Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    so coming up on my third year with my Sprint Palm Pre. I've been a very vocal advocate of webOS for a while now, Four Touchpads in the family (and trying to sell a 5th). My Pre was replaced 3 times but I struck gold on the last one and its been good since then. Love webOS but absence of hardware limits me. So its time for me to move on. I'm split between an android phone and WP7 phone.what would be the best choice here. I'd like as much similarity to webOS but know that would be impossible.

~AGP
    WP7 makes for a relatively easy transition from webOS but your hardware choice on Sprint is a single WP device that's nearing EOL. Its a got a great physical kb but it's still only a 3G device. Could pick one up used for a decent price. If you are going to stick with Sprint then you will have to wait until the summer/fall for new 4G devices. Otherwise AT&T has tons of options right now for hardware.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
    Last edited by foosball; 02/13/2012 at 11:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sindizzy View Post
    so coming up on my third year with my Sprint Palm Pre. I've been a very vocal advocate of webOS for a while now, Four Touchpads in the family (and trying to sell a 5th). My Pre was replaced 3 times but I struck gold on the last one and its been good since then. Love webOS but absence of hardware limits me. So its time for me to move on. I'm split between an android phone and WP7 phone.what would be the best choice here. I'd like as much similarity to webOS but know that would be impossible.

~AGP
    If you're really into webOS, and want to stick with the platform, I suggest going the Sprint Frankenpre route. It is a very easy process and webOS Internals have done a great job getting documentation to be almost ***** proof. All you need for the conversion is a T5 driver, and a GSM or Verizon Pre2. They are getting really cheap lately, and the hardware/performance on the device is lightning fast. I made the jump about 6 months ago and have never looked back. Plan on keeping this until we can port Open webOS 1.0 to something like the Galaxy Nexus.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    nope...have to stay with Sprint.
    The other advantage of the Frankenpre route is that you don't get the extra $10 smartphone fee. As long as you keep the same comm board, Sprint thinks you have the old Pre. Switching to another smartphone will cost you at least another $120 per year.
    Quote Originally Posted by sindizzy View Post
    nope...have to stay with Sprint.
    I went through the same thing... ended up making a FrankenPre2 on Sprint. Two words: LOVE it!
    If you really desire to stay with webOS, I say go the FrankenPre 2 route. As Fisack23 points out above; you'll also save $10 a month since Sprint will see it as the original Sprint Pre.

I've been using a Sprint Pre 2 for about a year now, and it's great. I've been eligible for an upgrade since last year, but have still kept using my Pre 2. It still works well and the build quality puts the Pre - to shame. It's solid & doesn't oreo, my Gorilla Glass screen is still scratch free without using any screen protectors, and I don't have to overclock this thing. I've been running it stock at 1Ghz for the past year, and it's still runs smooth. The Pre 2 is a great piece of hardware, you won't be disappointed.

However, if you really desire to get a new phone on Sprint without the need for Franken surgery, I would wait for the Galaxy Nexus to be released. It should be out later this year in either the Spring or Summer. Out of all the Android phones on Sprint I think the Galaxy Nexus will be the best choice. Seeing how it will come loaded with Ice Cream Sandwich (which was designed by the same person that helped design webOS), that's about as close to webOS as you're gonna get on Sprint.

Also the Nexus line of phones are the only Android phones that you can depend on to get future updates. I also imagine that once webOS get's opened sourced, the Galaxy Nexus would probably be a popular device that get's a webOS port. In fact, seeing how Rod already has a Galaxy Nexus & even modded it so it can charge via the TouchStone: http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...rging-how.html
    I'd say it's almost a guarantee that he will have webOS running on it once everything is opened sourced.

So I'd recommend either getting a Pre 2 & FrankenPre it, or wait for the Galaxy Nexus to become available on Sprint.
    FrankenPre would be great if you have the know how and gumption to do it. From what people have said it is very easy too do and may be more of an option now for me being less impressed by Android now my primary mobile unit.

Picked up a Droid Bionic off contract last year and paid handsomely for something not quite ready for production. Thankfully my TouchPad has both webOS and CM9 running smoothly and ICS is a huge improvement compared to previous Android builds like my present 2.3 Android Eclipse install on my Bionic. Eclipse cleaned things up nicely, but sadly they had to remove half of what Verizon and Motorola installed to make the Dual-core and 1gb Bionic usable. WebOS would fly on this hardware and sadly ICS won't be available anytime soon with everything I need (camera still missing on latest attempts and I use it all the time for work).

If I could do it again, probably would have switched to Verizon and picked up a Pre 3 also at considerable prices.
    FrankenPre may be your best bet if you plan to stay on Sprint, but Sprint lost my business a long time ago and sadly won't ever get it back (long story, but Sprint tried to screw us for $1000 saying we broke our 2.5 year original contract).

If you do move to Android, some of the newer Samsung Galaxy builds work very very well and they should be on Sprints platform by now. I also suspect they'll (Galaxy) all be getting ICS sooner then later since they are Google and Samsung's premiere platform and release interface. Don't really have much to say about Windows mobile and I really need to try one out and see if MS has anything to offer. Sorli...
    Huh? Creating a Franken device is fairly easy...