Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I have a deactivated Verizon Pre Plus that I had upgraded to WebOS 2.1, which still works fine but now can't download updates or new apps. I assume that this info was tied to the carrier somehow, but should be a way to bypass this. Is this a use for Impostah? Does anyone have a procedure to allow app catalog downloads in this configuration? Hopefully I don't have to Doctor the device, but want to keep it fully active on WIFI so will try whatever works.
    it's not tied to your carrier, it's tied to your Palm (or "HP webOS") Profile. I'm assuming when you built your doctor, you used the --wifi-only flag: that not only bypasses carrier activation but also signing into your profile.

I just did a similar procedure (deactivated Pre Plus), but using 1.4.5.1. That included a "First Use" app in the launcher which let me sign in to my profile and still not deal with Verizon. I know it's possible to do the same with 2.1.0, I'm just not sure how. Maybe a patch to install that unhides first use? I don't recall.

EDIT: since this particular phone is a play-toy that I wasn't supposed to end up with anyway, I'm going ahead and doctoring up to 2.1.0. I'll let you know how it goes, since I'll be dealing with the same issue you are.

EDIT x2: Got it! well, assuming I was right about the root of your problem. Just run the "Gesture Tutorial" application. I know, I know... there's an "activation" screen in there, but it all that does is register the phone with HP/Palm's servers so you can use the App Catalog. it does NOT "phone home" to Verizon and activate it on their network.

EDIT x3: Just an FYI, after you run the "Gesture Tutorial" and sign in to your profile, it'll tell you to hit "Done" and that it will restart and then sync all your stuff. It seems like the wording isn't quite correct on that. Mine had the spinning progress circle going on for several minutes and hadn't begun to actually restart yet. I pulled the battery to force a reboot, and found most of my apps restored once it came back up. So... it's looking like you sign in, it pulls down any apps and data, and THEN it restarts.
    Last edited by jeffro-tull; 03/12/2012 at 05:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Actually, I doctored it with a Verizon profile and used it for the better part of a year before I finally replaced it. I was having to reboot it a couple times per day just to read e-mail, but other things were working fine. When the number was transferred to the new phone, nothing reallychanged on my 2.1 pre except it now can't successfully download new apps or update existing ones.

Thanks for the thoughts, but I don't think they apply to me.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    OK, so I figured I'd actually try to run the gesture tutorial after I read your post completely. It locks up and gives me a black screen until I reboot. If I try to minimize the program, the top menu bar changes, but the main screen stays black. No joy.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Well, I don't know what happened, but after I rebooted from the failed(?) graffiti setup wizard, I started getting app update notifications and also was able to install free apps again. Hopefully will keep working - my preplus "touch" is fully functional now!
    Hello,
    Just signed up 5 minutes ago & already found the forum I need.
    I just purchased a Palm Pre Plus on the web, cdma Verizon. The only thing that comes up is a login to palm profile screen which fails because I am not hooked into Verizon, & don't want to.
    I bought this phone ONLY to use the beautiful Palm calendar I was used to on my now-deceased Treo 90.
    Two gentlemen above said they de-activated their phone.
    HOW can I do that, so I can use the calendar only, without having to waste money on phone activation?
    I just want to use the Palm calendar.
    If someone could point me to a step-by-step list I would sure appreciate it.
    Thanks !!!
    Doug
    Yipes, should have added:
    I still have 3 weeks wherein I can return this cdma Verizon, & get a GSM, if that would be a better unit to use.
    Thanks for any replies !
    Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_newbie_2012 View Post
    Hello,
    Just signed up 5 minutes ago & already found the forum I need.
    I just purchased a Palm Pre Plus on the web, cdma Verizon. The only thing that comes up is a login to palm profile screen which fails because I am not hooked into Verizon, & don't want to.
    I bought this phone ONLY to use the beautiful Palm calendar I was used to on my now-deceased Treo 90.
    Two gentlemen above said they de-activated their phone.
    HOW can I do that, so I can use the calendar only, without having to waste money on phone activation?
    I just want to use the Palm calendar.
    If someone could point me to a step-by-step list I would sure appreciate it.
    Thanks !!!
    Doug
    When you start up the phone, after setting the language and whatnot, there should be an icon at the bottom of the screen resembling a old-style phone handset. Touch that and select "emergency call" (or however it's worded). By default, it should bring up the dialer application, prepopulated with "911". Delete that out, and instead dial "##6686633#" without the quotes. If that doesn't work, you might need to type in "#*6686633#". One of the two.

Anyway, that should bring up the developer mode enabler. Toggle it on and the device will prompt for a restart. On that restart, you'll be greeted with a fully (mostly) up and running webOS phone. You won't be signed in to a Palm Profile (so no app catalog or backups), but it will otherwise work. You can bring in your email accounts, your calendar stuff, connect to wifi, what have you.

Take my previous posts with a grain of salt, with respect to re-signing in to a Palm Profile. I'm not sure if the using the First Use/Gesture Tutorial apps to re-run the "activation" process is something you can do out of the box, or if it's something added in to some "custom" webOS images.

As far as the hardware is concerned, the only difference between the CDMA and GSM Pre Plusses is the radio hardware. If you never plan on using it as a cell phone, you'll never know the difference.
    Thanks, Jeffro,
    Love your screen name, makes me want to learn to play the guitar.
    I tried both numbers, even pushing the green "dial a call" button, & it did not work.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks again !!!
    Doug
    (warm today in Colorado)
    Jeffro-Tull:
    Been looking around the web, found a comment somewhere, maybe developer.palm.com, said GSM was #*devmode#, CDMA was ##devmode#. As I was inputting that noticed that D and E are on the 3 key, so that would make it, for my cdma, ##3386633#, but even that does not work, shucks.
    If you can think of anything else to try, would like to hear it.
    Thanks again !!!
    Doug
    For anyone else looking to get into their profile form a 2.1 device, you can also just install Impostah from Preware or WOSQI, hit the activation button within the app, then log into your profile from there and reboot.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_newbie_2012 View Post
    Jeffro-Tull:
    Been looking around the web, found a comment somewhere, maybe developer.palm.com, said GSM was #*devmode#, CDMA was ##devmode#. As I was inputting that noticed that D and E are on the 3 key, so that would make it, for my cdma, ##3386633#, but even that does not work, shucks.
    If you can think of anything else to try, would like to hear it.
    Thanks again !!!
    Doug
    Doug, the #3386633# worked for me on a no longer active Sprint Pre- running 2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by ClementeCa View Post
    It locks up and gives me a black screen until I reboot.
    [URL= to view quoted image
    [/URL][URL= to view quoted image
    [/URL]
    what have you tried as of yet? Do not run gesture tutorial, for this will usually give the symptoms described. If your interested in learning to metadoctor, there are scripts to use for wifi only. It's easy to do once you learn (read Wiki completely and look for making a wifi only phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ulmens View Post
    what have you tried as of yet? Do not run gesture tutorial, for this will usually give the symptoms described. If your interested in learning to metadoctor, there are scripts to use for wifi only. It's easy to do once you learn (read Wiki completely and look for making a wifi only phone.
    This is exactly what I'm trying to do (Verizon = satan) but I can't find the wiki cuz I'm a ******. Do you have a link?
    Quote Originally Posted by funkiikong View Post
    This is exactly what I'm trying to do (Verizon = satan) but I can't find the wiki cuz I'm a ******. Do you have a link?
    search webos 2 upgrade for webos internals This will give you the overall of info the process and the link for how to build your metadoctor. Its not as difficult as it first sounds, jump on in. http://en.m.webos-internals.org/wiki/WebOS_2_Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by ulmens View Post
    search webos 2 upgrade for webos internals This will give you the overall of info the process and the link for how to build your metadoctor. Its not as difficult as it first sounds, jump on in. WebOS 2 Upgrade
    aww shoot I'm on a pre+ so its not 2.0 - such a thing exist for 1.4.5 ? Thanks for that quick reply btw!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkiikong View Post
    aww shoot I'm on a pre+ so its not 2.0 - such a thing exist for 1.4.5 ? Thanks for that quick reply btw!
    The upgrade is all about putting webOS 2.1 on any Pre. I have a Pre and Pre+ both with webOS 2.1.