pre2-2.2.4 script which will download the appropriate doctor for you.

The meta doctor process is really pretty easy now and should do all the heavy lifting for you. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Thanks to all... I have successfully got my self a working Sprint Pre 2 now. I got it tweeked now with some patches and overclocked. It is a big difference from the Pre -

One thing I would like to comment to the gate keepers of webOS internals, My biggest sticking point in the process was the notion I needed to download and create my own metadoctor. It took me a while to realize that the scripts makes that whole step automated with the scripts in step 4 and really did not need it. Now looking at it, I should have realized it.