Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. HappyPalm's Avatar
    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
       #1  
    Since it looks like WebOS will sadly be going under, I had decided my next phone would be a Windows Phone, but after using a virtual keyboard on an iPhone and hating the experience (even had a fellow iPhone user admit texting is much faster on my Palm), I realized my next phone "must" have a real keyboard - especially since I do a lot of texting.

    AT&T currently doesn't carry a Windows Phone with a slide-out keyboard, so I guess I'll have to opt for an Android...unless WebOS can be saved!!

    Anyone else stuck on the slide-out keyboards?

    UPDATE: I now how a Nokia Lumia 900 Windows Phone with a "virtual" keyboard, but I love it!!!!
    Last edited by HappyPalm; 06/07/2012 at 01:44 PM.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyPalm View Post
    Since it looks like WebOS will sadly be going under, I had decided my next phone would be a Windows Phone, but after using a virtual keyboard on an iPhone and hating the experience (even had a fellow iPhone user admit texting is much faster on my Palm), I realized my next phone "must" have a real keyboard - especially since I do a lot of texting.

    AT&T currently doesn't carry a Windows Phone with a slide-out keyboard, so I guess I'll have to opt for an Android...unless WebOS can be saved!!

    Anyone else stuck on the slide-out keyboards?
    Check out the Dell Venue
    Dell Venue Pro Smartphone - Windows Phone | Dell
  3. romeytang's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #3  
    I totally miss not having a slide out KB. I wish I wasn't stuck with sprint as they don't have any good options. I would love if they had a version of the Blackberry Torch 9810
  4. #4  
    If its a short message I prefer the vk, for long texts and email I prefer the side out keyboard
  5. HappyPalm's Avatar
    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by beangeary View Post
    I appreciate everyone's input so far!!

    beangeary,
    Thank you so much for that information!! I had no idea that phone was available through AT&T!! That is really great to know - I'd really love to go with the Windows OS.
  6. #6  
    After my pre I went with a Samsung epic because it had a keyboard. The only time I use it is when I'm playing emulators. Sonic and Mario are kinda tough with the on screen controls. I installed Swype and typing with that is a breeze.

    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
  7. #7  
    I had Palm phones for years and thought I would never want a virtual keyboard. However, I just got a Windows Phone (HTC Trophy) and am amazed at how fast I can type. The key is, how good the auto correct works. It's amazing. If you trust the correction, you can type fast and almost always have everything corrected. I have also used an IPhone and while it's good, it doesn't do as good as the Windows Phone. There is no doubt, after about two weeks, I can type faster than with my Pre2.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I had Palm phones for years and thought I would never want a virtual keyboard. However, I just got a Windows Phone (HTC Trophy) and am amazed at how fast I can type. The key is, how good the auto correct works. It's amazing. If you trust the correction, you can type fast and almost always have everything corrected. I have also used an IPhone and while it's good, it doesn't do as good as the Windows Phone. There is no doubt, after about two weeks, I can type faster than with my Pre2.
    Don't see how any keyboard virtual keyboard can be faster than typing from feel. That's like saying you can type just as fast looking and aiming as you could without looking. Seems to me like you look at the keys on the physical keyboard as well as the vk so there is not much difference
  9. #9  
    You can type faster with virtual keyboard than physical keyboard. Try it yourself. Just type and don't pause to see which letter you hit or whether you spelled correctly. You do all the corrections at the end before sending. It's a bit of a behavior change compared to typing on physical keyboards. Watch Aaron on Phonedog blaze through "The quick brown fox..." when he's reviewing phones.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    You can type faster with virtual keyboard than physical keyboard. Try it yourself. Just type and don't pause to see which letter you hit or whether you spelled correctly. You do all the corrections at the end before sending. It's a bit of a behavior change compared to typing on physical keyboards. Watch Aaron on Phonedog blaze through "The quick brown fox..." when he's reviewing phones.
    If you say so
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    You can type faster with virtual keyboard than physical keyboard. Try it yourself. Just type and don't pause to see which letter you hit or whether you spelled correctly. You do all the corrections at the end before sending. It's a bit of a behavior change compared to typing on physical keyboards. Watch Aaron on Phonedog blaze through "The quick brown fox..." when he's reviewing phones.
    For those of us that type on a full-size keyboard this is not an option. I am an excellent touch types, I do it every day all day, will never be faster on a VKB, I have tried it... Typing on one right now, drives me insane.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    You can type faster with virtual keyboard than physical keyboard. Try it yourself. Just type and don't pause to see which letter you hit or whether you spelled correctly. You do all the corrections at the end before sending. It's a bit of a behavior change compared to typing on physical keyboards. Watch Aaron on Phonedog blaze through "The quick brown fox..." when he's reviewing phones.
    This is an argument for auto correct as opposed to actual typing accuracy or speed. And don't physical keyboard have the auto correct?
  13. #13  
    I'm not much for Windows Phone, but I like having a real KB. That's why I went with a Droid 3. It's a horizontal slider and the VKb have swype, but I still prefer the real KB.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

    My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
  14. JJCook's Avatar
    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    #14  
    I struggle with the vkb on my Touchpad. I'm used to being a touch typist and not having that fee, those home keys is tough.

    I've tried my son's horizontal slide out and I also prefer the vertical. Just make another Pre style phone (better quality) and I'll be happy! Love my Pre2!
  15. HappyPalm's Avatar
    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
       #15  
    Update:
    I purchased a Windows Phone last week--the Nokia Lumia 900. I love it!!!!

    Yes, I miss my slide-out keyboard. However, I "don't" miss having to slide it out all the time, and touching the screen is easier than having to push keys, but it's not as fast. With the slide-out keyboard, I used both thumbnails to type, and it went "fast." I can use both thumbs to type on the Lumia, but I hit a lot of the wrong keys. However, the auto correct on Windows Phone is sooo awesome that it usually always knows what I am trying to say and corrects it for me. If it doesn't, I can just click on the word, and a list of words comes up that I can chose from for it to automatically change to. It's a "lot" faster making corrections on my WP than with my Palm Pre Plus, and it's definitely easier to contro, or I just type the word I want with the incorrect word highlighted, and it changes. lt's also much easier to control the cursor placement and to select text. So, typing is about the same. I do have to make more corrections, but again, it's so easy to do. I also love that WP has a spell checker, as WebOS didn't. It underlines a misspelled word, and you just tap it and choose which word you want--soooo nice!!!!

    So, I'm very happy with my Nokia Lumia 900 Windows Phone!!!! The live tiles are also super fun, and I love that it actually has most all of the major apps as well--I finally feel like I'm back in the main smart phone world again. haha I do wish WebOS had caught on though--it was a very elegant OS--just didn't have the money behind it to propel it forward. It was an underdog with superior software. But again, I'm loving Windows Phone. I was deciding between WP and iPhone. Android seems too "buggy" to me. I found iPhone annoying to use (especially after coming from the sleek WebOS), and I liked that Windows Phone is compatible with my PC, and also that it has a standard "back" button. iPhone's non-existent back button drives me crazy.

Posting Permissions