Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fordprc
  • 1 Post By boovish
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I have a Verizon pre plus with free mobile hotspot. it is stuck in headset mode I have tried all the fixes and my screen has a small crack. I am thinking about buying a used replacement on ebay but I was wondering if anyone has done this and lost the free mobile hotspot feature. I use it all the time and would hate to lose it. I would upgrade to a pre 2 but I am sure I would lose it then. My other option is to wait 2 month when I am due for a upgrade and get a new phone but I will really miss my pre.
    Have you looked into the Freetether app to see if that will help in your decision?
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I have never felt comfortable in trying to hack my phone. I am using just a stock pre plus, and Touchpad and like them the way they are.
    I bought a used pre + on ebay to replace my broken one. No loss of free hotspot. Verizon rep said the service would be free as long as I used a pre +.
    Deradorn likes this.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Good to know. Thank you.
    For the curious or more adventurous, I frankenpre'd my pre+ and a pre2 and kept the mobile hotspot that way. The pre2 is such a better experience in almost every way. As for freetether, that'd limit you to 2 gb/mo total, compared to 5+2 this way. WebOS 2 is great:-)
    palm lineage: VzPre+ to Pre2 to Pre3, now using a AT&T Pre3 on wifi and Panda Touchpad.
    DU unlock codes available (Veers, Pres, etc, Oh my!)
    Has Pre3s & tpFauxG for sale!
    (Sales prices always less than ebay)
    Quote Originally Posted by sanaking View Post
    For the curious or more adventurous, I frankenpre'd my pre+ and a pre2 and kept the mobile hotspot that way. The pre2 is such a better experience in almost every way. As for freetether, that'd limit you to 2 gb/mo total, compared to 5+2 this way. WebOS 2 is great:-)

Can I use thepalm pre hot spot without activating the phone? I am a palm centro user and wanted to buy a palm pre but it seems that I can;t synch my datecalendar and contacts. So I wanted to know if the hotspot will work without activating service with verizon. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by samino View Post
    Can I use thepalm pre hot spot without activating the phone? I am a palm centro user and wanted to buy a palm pre but it seems that I can;t synch my datecalendar and contacts. So I wanted to know if the hotspot will work without activating service with verizon. Thanks.
    You need someone's 3g signal to use to generate your wifi hotspot. I don't know how you can get access to a 3g signal without purchasing service from a provider.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Deradorn View Post
    I have a Verizon pre plus with free mobile hotspot. it is stuck in headset mode I have tried all the fixes and my screen has a small crack. I am thinking about buying a used replacement on ebay but I was wondering if anyone has done this and lost the free mobile hotspot feature. I use it all the time and would hate to lose it. I would upgrade to a pre 2 but I am sure I would lose it then. My other option is to wait 2 month when I am due for a upgrade and get a new phone but I will really miss my pre.
    I've switch my pre plus with vzw several times and the free hotspot is always there during activation so no worries there
    I was looking at Verizon's new share everything plans. In my particular circumstances it may make sense for me to get off my pre-existing unlimited plan which includes the free 5 GB mobile hotspot for use with my Pre +. I give up a Gig of data but I do get unlimited messaging which is now job required, so it's a trade off.

If I make the switch, I'll give my Pre+ to the bride, and activate a Pre 2 . My question is whether or not my unactivated Pre 2 includes the mobile hotspot application (like on the Pre +) which will be compatible with the mobile hotspot included in the new Verizon plan. Does anyone know? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanaking View Post
    I would LOVE to do this, sanaking! I just purchased a Pre 2 as a replacement for my delapidated Pre Plus. I had no idea I would lose my hot spot with the replacement. Please contact me with info how-to. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam777 View Post
    I would LOVE to do this, sanaking! I just purchased a Pre 2 as a replacement for my delapidated Pre Plus. I had no idea I would lose my hot spot with the replacement. Please contact me with info how-to. Thank you!
    Just search for "frankenpre" on this site or the internet, and all the instructions will be there. You just have to be with someone that's comfortable opening electronics Otherwise since I assume you're not using your Verizon upgrade to get the phone, you'd still keep your 5gb of data and not be switched to the 2gb plan even with your brand-new non-frankenPre'd Pre2.
    palm lineage: VzPre+ to Pre2 to Pre3, now using a AT&T Pre3 on wifi and Panda Touchpad.
    DU unlock codes available (Veers, Pres, etc, Oh my!)
    Has Pre3s & tpFauxG for sale!
    (Sales prices always less than ebay)
    Having issue with pixi palm plus when using mobile hotspot . Turn it on and connect devices ( 2 home laptops ) one will lock in while the other keeps dropping off an reconnecting . The verizon logo and mobile hotspot keeps flickering back and forth . Only the one loptop does this and the wpa/wpa2 are both set up the same way on each laptop . The phone has always done this with the one laptop . Tried finding somthing on this but the search was a dead end . Sorry if not in the correct area but if someone would help , Thanks in advance . Saving this page in fav and will check back . Pixi Man , Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Deradorn View Post
    Actually, you get grandfathered into the free hotspot. I know this because I am using a Pre3, and I still have the 5GB free ever since my Pixi Plus.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixi man View Post
    Having issue with pixi palm plus when using mobile hotspot . Turn it on and connect devices ( 2 home laptops ) one will lock in while the other keeps dropping off an reconnecting . The verizon logo and mobile hotspot keeps flickering back and forth . Only the one loptop does this and the wpa/wpa2 are both set up the same way on each laptop . The phone has always done this with the one laptop . Tried finding somthing on this but the search was a dead end . Sorry if not in the correct area but if someone would help , Thanks in advance . Saving this page in fav and will check back . Pixi Man , Peace
    Still need some info on above issue , if anybody has an idea on why the hotspot drop out an back in . It doesnt do it all the time but will do it while on line in a sitting . Also , is there any advantage on Tethering ?