Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kayphoonstar
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if there is a number sequence that can be input in the phone dialer (##???#) that would force a Pre into USB mode? Tried all the other ways with keyboad and vol up. Just won't go into usb o recovey mode. This is a pieced together pe for testing. Do not need carrier or Palm profile. Have a meta-doctored 2.1 to put on it that will bypass al that. Can not install the bypass either since no usb mode. All idea appreciated.
    So you've tried holding Volume Up while plugging in the USB cable?
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    I believe that for webos 2.0 (definitely 2.1) and up, you can do ##DVEMODE# (aka ##3386633#) and that will enable dev mode, which also opens the USB port for programming.

The regular way to get into recovery mode, just so it's clear is as follows:

-with your phone turned OFF, hold the volume up button (nothing gets pressed on the keyboard)

-continue holding the volume up button, and plug the phone into your PC's USB

-keep holding the volume up button with the phone now plugged in until a USB logo appears on the phone screen (should be within 10 sec, unless your battery is completely dead, in which case you need to charge a bit first before trying this)

-if the phone looks like its just powering up normally, recover mode didn't start, so unplug from usb, pull the battery out and back in, and then try again
  4.    #4  
    Yes I have tried all the above and searched through all the forums. I don't think the up volume buttons works. Tried all the keyboard combos, ie. Orange/sym/r , just r, etc.
    keyboard does seem to function properly. Also can get to dialer ok. Was able to do a reset through dialer using ##786#. I do get to the activation screen, but don't want to do that.
    Computer (XP) sees the phone as being there as a palm device. Novacomd loads without errors. No palm programs will see it though. No doctor, webos quick install or webos repair utility or devicetool will see it. Tried different cables etc.
    Since it sounds like you are able to boot up all the way normally, so did you try enabling dev mode using the regular "hidden code" method?

from the main screen, without any apps open, type webOS20090606. This will bring up the hidden app for enabling dev mode. tap to open the app, set the switch to ON, and let the phone reboot. once it reboots you should be ok to doctor or whatever. No need for recovery mode at that point.
    Last edited by sq5; 01/11/2012 at 05:08 PM.
  6.    #6  
    I can't get past the activation screen. It wants to call Verizon to activate. So no, can't put it into dev mode. Did try ##devmode# And #*devmode#. Did not appear to do anything. Also I do not know what version OS is on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dballew View Post
    I can't get past the activation screen. It wants to call Verizon to activate. So no, can't put it into dev mode. Did try ##devmode# And #*devmode#. Did not appear to do anything. Also I do not know what version OS is on the phone.
    If youre stuck at actication, but the various # codes in the dialer do nothing, then that phone is probably running an older webOS version before 2.0, or something similar. In that case, your only option is to get it into recovery mode using the volume button trick, at least this one time.

Once you are able to do that and use the metadoctor to upgrade the phone to 2.1 or whatever, then you will have more choices for the future, and won't need to rely on the volume button.

Perhaps the problem is that your volume rocker isnt pressing down enough on the actual button underneath.

Try taking the back cover off the phone, and carefully popping off the volume rocker. Then use a pencil or something with a small point to press the actual underlying button when doing the recovery mode trick. Remember to follow my instructions above to the letter regarding that procedure.
  8.    #8  
    thanks for all the input. I will keep at it.
    Just to be clear, when you are in the activation screen, you tap on the phone icon at the bottom, bring up the dialer, backspace to remove '911', enter ##338633# (pressing send - shouldn't be necessary) and nothing happens?
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Just to be clear, when you are in the activation screen, you tap on the phone icon at the bottom, bring up the dialer, backspace to remove '911', enter ##338633# (pressing send - shouldn't be necessary) and nothing happens?
    That's how I understood it, which would make sense if he's using a stock Pre or Pre+ running 1.4.5 since the ##338633# does nothing under webOS versions prior to 2.x.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Correct. That seems to do nothing.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I didn't see this mentioned but are you using a palm cable or a difernt one? When I updated to webOS 2.1 a while ago, I was also unable to get to the usb mode. I didn't realize I was using my wifes HTC cable. After I swapped the cable with the palm one, I had no issue at all.
  13.    #13  
    Using Palm cable, plus have tried other cables. Cables work fine with my everyday use Pre.
  14.    #14  
    Using Palm cable, plus have tried other cables. Cables work fine with my everyday use Pre.
    Ok I finally got the up volume to work at least once. Enough to get it doctored back. Thanks for all the input!
    Ok I finally got the up volume to work at least once. Enough to get it doctored back. Thanks for all the input!
    That's great to hear! Way to persevere with it. Now that you're on the 2.1 system, you should have an easy time if necessary in the future.