1.    #1  
    Hello there,

I need some advice on how I proceed to return a webos phone that I just bought from ebay, which now I think it was lost/stolen.

The phone didn't come with original usb-cable-charger, box, and manual. But it came with a non-original charger, old sim card, and old data and profile unwiped in it. Bad I didn't ask the seller much for I had a few good past buying experiennce on ebay (looks like not this one). So be aware of these kind of warning signs and make sure you check when buying used phones.

I can see previous user's contact info (email and phone number.) My plan is to carefully confirm and return this phone to previous owner. As multiple webos devices owner I can imagine the pain owners may go through after lost their beloved devices. So I want they have it back.

I am considering one or more actions below.
    * Contact the seller.
    * Contact the user via email, or even phone call.
    * Check with the phone company
    * Check with HP support and profile
    * Contact ebay.

Any recommendation how I interact with them and scenarios I should be aware of?

Besides being afraid of scam and hassle, I have privacy and personoal concerns about this.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    Most webOS users are to dumb to know how to wipe their phone.
    I wouldn't worry if I were you. You sound like one of them.
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I wouldn't be too concerned about your own personal information. You could always do a full erase and doctor bringing the unit back to factory state.

If you have the old user's email you could try to contact him/her and ask if they lost their phone. However, they could have easily used their Palm Profile to wipe their information from the phone. My guess is that they either didn't know or didn't bother.

It's nice that you are concerned. Keep us informed of what happens.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by wosdan View Post
    Hello there,

I need some advice on how I proceed to return a webos phone that I just bought from ebay, which now I think it was lost/stolen.

The phone didn't come with original usb-cable-charger, box, and manual. But it came with a non-original charger, old sim card, and old data and profile unwiped in it. Bad I didn't ask the seller much for I had a few good past buying experiennce on ebay (looks like not this one). So be aware of these kind of warning signs and make sure you check when buying used phones.

I can see previous user's contact info (email and phone number.) My plan is to carefully confirm and return this phone to previous owner. As multiple webos devices owner I can imagine the pain owners may go through after lost their beloved devices. So I want they have it back.

I am considering one or more actions below.
    * Contact the seller.
    * Contact the user via email, or even phone call.
    * Check with the phone company
    * Check with HP support and profile
    * Contact ebay.

Any recommendation how I interact with them and scenarios I should be aware of?

Besides being afraid of scam and hassle, I have privacy and personoal concerns about this.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    Did you use pay-pal on the purchace?? If so.... I would contact them and they will give you your money back and then they will go after the seller themselves. Also you should contact ebay and they will not allow the seller to ever use ebay again. I wouldn't contact the seller myself unless you think that they will fix the situation for you??????
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    I would first try to make sure that the phone is stolen/lost. Try contacting the previous owner, HP, or their carrier to check.

If it is stolen/lost, then contact ebay, Paypal, and anyone else involve.

I know my niece had her laptop stolen and the police said to watch Craig's list and report to them if she sees it listed.
    I once bought a phone with a profile on it and a bunch of text messages. It was the seller's phone but he did not know enough about webOS to erase it, he was using it as a second phone I think. Was kind of creepy to see his stuff and I erased it as soon as I saw it.