1.    #1  
    Hello,

while getting used with my "new" Palm Pre, I noticed, that when I'm connected with a network and I open a message, external images are being loaded into the message. As far as I know, this is an issue to increase the number of junk messages you'll get in the future, because the sender has the ability to see, that his mail was opened.
    Is there a possibiliy to tell my Pre, not to open external images? So far I'm disconnecting my Pre before reading mails. But that isn't very comfortable.
    I don’t know about such a patch or feature, but it definitely is something to think about! As I receive all my mails through Google, I have no spam issues, but this would also be great to reduce traffic for one’s data plan!
    webOS is simply fabulous

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
    in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
    I can't recall - can you tell the Pre to use text only rendering and ignore html? This is a security risk anyway - I prefer to set all my email clients to text only if possible.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I can't recall - can you tell the Pre to use text only rendering and ignore html? This is a security risk anyway - I prefer to set all my email clients to text only if possible.
    I would like to do this. But as I read in several discussions in the forums, this isn't possible on Palm Pre...
    So the only way not letting the sender know, that I have opened his message is to cancel network connection?
  5.    #5  
    Last year I tried to write a patch, but I didn't succeed. Maybe this can be solved, if someone has a hint how to get further.

This is what I tried so far:

In the file /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/message-assistant.jsjsjs ($webOS$ $1$.$4$.$5$) $on$ $line$ $841$ $the$ $seems$ $to$ $be$ $the$ $command$, $where$ $the$ $content$ $of$ $the$ $Mail$ $is$ $put$ $into$ $view$:

Code:
    this.webview.mojo.openURL("file://" + data.textURI);
    data.textURI seems to be the place, where all emails are stored temorarily as html-file when opened. If I replace the above code line with:
    Code:
    this.webview.mojo.openURL("file://" + "/var/luna/data/temp_html_email/67070209294354.html");
    then all emails in my list open exactly the same content.

So if it would be possible to manipulate the content of these files (or generate duplicates with manipulated content) then you could (for examlpe) change all "src=" into "alt=###" and no external content would be loaded.

Does anybody know how to do this?

This would be my so far tested patch:

Code:
    --- .orig/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/message-assistant.jsjsjs
    +++ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$message$-$assistant$.$js$
    @@ -$836$,$6$ +$836$,$12$ @@
     		}

$this$.$hideNoBodyUI$();
    +		$var$ $emailText$ = $palmGetResource$($data$.$text$, $true$);
    +		$if$ ($emailText$.$search$(/$src$=.+/) != -$1$) {
    +          $Mojo$.$Controller$.$getAppController$().$showBanner$({
    +            $messageText$ : &$quot$;$External$ $Data$!&$quot$; }, 
    +            {}, &$quot$;&$quot$;);
    +		}
     		$try$ {
     			$Mojo$.$Log$.$breadcrumb$(&$quot$;$rendering$ $URI$&$quot$; + $data$.$textURI$);
     			$this$.$webview$.$mojo$.$openURL$(&$quot$;$file$://&$quot$; + $data$.$textURI$);
    Before the email-content is loaded, there is a test if it contains a "src="-string. At the Moment only a banner is shown in this case. As you can see in the files below, the recognition seems to work.

If I would modify the patch this way:

Code:
    --- .orig/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/message-assistant.jsjsjs
    +++ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$message$-$assistant$.$js$
    @@ -$836$,$6$ +$836$,$12$ @@
     		}

$this$.$hideNoBodyUI$();
    +		$var$ $emailText$ = $palmGetResource$($data$.$text$, $true$);
    +		$if$ ($emailText$.$search$(/$src$=.+/) != -$1$) {
    +          $Mojo$.$Controller$.$getAppController$().$showBanner$({
    +            $messageText$ : &$quot$;$External$ $Data$!&$quot$; }, 
    +            {}, &$quot$;&$quot$;);
    +		} $else$ {
     		$try$ {
     			$Mojo$.$Log$.$breadcrumb$(&$quot$;$rendering$ $URI$&$quot$; + $data$.$textURI$);
     			$this$.$webview$.$mojo$.$openURL$(&$quot$;$file$://&$quot$; + $data$.$textURI$);
    @@ -$842$,$7$ +$848$,$7$ @@
     		} $catch$ ($e$) {
     			$Mojo$.$Log$.$logException$($e$, '$renderMessageBody$ $openUrl$');	
     		}
    -			
    +		}	
     		// $If$ $the$ $service$ $didn$'$t$ $supply$ $the$ $text$ $to$ $use$ $for$ $replying$ $to$ $an$ $email$, $request$ $it$ $now$.
     		$if$ (!$data$.$text$) {
     			$var$ $processTextProperty$ = $this$.$processTextProperty$;
    all emails with external content seem to be blocked completely.

Is there anybody with suggestions, how to improve the situation?
    Attached Images Attached Images